Lakeview Seniors Pet Therapy

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, July 06, 2015; 6:15-8:00 pm

Bodie had gotten a haircut
I arrived to see that Veronica was giving instructions to a huge mob.  Plus, we had a lot of doggies in attendance tonight.  I saw that Bodie and Charta from last week were here as well. Bodie had a haircut and was looking like a different dog.  Charta was wearing a pink bandana to make sure people identified her as a girl.  I was paired with Susan and her doggie, a sweet ‘Pitbull’ named Ducky.  She was 3 years old and had the most beautiful brown coat and soulful brown eyes.

We started on 2nd floor with David who was trying to give her a massage.  But Ducky was a bit lazy tonight and preferred to lie down on the floor instead.  I asked David about his weekly dog photography idea, where he would take pictures of all the dogs visiting each week and compile in a book; and once again he said that he should do it. He said that he has been taking pictures for 50 years.  I said that he must have seen the evolution of the camera and he said yes.  I asked if he could develop film and he said of course! I guess shame on me for asking.  We stopped and met with the lady who always looks like she is going out for an elegant evening, and of course she was wearing pearls.  Her roommate was awake and said hello as well.  We stopped in the corridor with the gentleman who had been wearing the dog shirt last week. He was talking about ‘Boxers’ and how smart they are.  Ducky was lying on the floor lazily. I asked if a ‘Boxer’ would be a ‘Boxer’ if raised amongst other breeds and Susan said yes.  It’s interesting that with dogs its “nature vs nurture”.

We stopped to meet with the lady who last week had mentioned her sister with the ‘Pitbull’.  I thought that she would like Ducky and she did invite Ducky to climb up on the bed.  But when she did, this lady got scared and so we took Ducky down.  I said that perhaps she should stick with smaller dogs for her.  Next up was Polly and she was in good spirits.  She mentioned how her brother had come to see her on July 4th and had taken her out for barbeque.  I asked what she had, and she said beans, potatoes, wings; and some pie which was like “Banana Nut”, but not quite.  I asked when he would come next and she said soon.  I asked if she had travelled much and she said to Biloxi, Mississippi.  I asked if she had been to California and she said no, but she has visited NYC.  She said that she wanted to go to Paris and I said me too.  It was nice to see that Polly’s roommate Dena was doing well.

Ducky was being lazy
Next up was Loritta and I asked how her week had been, and she responded dryly - "Same as today, lying in bed looking at the walls". Ooh Loritta.  She had a red and blue comforter with white sheets and I said she was certainly being patriotic so close to the 4th.  We left and were with a lady in the corridor, when another group stopped by with a ‘Poodle/Terrier’ mix named Rocco.  Suddenly Ducky came awake as the two sniffed each other. It sure looked like a budding romance and the funny thing was that both of them had one white paw each.  We went to the 3rd floor and first stop was in the community room where one gentleman that I had seen before kept saying that his brother Harry was asking about me and he had given him my number.  While obviously an illusion, he kept repeating that and it did give me a sensation of being in a supernatural movie.  We visited 2 ladies, one of whom kept talking about her ‘Poodles’ who had been kidnapped.  She said that she had bought them from England.  I asked where they were taken, and she said that they had lived on the edge of Cook County, and so were under the jurisdiction of Chicago police.  It didn't seem to me she had much respect for that.

Next stop was with another lady we hadn't visited before and she was happy to see us.  Ducky – who was awake now - got in her bed and even licked her.  The lady's roommate was crying and the lady says that she does that from time to time.  It did seem to be upsetting Ducky, and so we got out of there.  We stopped at Jon’s and Ducky got a treat there, even doing a “trick” now that a treat was on the line.  We visited Hannah and Ducky’s new boyfriend Rocco was there with Fran and his owner.  I told Hannah that she had promised to get better and she said that she was working on it. She also said that she was meeting with her lawyer tomorrow.  Her roommate was reading a book and she said that she loves reading.  She said that she savors a good book and wants to stay with the characters for a long time.  She asked me if I read and I said that for the last 10 years I have been listening to books.  She said that it's not the real thing. I said that while I agreed, it was more convenient while walking or while on the train.  I then told her about my favorite book – “The Shadow Of The Wind” - and the way it was read on the ‘Audiobook’ including the accompanying music.  I said that it was the best way to experience that story.

It was time to go and I thanked Susan for coming.  All of the dogs were leaving, including Charta.  I learnt that one of the volunteers was returning to Lakeview Nursing after 4 years. She had been living in Indiana but visiting Chicago every week.  It was nice for her to spend her Monday's here.  I chatted with Veronica and Fran before leaving and we talked about my travels and other things.  I told Veronica how Hannah had asked about my "pretty companion" from last time and I was sure that she had meant her.  Pearl had left and I missed visiting with her.  But it had been nice to see everyone else. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment