Lunch At People’s City Mission

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Date: Saturday, May 31, 2014; 9:00 am-12:30 pm

A few years ago, I had never imagined that there would be any reason for me to go to Lincoln, Nebraska.  It’s not as if the city is known for its “Broadway Shows” or sprawling skyline.  But things change and I met a friend who calls it home, and I made a promise to someday visit with them.  However, at the risk of repeating the same phrase; things change.  But a promise is a promise, even if it meant that I would have to make another one of my trips by myself.  Well, maybe some things remain the same.  I have volunteered at places outside of Chicago before, like the breakfast project at Hartford last Christmas and my visit to Boston for the marathon.  I wanted to do the same while in Lincoln, because it was something my friend would have appreciated.  So I looked online and found ‘People’s City Mission’.  On their website they said, “Our mission is to be a witness for Christ among the poor and homeless, serve their needs, and advocate their cause to the community at large.”  This was definitely something I could respect and so I wrote to them, saying that I would be in the city and would be honored to come and help in any capacity that I could.  I heard back from the volunteer coordinator Michele and she welcomed my request.  After a few email exchanges, we settled on me coming to help with the lunch service on Saturday morning from 9 am to noon.

It was a strange location
After exploring a bit of the Saturday street market, I made my way to the location, once again trusting my ‘GPS’.  As I walked towards my destination, the roads became unpaved and it looked like I was entering an abandoned industrial park.  I was questioning if I was in the right place, when I saw a sign for the mission.  I went inside and checked-in with the lady at reception, who asked me what duty I was reporting for.  It seems like there were several tasks associated with the lunch service and in order to send me to the right place, I had to be more precise.  Michele wasn’t in, so I just said that I was supposed to be in the kitchen.  She took me inside and introduced me to a gentleman named Randy, who was in charge and was expecting me.  I washed up and after putting on my apron, hairnet and gloves, I was introduced to a good-natured young man James, who would be directing me today.

The first task he allocated was cutting sweet potatoes and for that purpose, presented me with a selection of knives to choose from.  Now, there are chefs for whom a perfectly balanced knife is critical, but I am not one of them.  I picked one and was then directed to a giant sink, into which he poured a huge box of sweet potatoes and immersed them in water.  I was to extract them one at a time, remove any strings that were attached, chop off the ends and then cut into two pieces.  If the potato was bigger, then I was to cut along the length as well.  I hate estimations and I knew that at the end of this exercise, I would be lucky to have two pieces of the same size!  They needed 3 big pans filled with the potatoes and for the next 90 minutes, that’s exactly what I did.

My sweet potatoes
Randy reminded me a lot of Keith from Wells Street Café in a way that while he would appear to be whimsical at times, he was in complete control of the kitchen.  He asked me about how I had gotten involved and I told him about my history with Chicago Cares.  He then told me about the place I was at.  Opened in 1907, ‘People’s Mission’ is a shelter for men, women and children in transition and they can stay there for however long it took for them to land on their feet.  It is one of the only 3 such facilities in the nation and is not government funded, since their chairman does not want government micromanaging their activities.  Randy said that he treats the guests as you would treat any other guest and in fact served them “Prime Rib” the previous week.  He really was Keith of this place and I mentioned about Keith’s speech at the beginning of each service on how to treat our guests.  Randy told me how they recycle everything and how nothing is wasted.  People donate a lot of things to the mission, including cars, which the guests can use as per their need.  He mentioned that residents usually do chores around the mission while they look for jobs.  He said that he had seen some outstanding young men who had been prior residents, now giving back to the mission and that was the true measure of the program’s success.  I asked about the menu for today and he said that Saturday’s lunch was usually leftovers.  The sweet potatoes that I was chopping were for dinner, where they would accompany “Baked Ham”.  So there was no rush for me to be done, which was good since I was the only kitchen helper this morning, with a few “no-shows”.  I looked around and saw through some pictures and comments that Randy was well liked over here, and he deserved it too.

And my tomatoes
I was finally done with 3 pans of sweet potatoes and the next job was to slice tomatoes. They were of different types and sizes and while I was slicing them in discs, James asked me to save the tops which have the stems in them and something that I usually discard.  I tried to be consistent with my discs, but let’s face it, that was a stretch.  I went through a lot of tomatoes and it was a miracle that I had gotten this far without an accident!  Next, James told me to take all the tops that we had saved and to work around the stems and dice the edible part.  They truly use everything here and based on the amount that I eventually collected, I could see why.  I had filled up half a container with parts of tomatoes which I would have thrown out.  Now they were going into a meal.  Life lessons are everywhere, waiting to be learnt.

It was getting close to lunch time and other volunteers had started filtering in.  They were to be the servers and I could see through their banter with Randy that they were regulars over here. The dining area was getting filled with families and I could see a lot of kids.  I was done with my tomatoes and so I walked into the dining area to see that it was a similar “café style” setup like the few that I have seen in Chicago.  The only difference was that in this case the guests walked over to the serving stations and were served, rather that plates being brought to them.  The merits of this system are that people get what they want and there is minimum wastage. 

It was time for me to be on my way and Randy offered for me to eat with the other volunteers.  I said that I couldn't stay and he shook my hand and thanked me for coming.  I wished him and James luck and told them that if I was ever back in town, I would stop by.  I had worked hard on this one and had been on my feet without a break for over 3 and half hours.  But I liked it.  I liked the fact that they do not offer special privileges to volunteers, let alone visiting ones.  I had been treated like one of them and there is no greater compliment than that.  I would be leaving Lincoln a far better …more knowledgeable person, than the one who had come here to fulfill a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment