American Cancer Society: Walk & Roll

Location: Soldier Field
Date: Saturday, April 27, 2013; 8:00 am-12:15 pm

It was getting warmer outside and that meant the season for walks and runs was about to get underway.  I had signed up for many such events, including this one, but had not heard back from the organizers.  I asked Adam when I was at ACS for the sub-committee meeting the previous week, and he had written to Tessa, who was coordinating the volunteer effort for this event.  She wrote to me saying that I would be helping with the registration, and so I showed up at Soldier field a little before 8 am.  We were going to be situated outside the stadium and I checked-in with Tessa, who directed me towards Mary Kate, who was directing the volunteers at Registration.  Since there was a little bit of time before we began, I went to get coffee at a Dunkin Donuts truck.  The gentleman said that it would be ready in a short while, but as minutes went by and there was no sign of coffee, I left because I did not want to miss my training.  Looks like the guys in the truck were grinding the coffee using mortar and pestle!

The registration tent
Adam, whom I had met at the ACS offices, was going to be training us and it was quite straightforward.  People would be coming to us having either pre-registered or wanting to register.  If they had registered, we were to check their name on the list and if they had collected or raised money over $100, we were to give them a coupon for a t-shirt.  In case anyone wanted to register, we were to get them to fill out a form, collect $15 and then put both, the money and the form into an envelope.  Once there were 10 forms inside the envelope, it went to the accountants at the back of our tent. Since money was involved, we had also arranged for security to be at our station.

Yep, 3 ways to roll
The ‘Walk & Roll’ event was over 40 years old and raises funds to fight all forms of cancer.  Unlike the ACS sub-committee for Breast Cancer, that I am a part of, this event emphasized the fact that it was fighting all forms of cancer.  People could participate in three ways, either by walking or biking or roller-skating…hence the name.  ACS calls itself 'The Official Sponsor Of Birthdays’, and the pamphlet said that because of the advances in cancer research, over 350 more birthdays are celebrated every day - that’s over a 127 thousand lives saved each year. With these sobering thoughts, we were ready to begin.  

People started arriving and I went through the entire process with them.  Many who were pre-registered had raised in excess of $100 and I was handing them a coupon.  Some had raised a lot of money as a team, and were expecting multiple shirts.  But that was not the rule.  I was told to hand out only one shirt per person registered, no matter how much money they had raised in excess of $100.  For example, if a team of 10 had raised $1000, but that was owing to $950 through one person, they still got just one shirt.  I did not necessarily agree with this line of thinking, but it was the rule.  I feel that wearing a t-shirt promotes the cause, because it opens up discussion.  So ACS, if anything, should have been more than happy to give away t-shirts to all participants, but costs are king and I am sure they had a budget. 

I was partnered with a gentleman, who introduced himself as Ansar.  He was handling the money, while I checked on registrations.  We worked well together and were quite busy during the peak period, but also found some time to chat.  I learned that Ansar worked for PepsiCo and was representing the company as a volunteer at today’s event.  I asked him about the cola wars, more particularly how the States seem to have chosen sides, since one product has a monopoly in a particular State versus the other.  He said it wasn't just the states, but companies as well, for example McDonald's had a handshake with Coca-Cola to market their products.  Ansar lived in the suburbs and takes a train into downtown every day.  We talked about the two main Metra stations – Union and Ogilvie.  Since they were so close to each other, I could see how that may get confusing for newcomers.  Just the other day I was asked by someone on the street direction to the train station and when I asked which one, they were confused.  In any case, from what I have seen of the traffic situation in Chicago, it is much better to take a train into and out of downtown than drive.

The course map
People were coming in at a regular pace and some had managed to raise over $800.  For anyone above $100, I was telling them that they had “earned” a shirt.  One lady came with her husband and upon checking, I saw that she had raised $215.  I gave her a ticket for the shirt and when she asked if her husband could get one, I checked and saw that he had not raised any money beyond his $15 registration fee.  I apologized and said that he hadn't raised enough to get a shirt and she said “That's because he is a loser”.  The way she said it made it seem like more of a matter-of-fact rather than a joke, but I just smiled sheepishly as they went away.  I asked Ansar if he noticed a flaw in the system regarding the t-shirt.  I said that there were multiple people at the registration booth and what was preventing someone from going to different people and collecting coupons for the t-shirt?  Everyone had a similar list like me and they could cross reference, find the name and give the person a coupon.  Ansar said that he saw the problem, but we had to trust the people to be honest and do the right thing.  He was right.  If people were here this morning, it was to support the cause, not for a t-shirt. 

Ansar left for another appointment at 10 am, but it was also the time when the course opened and nothing much was happening at that time anyways.  Now here is the main difference when you volunteer for an organization that does not run as structured an event as Chicago Cares.  Seeing that nothing was happening, the leaders like Adam, Mary Kate and Tessa should have come and checked on volunteers to see if they were doing okay and needed anything or even relieved.  But they probably lack leadership experience and were content in chatting amongst themselves.  This does not necessarily mean they are rude; just need to develop their leadership skills.  Leadership is not about having a title, it is all about character.  Many people mistake the quantity of people you manage for importance, when it’s the quality of your leadership.  And it could be while leading one person, or even none!  You lead by example, and I am afraid I did not see much leadership in that tent.  Having said that, I have seen Adam in action while at the ACS office and he is a genuinely nice person who has the right attitude to be involved in a program like this. 
 
Festivities around us
Finally, seeing that no one was coming to our tent, I was allowed to go check-out the festivities that were happening around us.  Besides the usual stage with live music, there were food tents, corporate tents – with better food - and a survivor tent as well.  I saw two little girls and they had several items on display like survivor ribbons, wristbands, cards and even crowns.  They saw me looking and waved at me enthusiastically to come there.  I went and was asked if I wanted something and to my surprise, it was free, the idea being to promote and celebrate.  This really puts the t-shirt thing in perspective.  This however did not stop one of the little girls from making her own pins using paper and sharpie and was trying to sell them for a dollar.  Her mom was trying to tell her this was not the right way to do it and that everything was free, but the girl did not seem convinced, saying it was her own idea.  Definitely someone that ‘Business Week’ should keep an eye on as a promising entrepreneur.  

I walked about a bit more and finally came back to the tent to check if there we any other duties.  The event was underway, so there really wasn't much for us and Adam made the announcement that some of us could leave, though they wanted a few to stay behind to collect post-walk donations.  Typically, I would have volunteered; but I preferred to be on my way to the next event and so left.  It had been an interesting morning and while some things could have been a bit different, the main takeaway for me was seeing all the people come out to support ACS and for that reason alone, they all deserve to be applauded - even if they had not received a t-shirt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment