Summer Spectacular At The Wells Street Café

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2015; 5:30-8:00 pm

Marianne had asked for help on this special occasion where, our usual Dining Hall would be converted to a “High-end” Restaurant for one evening.  She had also asked us to wear Black and White, since we were going to be the “wait staff” for tonight.  In fact, at work when someone asked about my attire, I said that I was going to be waiting tables tonight.  Later on they asked if I was getting late for my “other job”.  Aah well, I probably brought that upon myself.  I arrived to see a lot of activity underway, with the usual hustle and bustle.  There were plenty of volunteers present, though most of them were regulars.  Marianne greeted me and before I could even wash up, she asked all of the wait staff to assemble outside.  We were soon joined by a bunch of college students who were a “mission group” visiting Chicago.  Marianne took a group picture and said that the students would be our assistants.  There were 9 of us on the wait staff and with 18 tables, it I got Tables 17 and 18.  My assistant for these tables would be a kid named Austin. 
Will it be 'Blue' or 'Pink'?
There were 2 entrees – “Roast Chicken” and “Meatloaf” and the wait staff’s main job was to go to the guests on our assigned tables and ask for their preference.  Then, we were to put next to their plates either a blue “post-it note” for chicken or a pink one for meatloaf.  Based on the colors, I joked that maybe we were indicating that men liked chicken and women meatloaf!  After we had taken the orders on our notepads, we were to come back to the kitchen. Then, our assistants would carry the tray with the plates and we would place the plate on the table.  Plus, the assistants would be required to serve water and juice.  It certainly looked like I would have very little to do, or at least not as much as the regular shift over here.

I chatted with Marianne as the “kitchen volunteers” chopped fruits for salad.  Marianne was showing someone how to cut melon and I said if I did it the professional way, I would probably chop off all my fingers!  I was glad to see that today we were serving the vegetable salad in individual bowls, meaning minimum wastage.  I asked Austin to keep an eye on our table and ensure that the water was constantly refilled.  But we had only 2 guests on Table 18 and one on 17.  The students were keeping everyone company by spreading out and chatting with the guests.  I went and told the guests that I would be their wait person and listed the specials.  All of them chose chicken, following which I then put the blue notes by their plates.

Tonight’s musical guest was different than usual and was playing an acoustic guitar.  I was admiring his music, when Marianne called everyone inside for the usual introductions and prayer.  When we went out again, I saw that 2 additional guests had come to Table 17.  I took their order and this time, we had one chicken and finally, one meatloaf.  With all orders taken Marianne called us table-by-table and when our turn came, Austin and I went to our guests and served them.  After the main course we served a plate of desserts, which were cakes and pies.  Once the first round was done, Marianne announced seconds and a large line formed.  Very soon all the food had been served and everyone started leaving, while we cleaned up.

I chatted with the students, who were from South Dakota, and I asked them what was there to do and see.  It looks like besides Mt Rushmore, there isn’t much going on there, though South Dakota would be a stop on my tour.  They said that they all go to a different cuisine every night of their stay in Chicago, and it wasn’t being revealed where they would be going tonight – having been to Greek and Jamaican the last couple of nights.  They had been fantastic, as were the regular volunteers – all of who have their assigned Wednesdays – 1st, 2nd etc.  This had been a great idea, to provide our guests an experience that they typically do not have every week.  Marianne said that she appreciated me as usual and I left content that we had done a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment