Game Night At The Pomeroy

Location: The Pomeroy
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2013; 6:15-8:00 pm

My only visit to this place had resulted in me getting smoked in ‘Uno’ while listening to the National Anthem.  Although the timing had been pushed back by 15 minutes, I still arrived a couple of minutes late.  This place had one of the more impressive lobby entrances and requires one to present a picture ID to get in.  Post those formalities; I entered the activities room to meet our Volunteer leader Lily, as well as some other volunteers, Paul and Jayne.  We were waiting for the residents to join us and after a bit of an uncomfortable silence, we started chatting about Chicago Cares and what had brought us together this evening.  Jayne had been volunteering with New York Cares – the program on which Chicago Cares is based - and since moving to Chicago, had been exploring new things to do.  I was interested in hearing more about the NY Cares, especially since NY is a huge place and each borough is like a city in itself, meaning volunteers would probably have to stick to their area.  Even Wilson would not be able to cover that entire region.  Oh who am I kidding, of course he would!

Jigsaw with Kittens
The reason we were able to talk was because there were no residents.  I walked around the room and saw that the games had been laid out and everything was ready to go.  We had a selection of games, ranging from cards, Uno, Dominoes and even a Jigsaw Puzzle where you had to assemble a picture of kittens!  Finally, a resident came in and sat down by a table which had some crossword puzzle books.  I went over and introduced myself and he said that his name was Roger.  I asked if he enjoyed crosswords, and while it wasn't something that he did regularly, we took a look inside and gave up immediately, when we could not answer the first clue which was “A Chili Brand”.  I asked if he was up for playing Uno and he said that he was.  Since there was nobody else in the room, all of us sat down for a round of Uno. 

Jayne had not played Uno in a while and my understanding of the game was still fresh from the previous time.  I gave her a few pointers and then we started playing.  As usual, my luck wasn't holding up and even a newcomer like Jayne was giving me a hard time, albeit without the singing.  Soon we had one other resident come in and Paul and Lily went to play Dominoes with her, leaving me with Jayne and Roger.  I asked him how long he had been at Pomeroy and he said a few years, though he had been on the waiting list for almost 12 years.  He went on tell us that he was born in Chicago, but had been living in Memphis for a long time.  I asked what took him to Memphis and he said lack of jobs over here.  He said that he has an associate degree in Engineering, but fell short of the GPA required for a Bachelor’s degree.  Speaking of jobs, Jayne mentioned how age has now become a hurdle for jobs and how older people are being phased out, a point that was fully endorsed by Roger.  I said why older, nowadays companies are hiring people straight out of school to keep the costs down; even folk like me are not safe.  The talk of jobs, or lack thereof, usually results in a discussion on outsourcing – a topic on which I have said a few things.  Roger did have some interesting comments on Unions though, not being a big fan and called for their downsizing.  We could have talked about jobs till the end of the evening, but decided on move on to much pleasant topics such as food, particularly food from Memphis – the one thing the place is known for, according to Roger.

Central Park: One of my favorite places
Roger asked me where I was from and I said Mumbai, India.  He said, “You mean Bombay, don’t you”? and I was pleasantly surprised that he knew about that.  Jayne said that she had traveled in India and talked about visiting places like Delhi, Agra and Jaipur.  We discussed some of the tourist attractions and I asked her about living in Chicago vs. New York City.  We agreed that Chicago is definitely better and she said the streets appeared cleaner as well.  This prompted me to ask one of my favorite questions regarding the two cities and I asked her what the one main difference was between streets of NY and Chicago.  I am amazed that nobody ever guesses this correctly and when I mentioned that it was the lack of street vendors in Chicago, both of them said it should have been obvious.  As much as I enjoy this aspect of Chicago, I must say that a street vendor does sound nice late at night, after you have been out in NYC!  I told Jayne that I do appreciate that NYC has Central Park, to which she said that Chicago has its own Lincoln Park.  I countered by saying that the charm of Central Park was being surrounded by the city on all four sides, a sight that always amazes me.  Jayne asked me about living in Chicago and how I liked it.  I said that I missed driving and some of the challenges in not having a car, particularly going for projects that are a bit outside downtown.  I said that I was getting a bit tired of this cold weather and wouldn't mind living for 6 months in San Diego and coming back to Chicago for summer.  Jayne said that she actually loves winter and would do the exact opposite of me.  I have mentioned this 6-month shift to several people and Jayne was the first one to pick this cycle.  Oh well, everyone has their likes. 

Throughout this conversation, our game was going on and Paul had rejoined us.  My record of not winning was unblemished and though I came close, Jane kept playing spoilsport, though she was very apologetic about penalizing me.  Soon the time was up and I mentioned to Roger that I had enjoyed our conversation and he said that hopefully I would be back.  I said I absolutely would and left.  In terms of attendance, tonight was not spectacular, with the volunteers outnumbering the residents.  Often I have heard arguments that such programs do not make sense and Chicago Cares should focus on those which need us the most.  Now, I am a scientist by training and was taught to read data and draw my conclusions based off that.  If I was to strictly follow those guidelines, the critics are right.  But who’s to say Roger’s need is any lesser than others who attend these programs en masse?  Numbers do not always tell the story, and certainly not in this case.  So what if we had just a couple of participants?  I am certain we had made a difference in their evening and that’s all that matters. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment