Celebration Of Service In Honor Of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Location: Thorp Elementary School
Date: Saturday, January 17, 2015; 7:00 am-4:00 pm

“If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way”
-          Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

When the email came asking for participants, as usual, I had replied in the affirmative.  Then they said that they didn’t need me and I had responded by saying that I really wanted to do it and that it would be “heartbreaking” if I did not.  This dramatic appeal seems to have worked since I got a phone call from Chicago Cares saying that they would find something for me.  Finally, I got an email from Rich asking if I would help out and I said that of course I would.  So I was finally assigned to a school way down on the South side where I would be leading the painting of a classroom.

It was time once again
Once again, Stacy was my Primary Leader and she said that she could pick me up, but it would have to be early.  That was fine with me and so at 6:45 am, she picked me up and we drove all the way south to the school.  We arrived to see that Rich was already there, along with a few other leaders from ‘Target’.  Rich was recovering from a broken ankle and so had some sort of a scooter on which to rest his leg.  I said that we would be having races down the corridor by the time this was all done.  We went to the Principal’s office to drop off our stuff, just as other leaders arrived – both Chicago Cares and 'Target'

The state of the room when I arrived
Besides the class room paintings, there were projects to make murals and wall logos, building planters and making pillows…though I had no clue what that meant.  We went for a walk and the school had two buildings, with most of the classrooms in the annex.  My classroom, 143 was right next to where all the supplies were stored.  Well, at least I wouldn’t have to travel far.  But all of my enthusiasm went out of the window as soon as I stepped inside my classroom.  No prep work had been done.  All of the furniture was still in place.  It looked like a reading room for kids and all around were tables and shelves of books.  Plus there were lot of things on the wall and the room was overcrowded with…stuff.

Since there were 2 hours to go before the volunteers arrived, I got down to work and started by moving all the furniture to the center of the room.  Some of the bookcases and tables had wheels, while some did not and were heavy.  I moved the furniture for next hour and it was brutal at times.  I tried to get everything pushed away from the wall and to the center of the room.  I told Stacy that I could ask the volunteers to take down the wall things, but she said I should get started.  I must admit that I was a bit ticked off that the school officials had not done anything to prepare for our arrival.  Some of the wall hangings were screwed tight and Rich said that I should leave them in.  I started taking the posters down and they had been stuck using duct tape; some of which was peeling the paint when pulled off.  A volunteer leader from 'Target' came to help me, and for the next several minutes, the two of us took down stuff from the wall.  The most time consuming thing was then taking off the tape from the back since it was extremely sticky.  Ironic that I was helping make things from duct tape just 2 days ago!

The 'Target' volunteers had started arriving and it was time to go to the auditorium for the welcome and orientation.  As we waited, I was chatting with the Chicago cares volunteers and learnt that almost all of them were “Auxiliary Board Members”.  They usually do these annual events and I urged them to try and get out in the field more often for not much has been learned by just sitting in the boardrooms.  Inside the auditorium the 'Target' volunteers had assembled and were waiting for instructions.  We had each been given cards stating our projects and were asked to recruit volunteers in the crowd by handing them these cards.  I had 7 cards and I was sure that I would need more than that.  I went into the crowd and handed out my 7 cards.  The opening ceremony started, with a choir followed by a performance by the school’s cheer leaders.  Stacy got the crowd going – and she is fantastic at doing that - followed by the Principal welcoming everyone.  Then one of the 'Target' managers took the mike and really got the crowd excited by getting them to cheer “We are Target”

Now it was time to go and I held up a sign for my volunteers, so that they could follow me, and only 3 girls of the 7 showed up.  I told Rich that I would definitely need more people.  I learned that two of the girls were sisters and the 3rd was their friend.  One of them said that we should have music and I said that she could be in charge of that, though there was music blaring through the speakers.  I said that we had 3 main tasks – Prep, Paint and Clean, in that order.  Just as I was doing that Rich got me 3 more guys to help out in the room.  We laid down the paper on the floor and I helped two of the girls put drop cloths on blackboards and other permanent fixtures.  The guys got on the ladders to take down some of the posters that were still there, and clean the top half of the classroom.  We were changing from a light brown to a light blue color.  I put the girls on the lower half of the wall, especially taping off the edges and around moldings, posters, windows etc.  Speaking of edges, I had never seen so many edges and corners in a room before! 

We were taking a long time in taping and it was getting close to 11:30 am, with just an hour to go for lunch.  I asked my crew to pick up the pace and joined them in taping and even painting.  Even though our progress was slow, it was steady and everyone was working quite well with each other.  Rich sent over more people and now we had the room buzzing.  This allowed me a chance to go and look at other projects and I found that most had already finished one coat of paint in their rooms, meaning they were able to lend me a few of their volunteers.  In our room, the lower half had a coat and so I sent the girls off for lunch.  I decided to relieve people in staggered shifts and so asked the 3 guys to stay back to finish at least one coat all over the classroom and to their credit they stayed back. We were done soon and then left for lunch.

All painted in Blue
Inside the auditorium everyone was having lunch and catching up with each other on their morning’s activities.  I stuffed myself quickly and went back to my classroom.  The 3 girls were already there and I got them painting a 2nd coat on the lower half of the room.   I painted the top using rollers, but soon the guys arrived and took to the ladders to paint the top.  Other folks arrived and now we were really rolling.  The guys were doing a great job with the top and I thanked them for their dedication. One of them was a store manager and he said that I deserved some credit as well, which was a kind thing to say.  We finished the 2nd coat and then started peeling the tape.  We were soon done with that and now it was time for cleaning.  I was taking the sleeves off the rollers and it was getting a lot of paint on my gloves.  We double bagged everything that had paint on it and threw away the drop cloths and paper on the floor.  Despite the paper that we had put down, there were paint drops on floor and we all got down on hands and knees scrubbing.  The volunteers were fantastic in their help on this. 

One more 'Celebration of Service' in the books
We did the best we could and then all of us went back to the auditorium for the closing, but not before I had taken a picture of my fantastic crew. Stacy thanked everyone and then everyone lined up for group pictures.  There was a poster with MLK on it and everyone was signing it.  I did so as well and then went over to thank my team.  They really had done a remarkable job…similar to the other 'Target' volunteers of previous years.  After the 'Target' team had left, the leaders took a picture of all of us, and then all of us went back to outside of my classroom to scrub some more of the paint drops.  When the floor was looking decent, we collected our stuff and Stacy dropped me off. There had been some hurdles like the lack of preparation in the room and few volunteers, but we had made it work. It had been another successful day of ‘Celebration of Service’.  

No comments:

Post a Comment