Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2013; 5:45-9:00 pm

Here I was again, walking over for this project the first Wednesday of the month.  Thomas from Chicago Cares had once again inquired if I was able to lead today and I had said yes.  I sent a welcome email to the 3 people who had signed up and fortunately there were no cancellations.  I arrived a bit early to find that Keith was looking a bit flustered, so much so that he didn't recognize me.  I reminded him who I was and while there was a vague recollection, it seemed that he had a lot on his mind.  He was sending everyone to the clothing room since the food preparation seemed to be under control.  Two of my volunteers – Harpreet (Happy) and Tiffany had arrived and I sent them over to help sort the donated clothes into various piles.  We saw that several volunteers were already engaged in that activity and the two of them joined the group.  I was still waiting for the third Chicago Cares volunteer to show up and thought that my presence would be required in the main kitchen.  Plus, Keith was certain to find some task for me over there.

Sure enough, he needed someone to chop the tomatoes for the salad and just as I was about to do that, my final Chicago Cares volunteer, Aysha arrived.  I appointed her to the tomatoes duty, while I started helping another regular volunteer Hannah, in peeling cucumbers.  I have seen her every time I have been to this place and when I learned that she was in 8th grade, I was floored by her dedication to this project.  Having peeled potatoes for a prior cooking project, I wasn’t looking forward to this task, though cucumbers proved to be easier to manage.  We then handed the cucumbers to Aysha to include in the salad, while I started looking for the 21 bowls that we would be using to serve.  As I started removing them from a cabinet, one of them slipped and with a sound that only shattering glass can make, spread all over  the kitchen floor!  As I went to get the mop, Keith came to see what the racket was and said that he was going to give me a hard time over this.  Then for the rest of the evening, he kept referring to me breaking bowls.  “Bowl”, I would correct him.  “Singular”.

The desserts for this evening
The sorting room people were done and they joined us in the kitchen, meaning we had a full house.  Most of them were dispatched to help with distribution of the desserts on 21 plates.  Today we had a lot of cakes and cookies and Keith wanted to get rid of everything.  Besides the 3 Chicago Cares volunteers, there were 2 other girls – Mikelle and Brittany – who were helping out and seemed to have identified me as a leader.  With Marianne missing, someone had to take charge and it might as well be me.  I handed them 21 plates – taking care not to break any – and asked them to distribute evenly.  We had dessert in excess and I told them that rather than piling the plates up high, we should leave some of the dessert out for people to take home when they came for seconds.  This would not only help the guests out, but also prevent wastage since any uneaten food has to get thrown out as per the law. 

Keith then called everyone to order and prepared for his usual speech.  He mentioned that Marianne was out for a doctor’s appointment and so it wasn’t surprising for me that he had looked a bit overwhelmed at the beginning.  For the new comers benefit he told us about the ‘LaSalle Street Church’ and the ‘Breaking Bread Ministries’ and then for everyone’s benefit, repeated the fact that the people coming in for dinner were our guests and that we needed to treat them with dignity and respect – two words that are often repeated in this place.  When the duties were assigned I said that I would serve juice along with Brittany and she said that she would follow my lead.  We started doing that and it was the most crowded that I have seen this place.  It took us a long time to do our rounds and by the time we returned, dinner had been plated and ready to be served.  Tonight’s menu was Chicken, Mixed Vegetables, Rice and Gravy.  As the volunteers started delivering plates, I took over Marianne’s task of pointing at the tables that were to be served next.  With this system we were done shortly and no sooner had we returned back to our station, than it was time for seconds and clearing of bowls and utensils. 

As people stood in lines, it seemed that clearing tables was a relentless and never-ending task, including gathering of the salt and pepper shakers and the central artificial floral arrangement.  With the clearing, stacking of the chairs and pushing away the tables, we were all exhausted at the end and it seemed like it had been the most labor intensive time at this project.  But none of us were complaining and I for one felt proud of myself since I had felt like a real leader today, taking charge so much so that volunteers followed my lead and asked me questions.  As we packed up, I thanked my 3 volunteers as well as Mikelle and Brittany, while pitching Chicago Cares to them. I walked back part of the way with Brittany and she talked about the challenges that she was facing, deciding between doing a PhD and going to medical school.  She said that she did not want to have regrets later and I said that rare is a life without any regrets about the past.  What matters is that the past does not lead to one having regrets about the present.  I told her not to put her life on hold as she debates this, and to go with what she truly wants.  Tonight had been a tough assignment.  But with a good team, we had overcome it and delivered a successful project.  Well, successful minus one bowl.  I think that even Keith would give me a pass for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment