Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, December 04, 2013; 5:45-9:00 pm

Wonder why they had this on display?
Besides death and taxes, one of the almost guarantees in life is Thomas from Chicago Cares asking me to lead this project.  Perhaps I should consider being a permanent leader for this one.  I got the sign-in sheet and as has been my custom, in the afternoon I sent a welcome email to everyone.  I walked over to the site and as I entered, I saw a table with ‘Mardi Gras’ paraphernalia on it; like masks etc.  This was a bit perplexing and I wondered if we were going to have New Orleans inspired cuisine this evening.  Keith was giving orders in the kitchen to some of the volunteers and he had forgotten my name again.  I said to him that its only been 10 months since I have been coming here, to which he responded that he remembers my face, just not my name.  Well, I guess that’s fair.
  
Although he wanted me to go help in the clothing room, I said that I had to wait for my volunteers and they arrived soon enough – Jenny, Alexia and Alexis.  I took them to the clothing room and then came back to see how I could help in the kitchen.  I joined Hannah, who is in 8th grade and whom I have seen every single time I have come here.  Kudos to her for doing this, for when I was in 8th grade; I had not even heard about volunteering, let alone participate in it.  She was on desserts and that’s one thing we had plenty of this evening.  Keith asked if I could work with her and so for the next several minutes we piled up the 21 plates with huge cake pieces, donuts, cookies and some other treats.  Even with our best efforts we were not even close to using up all of the cakes and so went over to put the rest in the walk-in refrigerator.  This posed another problem since there was no space and so we had to stuff the cakes wherever we could find a spot.  But I guess having a full refrigerator in a place like this is a good thing and I would much rather have to make space rather than walk into an empty one.

The salads were ready and the desserts had been plated, meaning we had some free time prior to service. The rest of the volunteers had returned back from the clothing room and I had an opportunity to chat with them, not just the Chicago Cares ones, but also those who were volunteering directly with LaSalle Street Church.  They were paying rapt attention as I told them about this place and it certainly appeared that they had identified me as one of the leaders.  Also present was Stephanie, who is a staff member at ‘Esperanza’, an organization I have volunteered for through One Brick.  We chatted about some of their events, just as Keith called everyone to attention.  It was time for his speech.

He started by reminding everyone about the philosophy of "giving, sharing, loving, caring" as well as "respect and dignity" – something that I have heard several times, but it never gets old.  Today he was picking on Hannah, often calling on her to provide these key words.  Marianne was missing and he said that she had fallen down the stairs and was in physical therapy.  This was a shame since I enjoy her company on these projects.  He said that he had received a text from her, where she had asked him to rely on a volunteer called Dana, and by the look on her face, this was news to Dana!  Keith assigned duties, and I would be starting off by serving juice, along with a new volunteer.  I told him how the guests would ask him for refills before we were done serving everyone and how he was to respectfully tell them that he would be back.  We went outside and saw a young man talking on the microphone about his challenging experiences in life, and how he was trying to turn it around by putting himself through school.  He then started the evening’s entertainment by singing along with another gentleman.
Tonight's main course

The food was brought out and on the menu tonight were chili, pasta and bread – definitely not New Orleans cuisine.  I went around serving juice and it was great to chat with some of the guests, including one gentleman who said that he was planning to behave himself tonight by being ‘G-Rated’!  We started serving food and like last time, I took up Marianne’s duty of pointing at tables which were to be served next, and all the volunteers took their cues from me. As usual, we were efficient and no sooner had we finished serving, than many had already lined up for seconds.  We finished that as well and then it was time for clean-up.  Once again, it pained me to throw away most of the salad and they really need to rethink this 21 table distribution.  A lot of food got thrown in garbage, including leftover bread – and lots of it.  At least the dessert cakes, which we had put out for seconds and people did not take with them, were returned to the refrigerator.

I was keeping an eye on my Chicago Cares volunteers and they were doing a terrific job.  I assigned one of them to the “exciting” task of collecting salt & pepper shakers, as well as the artificial flowers center pieces, while I took to stacking and moving the chairs.  I had never operated the trolley that is used to push the stack of 10 chairs and it was back-breaking work.  By the time we had finished clearing the floor, I was drenched in sweat and totally exhausted.  Even then, it had been a satisfying night and while I was tired, it made me proud to be considered a leader for this program, and someone who is a regular to be relied upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment