Boston Marathon – Jimmy Fund Walk

Location: Hopkinton Center School To Copley Plaza, Boston
Date: Sunday, September 27, 2015; 6:15 am-4:45 pm

Last year, as soon as I had finished my walk, I had said that I am never doing it again.  Well, in spring of this year my friend Som had said that he would do it with me this year if I signed up, and so here I was again.  I had requested donations to raise the minimum $300 and thanks to a last minute push by my buddies, I crossed that threshold easily.  I had gone to Newport, RI as a part of my 51/51 and one of my buddies picked me up at Providence airport after my short visit there.  I arrived at his house in Holliston on Saturday late afternoon, his place being just a few miles away from the start line. 

Ready to start
After a fun evening with my friends, I turned in and woke up at 4:45 am.  One of the more difficult things on this walk is to evaluate is how to dress, since it usually starts off cold and heats up as the day goes on.  Som and I were dropped off at ‘Hopkinton Middle School’ and were then taken by a shuttle to ‘Hopkinton Center School’, which was the start line.  There were a lot of people on the bus and not only did they look good-natured and friendly, but they had done this several times over.  Plus, we saw many teams their own shirts and they were in good spirits as well.  We got off and before entering the main hall to collect our t-shirts, I saw someone handing off a drawstring bag.  I mentioned that anything we pick-up, we have to carry with us, drawing big laughter from a guy nearby.  The festivities were on in the hall, with a guy on microphone encouraging everyone and other things that one usually sees at the start.  I picked up my ‘Jimmy Fund’ cap and my shirt, and after the usual struggles with getting the bib on with pins, I wrote a name and then put the “I walk in honor of” sticker behind my bib.  I was ready to go.

It wasn't even daybreak yet
My and buddy went to the start line and after a few pictures, set off at 6:15 am, the same time as last year.  It was cold and I was thankful for having a jacket and track pants.  My buddy was in shorts and was feeling the chill.  A temperature check told us it was 36 and yeah, that is nippy.  As we walked down ‘Route 135’, unlike last year, I was not listening to anything and so could hear people chatting around us.  For example, there was a group of ladies who was talking about everything under the sun ranging from kids to "Mergers & Acquisitions".  They breezed past us and I mentioned to my buddy that they would probably talk non-top all the way to Boston.  We covered the initial couple of miles and went past the first “refueling station” easily – stopping to high-five a group of enthusiastic kids who put stickers on our bibs.  My buddy’s hand was freezing and was swelling up, though once the sun came out he felt better.

My supporter from last year
We were going past the mile markers and as last year there were stories of kids on it.  It was inspirational and as my friend said later, no matter what pain we would go through, their journey was worst.  I saw some familiar sights from last year, including the guy with the 3-legged 'Golden Retriever'.  The poor dog looked tired and was sleeping.  I told the guy that I remembered them from last year and took the pup’s picture.  A couple of girls near us asked the guy if he taught in a college and when he said that he did, they said that they remembered him from their time there.  A lot of people had come out to cheer for us and besides the normal stations; some folks had their own snacks and drinks stands.

The miles kept rolling by and we were chatting to pass the time.  Once the sun came out around "Mile 8", I took off my jacket since it was warming up.  ‘Route 135’ kept going and soon we got to “Natick Town Center”, which has one of the bigger refreshment stations.  We took a brief halt there so that my buddy could change his socks and then we were on our way.  We walked through some other towns, always with people cheering, and eventually passed the halfway mark.  Som’s wife Resh was doing the half marathon and she had set off from here hours before.  In fact, her pace was excellent and certainly faster than us.

The Miles kept rolling by
We were receiving constant texts of encouragement from our friends and we were sending pictures back.  We turned on to ‘Washington Avenue’ and stopped for lunch at "Mile 16", the same big tent as last year.  I told my buddy that it would be a tough stretch from now on and no kidding.  This short stop for lunch had stiffened our muscles and now I was laboring, feeling a slight cramp on my soles.  We were now listening to music - or audio book in my case - and so were walking a few yards apart, with Som leading.  ‘Commonwealth Avenue’ was brutal for me and we also had traffic lights to deal with, though there were some cops helping us out by regulating traffic.  There was an obnoxious guy who was riding a bike around us in support of his friend and was quite a nuisance.  We went up the “Heartbreak Hill” – with a few breaks – and it was tough.  But eventually we turned to see ‘Boston College’ and now it was the final 5 mile stretch.

Resh had reached hours before us – breezing through her half marathon.  We set off on ‘Beacon Street’ and now we were on the streets of Boston downtown.  We even helped a few ‘Boston College’ girls with their grocery bag adjustments, since one looked like she was about to drop them.  The mile markers were now like an oasis and my buddy who had done 18 miles before as practice, was realizing that the last 8 miles are not that easy.  He was also following his progress on a “Fitbit” watch, though it lost power at "Mile 21".  At "Mile 24" refueling station we saw a truck with two TVs showing ‘Patriots’ game and so we stopped to watch a drive and then set off again.  We came to "Mile 25" under the famous ‘CITGO’ sign outside 'Fenway Park'  and it was right during the end of a ‘Red Sox’ game and so several fans were now on the same path as us. 

It took a long time, but we finished
We navigated the foot traffic on ‘Beacon Street’ till we saw a sign saying "25.6 Miles". The last mile felt like 2 - and I think it was more than a mile - as we kept expecting to see the “Finish” sign around every corner.  Finally, after 10.5 hours – one more than last year – we finished together, with our other buddies applauding. One of our friend's little girl gave us our medals and then we took pictures before sitting down to reflect.  It had been a great achievement but as Som said, nothing compared to what the patients and caregivers at ‘Dana Farber Jimmy Fund’ go through every day. Will I do it again next year?  Your guess is as good as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment