What’s the Word

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2013; 6:30-8 pm

After a period of almost 2 months, I was finally back for ‘What’s The Word’ project.  It also meant that I had missed out on the March/April issue of ‘As We See It’.  I saw Jim and Jack by the TV, and knowing that Jim is an avid sports fan, I asked if he was excited about the Baseball season.  He started on his pet peeve that is the 'Cubs' and said that it was unfair that Chicago was a 'Cubs' town when the 'White Sox' had a much better record and performance over the past decade.  He blamed the media for their fascination with the 'Cubs' and before he could continue with that, other volunteers started to arrive.  I saw Noel, who is a regular at ‘Paint The Town Red’ and besides Gwyn, some of the other volunteers were Sallie, Tash and Erin.  Amongst the residents, usual members of our editorial board – Jim, Jack and Mary were in attendance, though Larry was missing, having gone to bed after taking some pain killers for his back. 

The first 'Batman' issue
While Gwyn set things up, I took a look at the last month’s issue that I had missed, and it looked like the team had done a fine job.  Since today’s task was preparation and research for the May/June issue, Gwyn split us into groups.  There was only one laptop, but Sallie said that she had an iPAD and Erin and I each had a smart phone, which meant that we could use those for research.  One of the things that Jack likes to do, and which I had helped him with the last time, is using the book ‘Chase’s Calendar Of Events’, to identify some of the more unique occasions through the history.  Noel had taken over that role and at the previous session, she and Jack had realized that the characters of both, ‘Batman’ and ‘Superman’ had been introduced in the month of May and June.  Using that as a basis, Gwyn had assigned Sallie and Jim the task of finding out about this launch and more specifically, what that first issue of Batman and Superman would be worth today.  After a brief Google search, they reported back that while ‘Batman’ had sold for $1 Million, ‘Superman’, had been purchased at $2.6 Million.  Having grown up collecting such comic books, I wish I had kept all of mine! It was natural for ‘Superman’ to have fetched more than ‘Batman’ and I was not surprised to hear that.  Gwyn also wanted some pictures of the first cover and at one stage Sallie found one with ‘Batman & Robin’.  I said that I may not know much about the history of the origins, but I know for the sure that Robin should not be present in the first issue of ‘Batman’

And the first 'Superman'
Some of the other things that were being researched were local events in Chicago over May and June. Taash and Mary were on it, while Erin was reading about the ‘Kentucky Derby’.  My task was to find out unique things that would go alongside 3 important days in May and June – ‘Mother’s Day’, ‘Father’s Day’ and ‘Memorial Day’.  Having done this for over six years, they were running out of cool facts to mention each time and hence Gwyn wanted me to do a bit of research using my phone.  I entered ‘Mother’s Day unique facts’ as a search parameter, and was soon led to a page about a woman named Mrs. Vassilyev of Russia.  She has set the record as the most prolific mother by giving birth to 69 children, which included 16 pairs of twins, 7 sets of triplets and 4 sets of quadruplets.  All of this happened sometime between 1725 and 1765 – they most noteworthy things being that despite the lack of medical facilities in that era, 67 out of 69 children survived infancy.  When I read this out, everyone was stunned and we unanimously agreed that this should make it to the list of things to include.  I wrote down on a notepad and while Mrs. Vassilyev is definitely in contention for ‘Mother of the Millennium’,  the only thing I can say about her husband is, “Well done Sir!”

Nothing that I found for ‘Father’s Day’ could top that, and most of the trivia was already known to Gwyn.  Some of the fun facts were about how neckties were the most popular gift and the total number of ‘stay at home dads’.  The best thing I found was a quote by Mark Twain which says “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”  Next was a search on ‘Memorial Day’ and Jack asked me if I knew about the origins of the day.  I said it must have been after World War II, but I soon realized that I was mistaken, the first recording of something similar dating back to the Civil War.  I did find something interesting, that the actual observance of ‘Memorial Day’ happens at 3 pm.  Well, now all of us knew.

It was time to wrap up for the day and we still had one more session to finish the issue.  I told Jack and Noel to find something special in the book to include for my birthday in June.  I also reminded Noel to pick up the cards she had left behind at Pat Crowley House.  Before leaving I chatted with some of the other volunteers and told Sallie about the other projects that Chicago Cares has, now acting as a spokesperson for the organization.  I always enjoy coming to this project and having been my first ever activity with Chicago Cares, it is special to me.  Not only do I meet great people, but this is the one place to come learn about fascinating trivia, like Mrs. Vassilyev.  What a lady!

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment