Zoo Guest Relations Volunteer

Location: Lincoln Park Zoo
Date: Sunday, July 20, 2014; 1:00-5:00 pm

Prior to my shift, I went to get a sandwich for lunch and looking at my uniform, the cashier asked if I worked for the zoo.  The same happened on the bus as a lady said that she and her kids were headed to the zoo and would get down when I did.  I guess I was getting noticed.  I got down at the ‘Farm In The Zoo’ stop and told the lady and her kids to visit that first and then make their way up to the main zoo.  After doing this civic duty, I arrived at the volunteer office and saw that it was Jeremy’s turn today to be our coordinator for the afternoon.  Also present were other volunteers, Rose, Judy and a new recruit, Yitan.  Jeremy went through the pre-shift notes including the upcoming zoo events.  There’s a volunteer breakfast next Saturday at 8:30 am and while I would like to attend, well it depends on whether I want to get out of bed!

"Did you hear, the Macaques are coming"
My first posting was at the ‘West Gate’ and I made my way over there armed with several maps, a radio and a clicker.  I started greeting people coming in and out while handing out the maps at a rapid pace.  Some people were asking for directions to specific animals, the Giraffes being the most popular.  Once again, I heard comments expressing surprise that the zoo was free.  All through my time here there had been construction happening by this gate, in preparation for the Macaque exhibit that was opening soon.  One girl was very interested in that and asked me if we had torn down anything else to make room for that. I responded in the negative, saying that the reason there was construction was because we were creating a natural habitat.  People were friendly as usual and some stopped by ask for directions, not just within the zoo, but also to places like the ‘North Beach’.  All in all, I had over 400 interactions during my hour at this location. 

At 2:30 pm I came back to the volunteer office to return my radio and clicker and then headed to ‘Gateway’ for a long session.  My partner to start off the afternoon was Rose and since it was a nice day, she said that she would stand outside to hand out maps.  A gentleman came in and I asked if he wanted a map.  I then learned that he was Mike, the supervisor of this place.  Well, in my defense he wasn’t wearing the green zoo shirt.  The wheelchairs were in demand and many were stopping by to borrow them.  One gentleman asked if we had a “power chair” and seemed greatly disappointed when I said no.  There were the usual visitors looking for the bathrooms and the maps were disappearing as if containing directions for a buried treasure!  There were phone calls that I had to answer, with people calling to ask about parking rates, zoo closing times etc.  By this time Rose had come back in and at one stage chastised me for speaking over her saying, “You are probably used to working by yourself.”  I can’t say I didn't deserve that.

Judy and Yitan soon replaced Rose for the conclusion of my shift at ‘Gateway’.  Judy seems to be the chief trainer and mentor for new volunteers and today was no exception with Yitan shadowing her.  While they did their usual training, I was handling the front desk by myself.  There were a few members’ appreciation gifts like lunch coolers, blankets etc.; that they could pick up and a few stopped by this afternoon to redeem their gift receipts.  Visitors having a ‘Chicago GoPass’, were entitled to a free ride for their kids on either the carousel or the train in the big courtyard.  I was shown how to scan the pass and then give them their ticket, and there were a few who claimed them.  Other than that there was a minor medical need, some people who stopped by to charge their phones, a report of theft in the parking lot and a person complaining that the ATM wasn’t working and so he couldn't buy things.  But no visitor this afternoon beat a guy who seemed to have had a few too many at lunch and was now looking for directions.  Despite me pointing it out to him, Judy had to walk him to the gates to ensure that he reached the right place.  It had been a typical afternoon and time really flew by till it was 5 pm and the end of my shift.  I left after chatting a bit with Yitan, who is getting a PhD in “Glaciology” or study of glaciers.  Yep, I sure do meet interesting people every day. 

“The views expressed on this weblog are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment