Zoo Lights Festival!

Location: Lincoln Park Zoo
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013; 4:45-9:00 pm

Spread over 35 acres along Chicago’s Lakefront, Lincoln Park Zoo is over a hundred years old and for every day during that period it has remained open and free to the public.  Every holiday season all the trees, other plant life and in general the entire zoo comes alive after dark with the annual ‘Zoo Lights Festival’.  I had attended it the previous year and had been thoroughly impressed with what I had seen.  Little did I know that One Brick helps out through ‘Arts & Crafts’ activities for kids, who are amongst the thousands of visitors that the zoo gets each year for this festival.  I had done a project at the zoo earlier in the year, pouring beer at Living Social Craft Beer Festival.  Today, I would be the EC to Wilson’s EM and thankfully no alcohol or intoxicated people would be involved.

Since we had some time to spare between the ‘Chicago Cares Caroling’ program and the start of this one, we spent the afternoon roaming around the ‘Lincoln Park Conservatory & Zoo’.  Looking at the displays and the general maintenance of the place and the animals, I found it amazing that the place was free.  The Conservatory had exhibits of holiday train models running routes around the plants and as far as I am concerned, the world cannot have enough train models – an absolute delight to watch at any age.  We were to be stationed at the Zoo’s ‘Primate House’ and arrived there around 4:30 to wait for our volunteers.  Besides One Brick, Wilson had recruited from Meetup and so we were expecting a big turnout.  As the volunteers started filtering in, I looked around us and we were surrounded by the Primates cages.  It was certainly the most exotic locations that I had ever done a project in.  It definitely made for a fantastic experience, though the ambient lighting could have been brighter. 

Scratch-off ornaments
The site rep told us that we would be managing 2 stations this evening, one making Antlers, which would be located at the center of the ‘Primates House’ and other for decorating scratch-off Christmas tree ornaments, which would be located near the entrance.  We had plenty of volunteers and we split them in two groups to manage both the locations.  The group with the scratch-off ornaments had different shapes like Santa, sleigh, Christmas tree, snowflakes, and various animals like monkey, big cats, etc.  There were pointed objects that looked like pens and which kids could use to expose the bright colors on the cards and make their designs.  There were strings to form loops and the hang on trees as ornaments.  The Antlers were already pre-cut and the kids would be using the thousands of stickers that we had to decorate them and then tie flexible string around it and put on their head.  There were more number of volunteers there, including Maureen who leads the Young Scientists project at McCormick Elementary School.  In fact her entire family was here, including her sister and her sister’s baby that had been delivered in a car!

The crowds started coming in thick and fast and both of the stations started getting busy.  As the EC, my job was to walk between both tables and ensure that the volunteers got what they wanted.  A new volunteer who called himself Mr. Jeff had been recruited through Wilson’s meetup and asked how he could help.  He appeared to be a good-natured person and so I put him at the entrance to greet the people coming in and direct them to the first table.  He was fantastic and sold the heck out of our programs by getting people excited.  His energy was terrific and he spent the entire evening on his feet cheering the visitors.  At the scratch-off table was a lady who I thought was with us.  When I couldn’t locate her on the sign-up sheet, Wilson told me that she was a General visitor who had special needs and had enjoyed the previous days activities to such an extent that she had returned and wanted to participate today as well.  She was harmless and having a great time, so we were please to have her there. 

And the Antlers
Wilson had portable speakers that I connected to my phone to play some Holiday music near the scratch-off station.  While it did create the mood, most of the kids and their parents were totally engrossed in the activity.  The beauty of the 'Arts & Crafts' activities is that while the kids are making their own creations, the volunteers get involved and do their own projects.  Today was no exception and I saw several folks scratching off their own cards and making some beautiful designs.  The antlers group was doing the same and I joined in to make some antlers and put on top of my Santa’s cap that I had been wearing since the morning.  We were really busy and our volunteers were working non-stop.  I kept asking folks if they needed to take a break and almost everyone said no since they were having a great time.  When someone at the scratch-off table did go for a break, I took over and worked with a little girl who came and made a cat like creature.  She was concentrating hard and I asked if she was going to name the cat.  She thought about it for a moment and said “Maybe”.  I was making a snowman and she seemed interested in that, giving me suggestions on what additions to make.  Once I was done, I gave it to her and she seemed pleased.  Aah, another satisfied customer! 

It wasn’t just the kids who were having fun, two young couples came and started scratching off the designs and by looks of things, were engaged in some sort of unspoken competition with each other, with me egging them on!  I went to check on the antlers group and realized that one of the volunteers was a professional chef.  Wilson and I were going to be leading the cooking project at Ronald McDonalds House soon and so spent some time discussing the potential menu with him.  He brainstormed with us and even gave us his ‘Restaurant Depot’ card to use   I love multi-tasking, for it looked like we had a solid plan for that project…and had managed to secure discounted groceries. 
It was beautiful outside

It was getting close to the end and we started cleaning up.  Our volunteers had performed exceptionally well under the onslaught of the traffic, not least Mr. Jeff who had been a trooper.  As we prepared to leave, we saw the lady with special needs still by the table, working on some project. Wilson went over and asked if she required a ride and she said that someone was going to pick her up.  It was raining outside, but the zoo lights were spectacular and we got to admire them as we walked towards the exit.  Some of us went out to eat and Mr. Jeff had us in splits with his stories.  I have a feeling that I am going to run into him quite frequently.  Wilson dropped me home after what had been a long, but wonderful day.  It had started with the Caroling group and ended amongst the brilliant zoo lights.  For me there were two lasting memories from the day.  First were the residents of ‘Lakeview Nursing’ who had responded to our singing in a way that I had least expected. Second was the special needs lady who had spent the entire evening at our table working on the scratch-off cards.  It was meant to be a program of the kids, but had mattered most to someone else; showing that we should never take the impact of anything for granted.  Today were my last projects of 2013 for both, Chicago Cares and One Brick.   In fact, I had finished 3rd in the number of hours that I had put on for One Brick Chicago this year.  And what a year it had been.  One that I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment