Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, February 05, 2014; 5:45-9:00 pm

I was waiting for it and sure enough, in the afternoon I got an email from Thomas asking if I could lead the project or should he just cancel it because of snow.  Well, I’m sure there was a middle ground here somewhere, but I agreed to lead and so that was settled.  I usually prefer to send welcome emails to the volunteers and today was no exception.  However, unlike other times, I used the Chicago Cares leadership portal to send my message.  Very soon one person dropped out, though two others signed up, including Wilson.  I printed the attendance sheet and arrived at the site a little before the start time.  Marianne, whom I hadn't seen for some time was there this evening and she even remembered me and gave me a hug.  For once Keith recognized me, though he misspoke my name as usual.  Aah well, baby steps.

Wilson was already there and soon my other volunteers arrived – Laura, Lindsey and Rahul.  There were others who were volunteering directly with ‘Breaking Bread’, including regular’s like Joe, and newcomers like a couple who had recently moved from England.  But it still looked like we were going to be lighter than usual.  I put Wilson and Rahul on chopping the lettuce and tomatoes for the salad and Laura went over to help crack eggs – dozens and dozens of eggs.  I had to learn how to use an industrial sized, table mounted can opener to open cans of fruits. After straining them, the British couple took over the task of chopping the three types of fruits – peaches, pears and mandarin oranges.  The syrup made my gloves sticker with the opening of each can and it was just making it that much more difficult to get a grip.  I chatted with the couple and we discussed British TV shows – which are the best – and football – otherwise known as soccer here.  The cans were never ending and after doing this for a while, I passed it to Lindsey and went over to check on the rest of my team.

The washing station
Wilson and Rahul and finished with the chopping and were now mixing the dressing, followed by the distribution into 21 bowls.  We finished that, as well as the fruit salad and placed them on  the racks and into the refrigerator.  Laura had finished cracking the eggs and was now helping scramble them, while a group of three women were making toast.  Marianne asked me to assign someone to the “Nurse duty” and I asked Lindsey if she would do it.  Then she needed someone to help wash the bigger pots and pans and I put Rahul on it.  This task was to be done at the back of the room, which had 3 huge basins that were the wash, rinse and sanitize stations.  We filled them up, ready for the utensils to come in. 

The guests were filtering in and now it was time for our group huddle with Keith and Marianne.  Keith started by asking how many were new and since almost everyone except me and Wilson were there for the first time, what he had to say would be important for them to listen to – though the British couple had to leave and thus missed this important part.  Besides his usual speech, he mentioned a young man who was in attendance and whom Keith had met a few days ago and had helped him get some clothes and medicine.  Then he introduced Marianne, saying that she wasn’t in the best of health and had some other concerns, but is a real trooper if there was one.  He told us how she had recently visited one of the guests who comes here, in the hospital.  I mean its one thing to serve, but it takes a far greater nobility to really care.  But that’s Marianne for you.

Marianne reminded us to not give the guests any money and then assigned duties.  I usually start by distributing the juice, but since we didn't have any today, I was going to help plate.  As usual, we prayed before going out and entered the dining area to see it full of our guests.  Two gentlemen would be providing the entertainment for tonight, one on a piano and the other on drums.  The menu was ‘Breakfast Food’, which I should have guessed with all the eggs.  Keith made a sample plate of eggs, one toast and one turkey sausage.  With no desserts, it wasn’t much, but I hoped that the guests would have the salads.  Speaking of which, I asked Marianne if we could consolidate tables so as not to waste the salads and she said that while it was a good idea, they never dictated where the guests should sit.  Well, I tried. 

Tonight's menu
We started with the plating and the servers were off.  No sooner had we done that, than there was a line for seconds.  We could not find any takeout boxes, so it was going to be Aluminum foil for people who wanted to carry the food home.  The second’s line was very long, which was to be expected since the initial portions had been less.  In fact one gentleman came for a third time, trying to hide his earlier package in his pocket.  Well, I was certainly not going to call him out on that.  But, there were some considerate people, like one gentleman who said that after seeing we did not have much, he would not take more than he needed.  We started the clean-up and once again, it was disappointing to see a lot of salad being wasted.  I helped bring in the salt and pepper shakers, folded tables and stacked chairs.  We were done well ahead of the 9 pm end time and I thanked the volunteers for braving the weather and coming.  ‘Breaking Bread’ is having a ‘Valentine’s Day’ dance on Friday and which is open to anyone who wants to attend.  Wilson asked if they required volunteers and they said that it would be appreciated.  I was pretty certain this would show up on ‘Meetup’ by end of the night and have ten's of volunteers signed up before the event.  I thanked Marianne and Keith and left. It was good to have come back after missing a month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment