AIDS Run & Walk


Location: Soldier Field
Date: Sunday, September 30, 2012; 9-11 am

Every journey has a first step
I had never done a charity walk before.  There was a 1 mile Cupid Dash for MakeAWay Charities  that I participated while in Plano, Texas back in February.  But that was more as a fun activity and quite honestly, I did not even know about the charity when I signed up.  The AIDS Run and Walk was the first such event where I signed up to support the cause and for a promise made to a friend.  By the time the event day arrived the friend had gone, but the promise remained.

The various categories were a 5K or a 10K run and a 5K walk.  There was no way I was running, so I had registered for the walk.  The walk was scheduled to begin at around 9:15 am from Soldier Field, which is about 2.3 miles from my apartment.  This meant that I had already put in some mileage prior to arriving at the Start line, having rushed the last half a mile or so in the fear that I was going to be late.  When I got there, I realized I need not have worried since thousands had showed up and the line of walkers stretched out as far as the eye could see.  I was never going to be late.

The view!
Everyone had a reason
The path which the organizers had chosen for us was fantastic.  It ran right next to the lake, took us past the Shedd Aquarium and gave us spectacular view of the city.  As I admired the view, I looked around me and saw things that were even more fascinating than the skyline.  I may have been the only lone walker that day because people had come in groups to support the cause.  There were families and friends and people whose lives had been touched by AIDS, mostly through a loved one.  Despite the seriousness of the ailment, none of these people looked forlorn.  In fact, the energy was joyous and people were laughing and smiling and everyone was happy be there.  Many were holding banners and some were even wearing flamboyant costumes.  All of this made for one memorable experience and never have I enjoyed walking in Chicago as I did that day. 

Heroes, everywhere
Festivities at the end
As this mass of humanity made their way back towards Soldier Field, we came upon a group of cheerleaders - not your college sports squad, but ordinary people.  They were waving their pompoms, egging us on and really putting on a great show.  I gave them a big smile and waved back.  Yes, there were a lot of heroes there walking the trail, but for some reason this cheering squad was more special.  Who knows why they were doing it, but we were all pleased that they were there.

Why we fight
As we arrived at the Finish line, the post-race party was in full swing.  I went over towards the Soldier Field stadium where some of the AIDS memorial quilts were on display.  Unlike the festivities outside, the mood in here was quite somber and we all contemplated on the significance of what we had been a part of that day.  In our own little way all of us had done something for awareness; and while the victory may be in sight, today was a reminder of how we have reached here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment