Adler Planetarium Interview – Part 1

Location: Adler Planetarium
Date: Tuesday, March 18, 2014; 6:00-6:30 pm

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
-          Carl Sagan

I was a kid when I first saw ‘Cosmos’ and to be honest, was completely underwhelmed; preferring instead to travel the galaxy with ‘Captain Kirk’ and his merry men on ‘USS Enterprise’.  It took years before I could truly appreciate the brilliance of Carl Sagan, for he was not just trying to wow us with the wonders of the Universe; he was aiming to awaken the curiosity…the passion, for discovery.  He took us to our past in order to show us our future.  And it wasn’t just him or ‘Star Trek’, there were the ‘Voyager’ missions, the ‘Space Shuttles’, the ‘Mars Explorer’, the ‘Cassini’ mission…everything contributed towards me becoming fascinated with our Universe and its exploration.  Years ago I had visited ‘Adler Planetarium’ during a trip to Chicago.  Little did I know then that someday I would be applying to be a part of the team.

The final frontier
I had met the staff of Adler at a ‘Volunteer Expo’ last month and learned that like any other organization, they too required volunteers for their museum as well as special events.  I had submitted an application and felt that if selected, for once I could use my science background as a volunteer.  Not having heard back for several weeks I filled out another application online and then received an email from the volunteer coordinator Natalie, requesting an interview.  The times that she had proposed were going to be difficult for me, so after a bit of to-and-fro, we settled on this evening.  I tweeted in the morning that I was interviewing at Adler and tagged them.  I had said that it was my chance to “finally reach for the stars”.  They immediately marked it as “favorite” and wished me luck.  Looks like I was off to a good start.

I arrived to find that the door was locked, so I called her and a security lady then let me in.  Natalie met me and took me into a classroom.  She had asked me to get my resume and I handed it to her, saying that this was my first interview with a resume in several years.  She asked me why I was interested in volunteering for them, and I told her about watching ‘Cosmos’ as a kid and the other events that had led me there.  She asked about my science background and I said that while I was trained as a Chemist rather than a Physicist, she should not hold it against me!  She said that they would bring me in as an ‘Adler After Dark’ volunteer.  I had been to that event a few times last year and enjoyed it quite a bit.  She said that I would be managing carts with experimental set-ups on them; engaging and educating the visitors.  Plus there would be other roles that I would be helping out as required.

The next step was a group interview with the staff leader Michael, where I would need to do a 15 minute experiment as a demo.  Yikes!  Fortunately that was almost a month away and I had some time to think of what I would be doing.  Then there would be a 4 hour orientation before they could let me loose on the visitors.  They needed a one year commitment, with the events being once a month.  I said I could do that and now it was just a question of me preparing for my demo experiment.  As I left that day, I thought about the famous dialogue from ‘Seinfeld’ when ‘George’ goes to work for the ‘Yankees’“Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle ... Costanza?”.  In this case it was – “Einstein, Hawkins, Sagan, deGrasse Tyson…Tipnis?”  Well, it would be an interesting ride to the final frontier for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment