Super Sunday III: Sunday Dinner In Rogers Park

Location: United Church Of Rogers Park
Date: Sunday, April 07, 2013; 4:30-7:30 pm

Our next stop was at a church in Rogers Park which served dinner every Sunday and anyone who was in need was welcome to come and attend.  Chicago Cares went there once a month and the model was very similar to the Wells Street Café.  On the way there Wilson asked me about my job and specifically, the work that I did.  As I told him about Energy Management, we had an interesting discussion about balancing energy usage versus reducing consumption permanently by being more energy conscious.  We arrived at our venue and went up to the main dining room to meet Jody, who was in charge and Jisha, our Chicago Cares Volunteer leader.  Amongst the other volunteers were Ellen, whom I had met at Lakeview Pantry and Lisa, who had followed from Lakeview Nursing in her own car. 

The interesting thing about the dinner service was that other volunteers had already been there since early in the afternoon, to cook.  Their shift was now over and they could leave, while we took over as the serving and cleaning crew.  Seemed like a reasonable way to do things.  As the ‘cooks’ left, everyone gave them an applause and they had definitely earned it.  I went inside the kitchen, which was a huge one and started to wash my hands.  Wilson then told me the exact process to do it, and which included washing thoroughly up to the elbows, while singing ‘Happy Birthday’ twice!  He watched me closely as I did that and then I had to choose an apron.  Unlike the flimsy, disposable ones in Wells Street Café, these were made of cloth and I selected a colorful one with peppers on it; as did Lisa.  We chatted for a while till Jody called us all to order and said that we could choose one of two duties – being a server, or else a runner.  I choose the latter, while Lisa and Wilson opted to serve. 

No idea which wurst is what
The servers lined up in front of their stations and we were ready to go.  The guests had arrived and Jody made some announcements.  She said that she would stand by a table and direct runners to which person should be served.  Then she would move to the next table and the process would continue till every guest had been served.  It was a very organized and disciplined way of doing things.  I looked at the menu and we had rolls and bratwurst; potatoes and two types of cabbage – with and without the meat; applesauce and salad.  Then at the end of the line there were desserts that had been donated by Whole Foods.  This looked like a distinct German themed menu and unlike many who find German food bland, I am a fan of their sausages and pretzels and bier cheese and cream puffs and definitely their beer.  There was a Hofbräuhaus back in Pittsburgh which I used to frequent and order their sausage sampler, which came with bratwurst, knockwurst and some other wurst. I never bothered finding out which was which and what the differences were.  So when they announced that today’s menu had bratwurst, it was a sausage in a roll to me.  

I took a plate and walked down the aisle as people put food on the plate.  Wilson, who was on cabbage, said he was going to keep track of how many plates I served, while Lisa was on desserts and had a variety of choices ranging from different cupcakes to other pastries.  Once my plate was filled, I looked up to see where Jody was and she would direct me to the guest who was to be served.  The line was moving rapidly and every time I passed Wilson’s station, he would add a number to my tally.  Lisa and I on the other hand were having fun selecting which dessert went on the plate and she would wait for me to point out.  I usually choose the one I would like – easier said than done since I like almost all desserts – and would then deliver the plate.  Once all the guests had been served, our job was to fill up take-home boxes.  The same process was to be followed where we would hold a box and walk past the servers and down the line.  The only difference was that the take-home box did not get a dessert.  At one point I walked past Lisa and asked her to put one in anyways, telling her that one lucky person was going to be extremely happy once they opened their box. 

From a Garbage Man to a Chef:
All in a days work
Today’s turnout had been quite high and soon the food was over.  The guests left and we were required to clean, not only the dining area, but also the dishes in the kitchen.  I was assigned the duty to dry the dishes and went in to see that a couple of volunteers were scrubbing, while Ellen was rinsing.  Once she was done, I would pick up the dishes and dry using a towel.  The team scrubbing was complaining about the grease, especially with the utensils used to cook the bratwurst and having done this job at my Senior Breakfast Club project, I empathized with them.  I chatted with Ellen, who is an avid environmentalist, about some of the projects that she does and her views on ‘Green Roofs’, of which she is not a proponent.  Wilson had arrived to help with the drying and he engaged Ellen in that debate, not being one to let any topic go unchallenged.  Wilson told us how efficiency was important in all walks of life, including drying dishes and demonstrated by using a towel in each hand to do front and back of a plate at the same time.  He then wiped bigger trays with both hands and was done with his pile in record time! 

I was clearly not as efficient as Wilson, but managed to finish everything and soon all the dishes and utensils had been washed, dried and stacked in the right place.  Jody thanked us for coming and Wilson gave me a ride home.  We talked about our day and how remarkable it had been.  He was probably headed to find some other people to help, but I was going to go home and relax.  It had been a truly extraordinary weekend and I had done projects dealing with Senior’s, Environment and Hunger.  Why, I had even done a Fairy Tale themed project.  Having been on my feet for most part of the day, I should have been exhausted, but I was feeling great and refreshed.  There is something incredible about surrounding yourself with positive energy, something that lifts your spirits.  The people with whom I had the privilege of serving today had definitely contributed to that, and I was already looking forward to the week ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment