Sunday Paper Hour


Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Sunday, April 21, 2013; 2:00-3:30 pm

Saturday’s two projects had packed a punch and I was quite beat this Sunday morning.  A nice relaxing ‘Sunday Paper Hour’ sounded like a perfect way to spend an afternoon.  I arrived at Lakeview Nursing to see that Mary was already there.  She is the only Volunteer leader that I know who makes name tags for the volunteers.  Typically volunteers have to write down their names themselves, but Mary does it for everyone and there’s something elegant about that style of leadership.  I saw that Joe was watching his beloved Sox play and we chatted for a brief while.  Mary told me to pick a table and go join a resident.  It was time to read the papers.

With events in Boston over the past week, all the front pages were full of that story.  I looked around and saw that Valerie, with whom I had sat the last time, was engrossed in her Walgreens pamphlet, no doubt looking for deals.  I went and took a seat next to Josie, who has been a participant in some of the projects, including Get Crafty.  Like Valerie, Josie was studying the Walgreens pamphlet as well.  We talked about the prices in Walgreens versus those in CVS.  In fact, there was a CVS insert, and we compared some of the products and found that CVS was cheaper than Walgreens.  Josie said that there were a lot many Walgreens in Chicago as compared to CVS and I mentioned that this must be the reason for CVS to lower prices, since they had to stay competitive. 
The best part of a Sunday newspaper

A lady had come to our table and was standing next to me, listening.  I asked if she would like to join us and she was more than willing.  She introduced herself as Jill, and said that she had been there for 2 weeks and was leaving tomorrow. It didn't appear that Jill was interested in reading any newspapers and was just there to chat, and so that’s what we did.  I learned that Jill had a 28 year old son, who was going to come pick her up the next day.  She said that her husband had passed away long time ago, as had one of her other son's who had been 38 years old. I asked what had happened to him and she said that he had suffered from liver cancer and while they had known for over a year, they could not get a transplant on time.  While losing her son was tragic, this was just plain sad that a young man such as him was not eligible for a timely transplant.  I remembered a conversation that I had a few months ago with someone, debating the merits of being an organ donor versus leaving your body for science.  I had argued a case for being a donor because that directly impacted people’s lives, while the other person had made a point that so would the medical study, because it would teach the next generation of medical practitioners, doctors and researchers who would go on to save people and conquer disease.  I couldn't complain with that line of thinking either, though based on what had happened to her son, there was no question on whose side Jill would have been. 

I asked Jill why she was here and she said that she had been struggling with depression.  She had spent some time in a hospital, but had felt that a place such as this would be much healthier for her.  I told her that she was correct, and there were indeed a lot many things that the residents could do here.  Jill knew about that and was in fact an active participant in a weekend ‘Bingo’ program.  She mentioned proudly that she had already accumulated $15 in Bingo currency, something that I am beginning to realize is a valuable commodity over here.  I told her about the Chicago Cares programs there and she seemed particularly interested in Pet Therapy.  Jill has always had dogs, 4 so far, and the most recent one had been a German Rottweiler named Otto.  Unfortunately, he had passed away while she was in the hospital.  Her son, knowing Jill’s love for dogs, had got for her a 6 month Fox Terrier.  She said that she hadn't seen him and was looking forward to doing that the next day.  I said to her that the new dog would be a great companion and she agreed.  She said that one of her favorite activities is spending time with her neighbor and walking in the park and was looking forward to taking her new dog with her. 

I also learned that she had been married at 20 and for two years had worked as an assistant in an office, and had done so in the days of the Dictaphone.  Then she had quit in order to raise her 3 boys, the youngest of who was picking her up the next day.  She was proud of him and mentioned that he would be getting married soon.  I congratulated her and asked about his fiancée.  Jill said she was good, but drank a bit too much.  I said that they were young and we should cut them some slack, at which she reluctantly agreed.  I asked about her other daughter-in-law, who was now bereaved and also had a son; if she was looking to get remarried.  Jill said probably not.  She said that she herself hadn't found anyone after her husband had passed, and that it was difficult to find someone after all this time together with one person.  I said that it was difficult even without having had a spouse who had gone, and both of us talked about the importance of companionship.  Jill asked about my job and what I would do if I didn't have to work.   I said that I would be a writer, something that she approved. 

All this while I was talking with Jill, Josie was in her own world, though she seemed to be listening.  I also noticed one of the staff members from Lakeview Nursing had been standing there, watching our group and I asked her to join us.  She introduced herself as Sandy, and was a new activities person there.  She did all the programs that involved residents getting out of their rooms, and just this morning had been doing nails for the women residents, including Jill. Sandy told us about one of her other volunteer project, ‘Feed My Hungry Children’, out in the suburbs.  I asked her about it and learned that they pack boxes of food for children in developing countries and all it costs us is $0.22 to feed them daily.  Sandy seemed like a nice person and I learned that her care-giving extended beyond this place and she owned 3 dogs and 3 cats.  She told us, much to our amusement, that she takes her cats out for a walk in a stroller.  Now that is a sight I would definitely want to see!
 
That's a lot of islands!
Sandy, who mom is from Philippines, told us about the place and how it is comprised of  over 7,100 islands.  I said that surely someone must have made it a mission to go to all of them.  She said they had better hurry since Philippines and China were arguing over an island and she wasn't sure how that was going to end up.  The funny thing is that the island in question is very small and can hardly fit one house!  Since we were talking about Philippines, the topic turned to Imelda and her shoes museum.  Sandy said that, while it wasn't as many, she owned several pairs as well and blamed it on her Philippine ancestry. 

By this time we had been joined by Fran and I told her than Jill was very interested in dogs, Fran being an occasional leader for ‘Pet Therapy’.  Fran told us that once someone had brought a parrot for the program - so much for Wilson’s idea to be the first to introduce exotic animals to Lakeview Nursing.  Mary indicated that it was about time for us to leave and I told Jill that she had to come back to participate in some of the programs, though she said that she prefers programs in daylight, because she did not want to travel at night.  This was perfectly all right and kudos to her for at least making that effort.  As we left that day, Mary mentioned that one of our fellow volunteers had been one of the founders of Chicago Cares and I was disappointed not to have said hello and introduced myself. But it had still been another excellent afternoon of conversation, one where I had lost track of time and also not opened even a page of the newspaper in front of me.  But hey, who’s complaining. Jill's stories were much better than anything the reporters had to say.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment