Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, March 04, 2015; 5:45-8:30 pm

Marianne sent an email to me and some of the regulars like John saying that she would not be able to make it tonight and so asked us to lead the volunteers.  She also included some talking points that we should use with the newcomers.  I arrived to see that John had already taken charge and little Hannah was directing the incoming volunteers.  Marianne or not, it looked like things were under control.  John was looking for someone to do the fruits salad and I said that I would open the cans and was joined by another volunteer.  I was opening the cans using the industrial opener, and quite efficiently at that.  We had peaches and pears and while I would open the cans and drain the fluid, my fellow volunteer was then cutting the fruits into bite sized pieces.

I would be holding the clipboard
A new lady chef, Dani, has replaced Keith and whatever she was making smelt awesome.  She came over and dropped off 3 cans of pasta sauce to be opened and this was going to be the base of a sauce in some sort of Mexican themed dinner.  We had several volunteers in attendance and so John asked if I could be the “nurse’s assistant”, a job that I never done before.  The nurse gave me instructions to send over 2 people over at a time and I was to note down their full names as well as their date of birth.  I took the clipboard and started walking around the room asking if people wanted to see the nurse.  One of the guests responded that maybe not a nurse, but he would take a psychiatrist if we had one!

One gentleman said that he would come with me and after dropping him off, I came back and repeated with a lady.  Another gentleman approached me and I said that I would fetch him soon.  A woman asked me if the nurse was giving out prescription and I said that I wasn’t sure of that.  When I asked for her birth date, she wasn’t willing to do so initially, but when I said that unfortunately it was required, she gave it to me reluctantly.  I walked about and saw that on the other side of the partition the ‘Moody Bible’ students were doing their “spirit feeding” session.  In the kitchen John had started his speech and was doing a great job.  He told the volunteers everything they needed to know, such as not giving the guests any money and about everyone’s “comfort zone”.  He then assigned duties and we ended with a prayer.  While Jon was doing a very competent job, it is strange not to have both, Keith and Marianne around for the first time since I have been coming here.

I continued my duties and since no one else had signed up with me, some folks said that I was not having any “customers” this evening.  I replied saying that I guess it was good.  The food came out and it seemed that we had something that looked like a “taco”.  I stood on the side as John went over and made the announcements, including that I would be taking down the names for the nurse.  The music was on with folks playing the drums and piano.  The volunteers went out to serve the salads and once again, we had to leave the bowls on tables even though no one was there.  I looked around and saw that one of the ‘Moody Bible’ volunteers was having a conversation in “sign language” with a guest who is deaf.  In fact, she spent the entire evening with him.  The dinner started and I stood on one side looking at the room, remembering what Marianne has said a long time ago.  There are many reasons why people come here and one of them is that some of them are lonely and would rather share a warm meal with others.  I thought to myself that perhaps financial means aside, we are not too different, them and I. 

One gentleman came over and said that he wanted to see the nurse and when I offered to keep his meal warm in the oven, he said that he would rather eat first.  Knowing that in the past we have had instances where food in the oven had been given away by mistake, I thought that it was a wise decision.  As dinner came to a close, volunteers started the clean-up while I finished up my duties, with one last person remaining to see the nurse.  As the guests left, the volunteers had done a great job and everything was being put away.  I took pictures of the various forms for Marianne and left after thanking John for his leadership.  Marianne sent an email to all the volunteers thanking us.  She also sent a separate one to me saying that I was a “blessing to her and there were never enough ways to thank me”.  I said that I could have done with her comforting shoulder tonight but there will be another month.  There’s always another month.

No comments:

Post a Comment