Zoo Guest Relations Volunteer

Location: Lincoln Park Zoo
Date: Sunday, July 27, 2014; 1:00-4:30 pm

A long and winding road for volunteers
Over the last week I had been thinking about my role at the zoo a lot.  While I had enjoyed my time as a ‘GRV’ – all 3 times I had done it - the commitment of having to go week after week was going to take its toll.  I knew exactly what I was getting into but now that it was real, I felt that very soon I would come to resent it.  Volunteering should never be a chore and one of the reasons I like volunteering with Chicago Cares is because it is on my schedule.  I choose the projects.  Sure my duties at ‘Adler’ are recurring, but they are monthly – and I could always opt out every now and then.  But here at the zoo I had to be available every Sunday.  Plus unlike the staff, for whom this was a job, Sunday was a day I usually did my chores.  Moreover, even the volunteer coordinator over the last 3 weekends had been a different person, while I was expected to be there every week.  But still, I knew what I was signing up for and now I had to undo this.  So I arrived early and talked with Tessa – it was her turn today – and she understood where I was coming from.  We agreed that rather than being a ‘GRV’, perhaps a “Special Events Volunteer” was more of what I should do, meaning this could be my last shift.  I would never make it up the chart on the wall honoring seasoned volunteers as they go up a winding road.  These guys had put in hundreds upon hundreds of hours.  And to think I had started less than a month ago.  At the pre-shift meeting Tessa told us about some upcoming events like ‘Bowling for Rhinos’ and another evening Wine tasting event.  Then she gave us a list of all the institutions where we would have free entry as volunteers.  Man, just when I had decided to quit!

Today we had several volunteers in house, including 2 new guys who would be paired with Pat, Rose or Judy.  With two people being trained, it was obvious that ‘Gateway’ would have more than enough people today.  Hence I had just one shift there and it was my first stop.  While Pat trained the new volunteer, I was at the front desk, handing out maps and giving directions to the bathrooms.  The phone was ringing frequently with one lady wanting to reach the vet and I messed it up twice while trying to transfer her call.  Answering phones ain't easy.  People were coming in with membership cards for free gifts and since I had seen how that worked, I was able to serve them in a timely fashion. Same was the case with people who had a ‘Go Pass’, and who got tickets for carousel or train rides.  Towards the end of my shift one woman came and mentioned that her wheelchair had been stolen.  Well, that was a new one.  She said that she had left it outside a building and it was gone when she returned.  We issued a security alert for it, but unless it was recovered, it would be a tricky situation to deal with.  I couldn't wait and see the end of this since I was due at my next stop, which was the ‘West Gate’.

I stationed myself by the gate across the upcoming Macaque’s exhibit and many people did ask about that construction.  My task was mostly greeting people, handing out maps and giving directions, especially families looking to go to the ‘Farm In The Zoo’.  It was quite an uneventful stay there, other than me having to tell some folks not to ride their bikes.  My final stop was near the ‘Wild Things’ gift shop.  Construction had blocked an accessible ramp to the North side of the zoo and so my task was to stand by the stairs next to the gift shop and re-direct the strollers and wheelchairs around the building to another ramp.  Well, in theory this sounds great, but many people did not care and just carried their strollers up the stairs or were carrying it down.  I called Tessa on the radio and requested that another volunteer be placed at the top of the stairs to do the same duty as me for people coming down.  Besides trying to regulate this, I was also handing out maps and - you guessed it - giving directions.  I had to stop someone from rollerblading, though he claimed that he couldn't take them off since he was only wearing socks and had no shoes.  I told him that unfortunately he would have to leave.  Similarly I had to tell another little boy that he couldn't ride his bike and it nearly broke my heart when he looked at me through puppy eyes and said, “But I’m going so slow”
Speaking of kids, one guy looked absolutely horrified when I told him to leave his stroller outside the gift shop.  “But there’s a baby inside”, he said.  I mean how ridiculous does that statement sound.  I almost responded saying that the baby could enjoy a smoke outside while he shopped, but had to politely tell him that babies were allowed inside the store.  Finally, for the first time in 4 weeks, I had to call in a missing kid and Mike, the ‘Gateway’ supervisor came over with a security guard and they spoke with the guardians who had reported it.  These things happen more often than you would think and are almost always resolved immediately.  In my time outside I had recorded over 400 interactions and at 4:30 pm I went back inside to return my stuff.  I had to leave early today and I asked Tessa if this was it for me. She said that they may request one more shift from me next Sunday and then prepare for my transition.  Looks like I will be back one last time. 

“The views expressed on this weblog are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment