American Cancer Society: Walk & Roll

Location: Soldier Field
Date: Saturday, April 25, 2015; 8:00-11:30 am

I had volunteered for them 2 years ago and it had been an ok experience, primarily because of the people in charge.  But this year Jessie was running things and Carrie was on the committee as well.  So I said that I would help out and she put me on the “Tribute Wall” from 8-1, though I told her that I would have to leave around 11:30.  It was cold and wet as I took a bus to 'Soldier Field' and then walked over to the side of the stadium where several tents had been set up.  I saw the "Volunteer check-in tent" where Allyson and Katherine – my new “Strides” committee leads – checked me in and then gave me a t-shirt to wear; which I promptly put over my jacket.  It was raining and really cold.

The "Tribute Cards"
We had a tent set-up for the “Tribute Wall” and I was paired with another volunteer, Heather.  She had already started setting up the black maker pens on the table as well as arranged the "Tribute Cards".  The cards had a ‘Velcro’ tape on the back and that would stick to the ‘tri-fold’ tribute board.  We had plenty of “In honor of” cards, but just 4 “In memory of”.  So we decided to just use the “Honor” cards.  Besides the cards, there were also ribbons that said “In honor of” or “Survivor”, which people could put on their shirt with a pin.  As we were setting up, the wind was playing havoc and there was a risk of our board toppling over. It needed to be weighted down and so I got some heavy boxes and we used them as support on the back side.  Now we were just waiting for people to come...and stay warm and dry.

As we waited, Heather suggested that we get started by making some cards ourselves.  I made one for my Uncle, who recently underwent treatment, and stuck it on the board, just as people started coming in.  In the meanwhile, the cards on the table were getting wet because of the rain and I was wiping them up before people could use them.  There was a suggestion for a donation, though it certainly was not required.  However, many gave whatever they could and we collected that in a pouch that we had.  And it wasn’t just the visitors; several volunteers did the same as well.  Many were honoring someone and quite a few were “Survivors”.  People asked if we had the “In Memory” cards, but we told them that they could cancel “honor” on the existing cards and write “memory” if they chose.  One gentleman came and made a card for a woman who had passed recently.  Heather was wearing a ‘Red Sox’ cap and he was from Boston as well.  In conversation we learnt that all 3 of us had lived in town a few miles apart.  We also learned that he was a part-time member of a rock band where he was the only member not in their 20s!

Everyone was out braving the weather
People started coming in droves and the wall was filling up.  Many asked if they could come after the walk to collect their card and we said of course.  In fact, I thought that all of these should be saved, and Carrie did indicate that these would be boxed.  I wondered if there is way that ‘ACS’ could build a wall in their office, which would be full of these; just like the ‘Make-A-Wish’ office.  A group came where one of the girls had a dog dressed in a pink shirt.  But the poor thing was getting wet and the girl said that they may have to take her back, which was a shame.  One lady came with 6-8 pre-made cards and then made some more.  Everyone wanted to take a picture with their card or at least a picture of their card on the board.  We were letting them come inside our tent to do so or taking their camera and clicking ourselves.  If people had multiple cards, they wanted them placed in a specific way so as to get all of them in the picture.  Hey, this was a great thing that they were doing and so we did whatever it took on our side.

Jessie stopped by and asked if more people were reluctant to stop by because of the “donations” sign and I said not really.  She asked us to use our discretion if we wanted to leave the sign there.  People came and asked if this was only for the “survivors” and we mentioned that they could make a card to honor whomever they wanted.  Many people were also taking the ribbons and putting them on and it was proving to be a popular thing.  Many were asking logistics related questions such as when the walk was supposed to start or location of various tents, and we were in turn directing them to the “Information Tent”.  All I knew was that the walkers, skaters and bikers were all starting at different times and following different paths.

I literally had to "stand" on the tent
While it was cold and wet, the ‘MC’ on the stage was doing a fantastic of motivating people.  He was keeping everyone’s spirits up with his chatter and choice of music.  While we were shivering, a gust of wind came and one of the legs of our tent came out of the ground.  This was dangerous as the tent could easily collapse on us.  I informed Allyson about this and she said that she would call Carrie. But immediate steps were required and so I went outside and put my foot on one leg of the tent to keep it down.  I was literally standing on one end of the tent to keep it up.  Carrie came and said that there were several other issues going on due to the weather, and so in interests of time and prioritization, we should just call it quits for this one.  I do not like quitting and neither did I think that it was fair to take the board down since people seemed to like it.  But we couldn’t continue the way we were.

I went over to the “Survivor Tent” and asked them if they could accommodate us, and to the credit of the lady there, she made place for us to put our stuff.  So I carried the board over to that tent along with some of our boxes.  We were now set up inside the big tent which was much better in terms of managing the wind.  Around us were t-shirts, wristbands other things for “Survivors” and “Caregivers”.  There was also a makeover station with makeup, wigs etc. for women if they so desired.  There was also some breakfast comprised of bagels and muffins.  In one corner of the tent there was a couple sitting with yoga mats but with the weather, that wasn’t happening and so they left.  This was a shame because they seemed like good folks.  I chatted with the lady who had helped us get set-up and learned that her name was Lisa, and that she has been a volunteer with ‘ACS’ for 20 years.  We had a great conversation as we waited for the walkers to return. 

Our "Tribute Wall"
After a while, the people did come back and a few wanted to collect their cards as promised, making me glad that we had moved in here instead of wrapping up.  I saw a couple of “special needs” volunteers; a man and a woman.  He had put a card on the board in her honor – which was smooth move - and was telling us about all the upcoming things they had in terms of volunteering; including a mid-week protest against the Governor’s policy on health and housing benefits.  I said that their week was looking to be more exciting than mine!  They were a cute couple and I enjoyed their company.  I waited till 11:30 chatting with Heather, Lisa and some of the other volunteers, before leaving.  The weather had started improving and the ‘MC’ now had the crowd dancing.  Kudos to him and all of the participants, for they were the real stars of today.  Certainly makes my job easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment