Come Help Feed The Homeless And Neighbors In Need At North Side Ravenswood

Location: All Saints' Episcopal Church
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 2013; 6:00-8:00 pm

I found this opportunity on the Volunteer Meetup group and upon closer inspection saw that none other than Wilson had posted it.  I asked him about it and he said that initially he had approached One Brick to put this event on their calendar, but they had been reluctant and so he had “gone rogue”.  He had been talking about getting more involved through Meetup and this seemed to be his first foray into that realm.  A lot of people had signed up and there was in fact a waiting list. Seeing this makes me wonder why One Brick sometimes has difficulty in filling up their spots.  I did not know anyone else on the roster except Amanda, who had also signed up.  The information on Ravenswood Community Services said, “Ravenswood Community Services provides hunger and poverty relief, health services, and life skills education in the Ravenswood and Uptown neighborhoods. In 1993, they began handing out bags of groceries to about 20 neighbors through the front doors of All Saints' Chicago. Today, this vibrant non-profit serves hundreds of hungry neighbors each week and implements strategic neighborhood change through their feeding programs and through their partnership with Ravenswood School.”  Definitely looked like an ideal organization to support.

The 'Haven'
I arrived at 6 pm and it was good that instructions had been provided on how to get inside since the entrance was hidden between two buildings. Many volunteers were assembled and some of them asked what One Brick was all about. Since there was no official EC for this project, I gave a short overview and some folks said that they would like to participate. We were still waiting to be called in and so I looked around the waiting area; and was delighted to see that behind me was what appeared to be an office, and inside were 3 dogs. They were the site manager’s pets and seemed pretty exited to get some attention.  I was taking their pictures, and one of the volunteers Katarina asked if I liked dogs so much, perhaps I could walk hers!  Anna, the volunteer coordinator for the pantry, came in and welcomed us.  She told us about the pantry and how besides food distribution, they also did a dinner service, where tonight we would be serving around 125 guests.  She then took us to a place that she called “Haven”, where various pantry items were on display, and people were browsing.  We then went down to the kitchen, where a team of volunteers who had arrived earlier in the evening, had finished cooking the meal. Our task was to carry the trays of food upstairs and serve the various tables.  The menu for tonight was ‘Ham & Veggies’ and ‘Mashed Potatoes & Gravy’.  It looked good and it seemed like the cooking team had done a great job.

The dining area - all cleared
We formed a line and picked up the trays and walked up two flights of stairs to the dining area.  Once there we looked at Anna for instructions and served the tables as per her directions.  The room was buzzing with people and I made several trips, as did other servers, but we were done quite soon – all of us getting a decent workout with the climbing. Even with our speed, with so many guests, by the time the last plate had been served, the empty trays had started piling up and were on their way down to the kitchen for washing.  I went about collecting the empty trays and delivered them to the waiting volunteers, many of who had formed an assembly line of dryers, since there were many hands that were already washing.  As I wasn’t needed in the kitchen, I went back upstairs to help clean the dining area, which had now emptied out.  We folded the tables and stored them, following which I grabbed a vacuum cleaner and went around the room.  I came back down to see that cleaning, drying and storing were in full flow.  There was a lot of excess food that had not been served and most of it was being thrown in garbage.  This is a pet hate of mine and I mentioned to Anna that they should have take-home containers – similar to what many other places do.  She said that it might not be allowed, though she would look into it.  

I chatted with one of the cooks from the earlier shift and he has been volunteering here for a long time.  He told us that once a year during the holidays the place transforms itself into a restaurant and they do a gourmet dinner with Tablecloths, printed menu’s and the volunteer’s even dress up.  The idea is to make the guests feel important and more festive than usual.  It is a brilliant idea and I made a note to try and come for that.  As I took out the garbage and came back in, I saw a flyer for a fundraiser event that they were having on Friday.  I asked Anna if she required volunteers and she said that in fact they did.  I said I could come, as did many others.  She seemed delighted at this and it looked like we were already booked for our next assignment.  Although this wasn’t a One Brick event, we still went out afterwards and I chatted with Katarina about other projects where she could get her dogs, like ‘Pet Therapy’ at Lakeview Nursing.  It had been a good evening, meeting some new folks who typically would not have signed with One Brick, because they didn't know about it.  Well, now they did, as did I about Ravenswood Community Services.  And I would be seeing them again very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment