Lakeview Seniors Bingo

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, January 05, 2015; 6:15-7:45 pm

It was a new year and I was on the wait list for both, ‘Pet Therapy’ and ‘Bingo’.  First ‘Bingo’ opened up and so I signed-up and then when ‘Pet Therapy’ had availability, I shifted there.  Yeah, I’m flaky like that.  I arrived at Lakeview Nursing on a chilly evening and learnt that all the pet owners had dropped out owing to the cold and only one dog was expected.  There were 5 other “Non-Pet” volunteers besides me, meaning we had more than were required, though one guy offered to go home and get his pup.  I told our Volunteer leader Veronica that I would shift over to ‘Bingo’ and once that Volunteer leader Maureen had accepted me; I was back where I should have been in the first place.

The mysterious O74
I saw that Jack, Larry and Jim were at their usual table, but wait – Jim shouldn’t even be here.  I asked why he had not left yet and he mentioned something about waiting for his ‘Social Security’ check to come in.  He said that he had come to Lakeview Nursing broke and he was leaving broke.  It was a new beginning indeed.  I had not seen Emma in ages and she seemed…well smaller than usual.  I asked how she was and she responded with something that sounded like “nice”.  Maureen asked if I could “call” the game, since the regular caller, Jim, was on vacation.  We found the ‘Bingo balls’ and I took a seat next to Josie and another volunteer.  Also present at our table were Holly and another resident.  Holly has a great personality and she was chatty as usual.  She told me that there was an extra ‘O74’ ball that had been written with pen, and if I found that, I should keep it aside.  I said that I would do that, though why there were two in there was beyond me. 

I asked Josie what her favorite number was and she said 15, since that’s her birthdate.  Holly said that her birthdate was 7, making it her favorite number.  It was time to begin and Maureen started with an announcement that we had a “rookie caller”. “Only at this location”, I added.  I started calling by first saying the entire number followed by splitting of each component.  The residents actually liked that approach.  My debut as a caller proved to be lucky for Emma who won and I was thrilled about that.  Josie was next and Fran, who was volunteering at our table as well, joked that I had made a deal with her – especially when she won again.  The prize for winning was a dollar and I said that I was keeping half of it!

Holly had been prophetic and the painted ‘O74’ kept showing up every time.  When 50 showed up, I looked at Kenny and he said that he was not going to list all of the guest stars to his favorite show ‘Hawaii 5-0’, though he did point out that it was on Friday’s.  I have been hearing him announce it for 2 years and I still haven’t watched it.  After a few rounds my fellow volunteer took over and I shifted to playing on her card.  Holly had been complaining that her luck was bad and I said that luck had nothing to do with it since it was all in the wrist.  Whatever it was, I wasn’t wining either.  The residents were critical of the new caller since she was speaking softly and not splitting the numbers.  Man, I had set some high standards!

The game progressed smoothly and after the lightening round it was time to leave.  I dropped Emma off in her room…something I had not done in a long time.  While we were waiting for the nurse to come over and help her in bed, I commented on the plush toys in her room.  She kept saying that the nurse was “nice”.  Aah, I had missed Emma.  I came downstairs and chatted with Fran and Veronica, where we agreed that we needed more dogs for sure.  It had been a long time since I had come here on Mondays and I definitely need to start again.  Before leaving I told Jim that he better be out of here when I came next.  He said that he couldn’t wait to do so.  I said that he needed to be patient and as I walked out, I heard him lamenting with Larry on how they were fed up of waiting and being patient.  Yeah, I hear you buddy.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment