Super Sunday I: Shamrock Shuffle After Party!


Location: Grant Park
Date: Sunday, April 7, 2013; 8:30 am-1:30 pm

“What has four wheels and flies?”  “A garbage truck of course”
“Now, what has three wheels and flies?”

Having done three projects in one day, I knew the challenges, especially the physical toll that it takes.  So I was aware of what was in store this day as I rushed from one project to another with minimum respite.  Plus, I had come off of  two projects the previous day and knew that by the end of today I would be exhausted.  Despite that I was as excited as anyone this Sunday morning and couldn't wait to get going.  Wilson was also going to be present at all of the three locations and had thus offered to drive me from one project to the other.  The previous night he wrote an email outlining where he would be and how we should contact each other after the race.  Wilson was representing the Red Cross and was on standby for all emergencies.  He said he would drive me to our next location as long as certain things didn't happen. Then he went on to list the most awful calamities that may befall us and which would have made Roland Emmerich proud.  When I wrote back saying some of these were unlikely to happen, he replied that one must always be prepared for the worse.  At least he hadn't put 'Alien Invasion' as one of the causes for me missing out on a ride, though I’m sure he has a plan for that as well!

My destination
My first stop was a One Brick event and our job was to be the members of the ‘Green Team’ at the post-race party at Chicago’s annual 8K race, the ‘Shamrock Shuffle’.  As a part of that, we would be assisting finishers correctly recycle and compost products such as water bottles, beer cups, banana peels and other food items.  This was an opportunity to help reduce the events carbon footprint.  There was some confusion where I had signed up for the event through One Brick and then we were informed that One Brick was pulling out.  This led to me applying for the position as a Course Marshal and no sooner had I been accepted for that, than One Brick informed us that we were back on.  Nevertheless, as I left my building that morning and started walking toward Grant Park, I could see many people clad in green and decided to just follow the crowd.  I had underestimated the number of people that would show up and it became clear as I approached Grant Park, that managing garbage for so many people was going to be as challenging as anything I had done. 

I had arrived on time, but had some difficulty in finding the location of our volunteer tent.  I reached there at the same time as our Event Manager, Meghan.  I checked-in with her and soon other volunteers arrived, Gary – whom I knew by now - Anne, Sylvia and Peter.  We were joined by our liaison at the race, who was also leading the ‘Green Team’.  She handed out the green vests that we were supposed to wear throughout the event, a jacket similar to what we see construction workers wear on roadside projects.  She took us to the breakfast tent, where we picked up some granola bars and coffee.  She then gave us a cheat sheet of what constitutes compost, recyclable material and garbage.  Finally, we were given replacement compost bags once the others were full.  Armed with all of this, our group started toward the Buckingham Fountain, where we were to be stationed.  On the way, Gary mentioned that just the previous evening he had been at Millennium Park to participate in a ‘Pillow Fight Championship’.  Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like.  I was curious on how this would work and how a winner would be determined.  Was it like a ‘Sumo Wrestling’ fight with a circle?  Were we to use foam or feather pillows?  Could I get my NASA developed ‘Tempurpedic’ pillow which packs a wallop?  Whatever the rules, I think the world needs more eccentric events like these!

My job
We arrived at the fountain and they wanted us to spread out and position ourselves at each of the garbage can locations.  There was a regular green container, a blue one for recyclable stuff and our compost bag, that needed to be stretched and fitted on its stand.  It was a windy day and the compost bag kept coming off.  It would help to have something in it as weight.  I was assigned to the north side of the fountain and had to manage 2 green, 2 blue and 1 compost containers.  That was a lot to keep track of and really, my main objective was to keep the compost clean by ensuring only organic stuff went in it.  I stationed myself and had my hands full with the wind and the flimsy compost bag.  However, the post-race activities were starting and a lot of people were making their way to our area.  This meant the garbage was staring to pile up. 

I started guiding the people towards the right containers but wasn't successful all the time.  Some asked where they should put their garbage, some mistakenly put it in a wrong container and apologized; and some just didn't care.  This was after all a party and there’s nothing like day-drinking to get people going.  With amount of traffic I was getting I tried my best, but at the end of the day it was all damage control.  Many times I had to fish things from the compost bin and transfer to either trash or recycle.  People kept coming and trash kept piling.  It was getting chilly and I tried walking around.  I checked on Anne’s station and since she was the Event Coordinator, she took some pictures of me standing next to the garbage cans.  Never thought that this day would come!

It was getting towards the end of my shift and Wilson came and stood next to me.  We talked about his morning with the Red Cross and thankfully none of the things that he had mentioned in his email had actually happened.  They asked us to collect our compost bags and deliver to a collection location.  Our ‘Green Team’ had done a commendable job and had collected plenty of bags of compost.  This had been my first ‘environmental project’ and it had been a learning experience.  Today was a lesson in just how much garbage we generate, how careless we can be.  It takes all of us to take care of our planet and every little bit helps.  Sure, sometimes it may cause us some discomfort, but future generations are sure to thank us for our efforts.  The other day I was walking through the lobby of my office building and two women were accepting pledges for people to follow the ‘Earth Hour’.  What that meant was that on Saturday the 23rd of March, at exactly 8 pm, you were to switch off all the lights in your residence for one hour.  They were persuading for me to sign up and even gave me ideas on what I could do.  I said that I was definitely going to participate and was prepared to sit in the dark for an hour and try not use any power.  They said that I didn't need to do that and I could just leave and go to a pub.  I shook my head and said, “If I do that, it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice then would it?”

“No, really.  What has three wheels and flies?”  “Why, a plane, silly.”
“Thank you ladies and gentleman, I will be playing here all weekend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment