Lakeview Seniors Pet Therapy

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, September 14, 2015; 6:15-8:45 pm

It was Fall time at Lakeview Nursing
My friend Amanda had signed up for this one and so I decided to accompany her and dropped out of another project for which I had signed up.  We arrived to see that Charta was there along with a new ‘English Bulldog’ named Al.  He was friendly, though Charta scared him with her aggressive display of affection.  There was also a cat in attendance, a beautiful creature named Gracie.  Her owner said that we could pet her and Gracie was nice about it.  She had the loveliest fur and I told Fran – who was leading today – to pair Amanda with Gracie.  I went inside the Bingo room, which had been decorated for Fall, and met Jim, Jack and Larry who shook my hand.  Jim asked if I was with the dogs and I said that I was.  Emma came in she was a bit more chirpy than usually.  Holly on the other hand was looking a bit off and Josie said that one of her daughters had passed today.  Holly had Gracie in her arm and was stroking her, with Gracie looking content.  Holly said, “She knows how I feel” and while that was little comfort, I was glad that Holly had shown up for Bingo.

Fran made the assignments and I was paired with Al.  We were starting on 1st floor and as usual I started going in the rooms.  To my surprise many people actually wanted to meet with us.  There was a young woman in one of the rooms and she talked about how Al was making her miss her puppy.  We moved on and another lady gave Al some meat from her plate and he was ecstatic.  His owner told me that looking for food was his favorite activity and I said “mine too”.  We had couple more visits and then moved on to the 2nd floor.  Our first stop was with David and he proceeded to give Al a rubdown just as I had predicted, with Al enjoying every moment of it.  We went to see Polly, but she was with the nurse and so proceeded to Loritta’s room.  Loritta was in top form and I asked if she had heard from her son lately.  It seems that he and his wife were here - visiting from Georgia - and would be stopping by later in the evening.  She still talked about how she had taken away her son from her and we laughed at this.  It is always good to see her in in such spirits.

We stopped at another room and there was Linda, the lady from Hannah’s room, who loved reading.  She had moved here and I asked why.  She said that she had requested a room with a view and now she had one, albeit a boring one.  She was reading some mystery novel and we chatted about it.  She said that she was running out of good books.  She asked what I was reading and I told her about my audio book and reading of the “Shadow of the Wind” in September and how it was my 5th year doing so.  “It helps me remember my life”, I said.  In the meanwhile, Al was staying away and wasn’t in the mood to come closer.  His owner had to lift all 60 pounds of him for Linda to touch Al.  Next up was Jerry on the 3rd floor and again it was a chore getting Al up on his bed.  However, once Al saw the bacon treats, he was all over them and came alive. We then went to see Hannah and she was chatty as usual, telling me that her lawyers would have a verdict soon on her book, even showing me a letter that she had written to them.  She said that two psychologists told her that she was meant to write books and it looks like she truly believes in it.  I said that I looked forward to the good news, but in either case she had done something to be proud of.

It was time and Al was tired by now.  We came down and after they had left, I went over to drop Emma to her room.  She had not won tonight, though her spirits were still high.  Before I could take her away, the Volunteer leader gave her a pack of 3 tissues and Emma was thrilled, not least with the bright colored packs.  I asked if she wanted me to open them and she of course said yes.  She was delighted when I did so and kept saying “that’s nice”.  I dropped her in the corridor and came back down but not before she called me “Sweet”; first time in 3 years that she had done so.  I came down and saw that Jack needed to be dropped off to his room as well.  He said that he had to make a stop on the way on 2nd floor and it was to drop off his Bingo prize, “peanut butter cookies”, with some lady.  She was pleased to see him and to receive the present.  She asked Jack if he got his “butterscotch hard candy” and he said that he had won just once.  She said that next week he better get that for himself rather than something for her and he said “maybe”.  Way to go Jack!  Definitely looks like there are some sparks here.

I dropped him off and saw that Amanda was on the 3rd floor as well.  As we were coming down, we saw that Emma was still waiting to be put to bed.  We chatted with her and she was talking about her youth, and about her parents.  She mentioned how her father was strong and would carry her everywhere.  She said that her mom was German and we started talking about German food, at which Emma mentioned “sauerkraut and potatoes”.  She was indeed sharp and talked a lot about her family.  She also mentioned how someone was nice enough to open the tissue paper for her – me - and how he had brought her there - me again.  The nurse came to take her and I said to her that she was still my favorite girl.

Amanda wanted to stop and see Faye and she was coherent as well.  She talked about some wound that she had on her forehead and that was because she kept picking at it.  A friendly nurse came and she scolded Faye for doing that, but it was all good natured.  I said that we should put a cone around Faye’s neck like a cat!  She had some pictures on her night stand and they were of her daughters when they were little.  She said that they were 18 years old now, though in another picture they looked older.  Amanda said that Faye gets stuck in time and always at different times in her life.  We spent some time with her and then left.  It had been a great evening and I had been able to spend more time with Emma than before.  Plus she had called me “Sweet”.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment