Celebrate Victory at Esperanza Annual Fundraiser!

Location: Union League Club of Chicago
Date: Thursday, April 18, 2013; 5:45-10:15 pm

One of the bigger advantages of volunteering with One Brick is that you get to work at an occasional gala and rub shoulders with men and women wearing suits and cocktail dresses.  This was first of the few such events that One Brick would be doing over the coming weeks.  We were required to dress in black from head to toe and since I was going to be coming straight from work, my colleagues must have thought that I was protesting something.  It was drizzling outside and I was delayed at my office due to a deliverable.  Furthermore, I could not find a cab and so I arrived at the event site not only a bit late, but was also wet. 

Wilson was supposed to be the Event Coordinator for this project, but due to floods that were ravaging the Chicago suburbs; he was detained with the Red Cross, managing shelters for hundreds of displaced people.  I saw a mass of black, which could only mean One Brick volunteers and there were a few familiar faces, including Irina.  Our Event Manager, Kinga, assembled us all in an elegant boardroom. Then Stephanie, an Esperanza employee, gave us our assignments.  For my first task, Irina, another volunteer Dave, and I would be helping out at the Art sale.  There were over a hundred pieces of art on display and our job was to carry a clipboard and mingle with the guests in that section. If anyone was interested in buying a piece, we were to note their name, their ‘bidder number’ and then put down a red dot next to the art piece to signify its sale.  Seemed easy enough, but this was no ordinary art collection.  Every piece had been made by a member of the Esperanza community. 

The art of Esperanza
According to the description on One Brick website, “Esperanza Community Services has been serving children and adults with developmental disabilities since 1969. They inspire and empower participants by providing individualized therapeutic, educational, and artistic services. Their bi-lingual programming includes a school, an adult vocational program, two supervised residential homes, and client and family support services.”  This program was started when a mother decided to create the academic and developmental services that were not available to her disabled son anywhere else.  The organization aims to support the participants and allow them to reach their full potential, so that they can live as independently as possible.  This art collection was a step in that direction. 

I was impressed by some of the art on display and strongly contemplated buying a piece for my own apartment.  But my main job was to sell and I chatted with the guests, all of whom were extremely friendly.  Many people asked me for advice on which one to choose.  One lady took me to a couple that she liked and I asked her some questions regarding her décor and tastes and then made a recommendation – not that I knew too much about that.  A gentleman came with his daughter and she picked one.  He made the purchase and then after a few minutes, they both came back because they had changed their mind.  They switched their purchase and then he decided to buy both, which worked for me.  One lady said that she was on a fixed budget, but still wanted to support the artists.  In fact I heard from many how much they admired the artist’s and some were even buying since they had purchased the artist's previous piece and liked their work.  The red dots were flying from my clipboard and at the end of the session; I had managed to sell 24 pieces of art.  Many of the artists were in attendance and it was nice to see their reaction to people appreciating their work.  It had been a worthwhile activity.

The art bagged - almost
The guests left for dinner and live auction, but we still had some work to do to sort out the art sales, as well as the silent auction that had been going on in parallel.  Stephanie wanted us to make invoices for all the purchases and started by asking who had good handwriting.  I immediately disqualified myself and instead started removing the purchased art from the wall and bagging it. Once bagged, Stephanie wanted us to place the bags on the floor alphabetically.  The problem was that most of the art pieces, as well as silent auction ones, were much bigger than the bags and would not fit.  This meant that they would have to be placed on top of the bag, but it would be difficult for the guests to carry these at the end of the evening.  We tried mentioning this, but Stephanie was not having much dialogue and was very controlling about the entire process.  I texted Wilson to express my displeasure on her behavior and his response was to cut Stephanie some slack since she was under a lot of stress.  Well, we managed to finish this task and then it was time for dinner. 

I was immensely surprised to see that the dinner for us was the exact same that the guests were enjoying in the grand ballroom upstairs.  The 3 courses were presented to us, artistically, in the conference room and I must credit the organizers for doing that.  After dinner I went up to the registration area to act as a runner for auction items.  There was some problem with the process and it led to a huge backlog and a bunch of unhappy guests.  All the Esperanza organizers, including Stephanie were having a tough time and dealing with some unpleasant people, including a couple who embarrassed themselves by carrying their drinks to the check-out and causing a rowdy scene by misbehaving with the volunteers as well as amongst themselves.  I did my best by carrying whatever receipts came my way, including things which did not fit in the bags and which made the guests unhappy.  All in all, it was not an ideal place to be in and seeing that we were almost an hour over our scheduled time, Kinga called it a night for us all. 

The One Brick crew at Esperanza
I had work to do that night and was more than happy to depart.  Plus, I was very disappointed with the overall treatment of the volunteers and had a thing or two to say about that.  But Wilson, even from miles away had been right.  It was not Stephanie’s or anyone else’s fault for all the problems.  Like us, they were trying their best.  On occasion, during these projects you will encounter some difficulties.  It doesn't all have to be good, as long as you see the bright spots.  The old adage is that, “When life gives you lemons make lemonade.”  Now, you don’t always have to do that.  For sometimes all lemons need to do, is make for a great garnish on a cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment