Bingo Fun with Seniors

Location: Caroline Hedger Apartments
Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2013; 6:00-7:00 pm

This was a program I had never done before, or even come close to doing.  But I was free this Wednesday evening and decided to make the trip.  And boy, it was a long trip - way up north near Loyola.  The commute meant that I was rushing to make it in time.  I arrived a couple of minutes late, meaning that the Bingo session had already commenced.  Melissa, or Missy, was leading this one and she asked me grab a Bingo card and go over to a table.  I saw a table with a lady and a gentleman and went over to sit with them.  What followed was the most hilarious Bingo episode of my career.

Here we go again
One of the volunteers was at a whiteboard, writing down the numbers that had been called.  This, in my opinion was a great idea, since it allowed everyone to fill out the numbers that they may have missed, and also let me catch-up despite being late. I noticed that the gentleman at my table was constantly giggling.  Well, I have been to several Bingo sessions, but have never seen any resident find it to be an amusing game.  I asked him what was so funny and he replied that he was just in a good mood.  I could appreciate that since it is definitely better than the alternative.  I looked around me and saw that Missy had brought some cupcakes for the residents and they were some of the most colorful ones that I had seen.  I also noticed that the gentleman on my table had a bottle of hot sauce with him and I asked if he planned to use it on the cakes.  At this he burst into a new set of giggles and I was happy to have contributed to his good mood.

The lady, who introduced herself as Romi, asked me if I was from the Philippines.  I said no; I was Indian.  This did not seem to convince her and she asked me if I was from any other oriental country.  I said no; I was originally from India.  She asked if I had a different ancestry.  I said not that I’m aware of.  “No, really”, she asked suspiciously.  I said yes, I was sure!  Man, she was difficult to convince.  This exchange added further fuel to the giggling man’s humorous fit and he continued with his silent laughter.  Missy, on the other hand, was as serious a Bingo caller as I have ever seen.  Well, at least someone was having fun.

Romi won and selected a word search book.  She told me that now she couldn't win another prize till everyone else had won; which I found to be a practice consistent with other places.  Next, the giggling gentleman won and to my immense surprise, he handed his board to Romi, who chose another lady to get the prize.  I was confused and asked the gentleman why he had given his prize away and he said that he was not allowed to win.  This was strange since he had not won before and I was wondering if he had somehow managed to get himself banned from winning prizes over here.  I was about to ask that when he said that volunteers were not allowed to win.  Wait.  What????  A volunteer!!! This gentleman - Tom, who I had been mistaking for a resident, was actually a volunteer.  Man, what a faux pas.

In the meanwhile the game continued and a lady at another table won and as she got up to choose a prize, Romi went on a tirade where she claimed that the lady had already won before and was hiding her earlier prize.  Tom started giggling as Romi took it up a notch by claiming that the lady who had supposedly cheated was drunk last Saturday.  Now, what did that have to do with anything?  In my opinion what the other lady did in her free time was her business, but apparently not according to Romi!  I looked at Tom and he said, “Now do you understand why I’m giggling?”  Yeah, now I understood and I was having a blast.  Another lady won and Romi resumed her tirade, saying that this was her 4th win.  I was quite sure it was an exaggeration, but did not correct her.  Instead I looked at Tom and both of us burst out laughing. 

Next, Romi won and even though she had a prize, she got up with an innocent look on her face and claimed one more – garbage bags this time.  She then brought them back and hid them underneath the table.  The she removed them and kept on top.  Then she hid them again and finally when Missy announced that everyone had a prize, she displayed them proudly.  “Make up your mind”, I said.  Tom giggled.  Romi was now warmed up and said that everyone over there cheats and if I looked under all the tables, I would find lot of hidden prizes.  I said that perhaps she should get a bag next time so as to hide hers and Tom called me a troublemaker, at which I started laughing and he joined in.

Missy was looking at our table suspiciously and seemed generally irritated at our behavior.  Amidst her glares, Romi continued her complaining and when someone called Bingo, she accused them of cheating, though how can you cheat at something which is as transparent as Bingo numbers was beyond me.  Just as Romi was complaining that someone had won for the 5th time, she won herself and went to claim her 3rd prize, another puzzle book.  Missy asked how many prizes she had and Romi said only 2 – as she hid the garbage bags again.  Then she continued muttering how others were claiming multiple prizes and Tom asked her if she would jump off a bridge just because others were doing so.  Romi hit Tom playfully as he started giggling again and Missy glared once more. 

Finally the hour was up and it was hard to believe that we had managed to pack so much action in such a short time.  By action I mean the hilarity which had ensued and I told Missy that this was the most fun I have had, without getting into the specifics as to why.  Before I left we chatted about the Chicago Cares ‘Christmas Caroling’ project that she is leading in December, and I told her that we should have spiked ‘Eggnog with Rum’ on the bus as we went from one site to another.  This seemed to relax her and she let go of her irritation with us.  I left that day as I usually leave after a Chicago Cares project, happy that I had come.  The only difference was that instead of smiling, I was laughing.  What an evening!

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment