Adler After Dark

Location: Adler Planetarium
Date: Thursday, August 21, 2014; 5:00-10:00 pm

Though my soul may set in darkness
It will rise in perfect light
I have loved the stars too fondly
To be fearful of the night
-  Sarah Williams, ‘The Old Astronomer’

The heavens had opened up and despite taking a cab, I was soaked when I arrived.  I was supposed to attend today as a guest, but then decided to volunteer instead, which turned out to be one of the best decisions.  Michael had sent out information ahead of time as usual and this month’s theme was “Space Oddity” featuring of course, David Bowie – well, as an inspiration, not in person.  Michael mentioned that I would be “mentoring” a new volunteer Don.  Wow, I was a veteran now. 

I went up to get pizza and chatted with Carrie for a bit and then Michael showed us our schedule.  From 6:30-8 pm, I would be doing “Golden Record” with Don.  From 8-8:30 pm I would be at the Historical Artifacts section and then from 8:30-10 pm I would be at ‘SVL’, shadowing.  This was good since ‘SVL’ is the most technical place in the museum and having someone who can guide you is helpful.  There were 35 face-masks of David Bowie all over the museum, in places such as behind display cases, as well as Jim Lowell’s statue face! This would be one of the scavenger hunts, where guests would be asked to locate all the faces.   Someone asked Michael if David Bowie was expected to be here and Michael said this was not his usual commute!

Voyager
We went for a tour and the first stop was the ‘Planet Explorer’s’ classroom for the “Golden Record” activity.  The idea was to replicate the metal plaques that are on board ‘Voyager 1’ and ‘Voyager 2’ spacecraft’s.  Launched in 1977, these spacecraft’s have gone further than any other man-made object and are now in interstellar space.  On these records are images and sounds found in nature, as well as music from various cultures, speech and other printed messages.  Assembled by the legendary Carl Sagan, we were now asking people to make their own replica’s – on golden colored card-stock paper – and display it on the community wall inside the classroom.  Then at the end of the evening they could come back and claim them.  As the guests would come in for the activity, we were to ask them, “What message would you sent to the aliens” and then leave them to it.  Also on the wall was a playlist of the one song that they would like to include on the record.

Michael said that there was a ‘Bluetooth’ speaker in case we wanted to play music off our phone and he said that he would demonstrate if his phone’s battery had some juice left.  I said that we would offer our phones, if we were allowed to keep them!  We were asked to surrender our phones during our shift and so this lead to laughter in the group, and Michael joined in as well.  The group left me and Don – my shadow for this activity – to prepare the room for the guests.  Don and I had met during orientation and we set about arranging colored pens and pencils on each table.  At 6:30 pm people started coming in and I would deliver my opening remarks and concluded by saying, “Remember that the aliens may not speak English”.  Everyone was having fun with their designs and we got everything from drawings of houses to drawings of the occult!  There were fart jokes, drawings of people’s favorite things and even messages like, “Come take us”, wherein I said to them, “Be careful what you wish for”.  The song’s list was growing as well and first up was “Imagine” followed by Brittany Spears and even “Here comes the sun” - one of my favorites.  The wall was filling up with plaques and songs when I noticed a girl writing a poem on one of the records.  It was lovely and apt for the surroundings, and I had to ask her about it.  She said that it was a poem called “The Old Astronomer To his Pupil” by Sarah Williams, and the instant I saw it, I knew that it would be one of the most perfect things I would ever read.  We talked about it and I said it would be the wall’s pride to have it up there.  I reminded her to come pick it up at the end of the evening and she said that didn’t need it, at which I asked permission to take it with me.

My next stop was at the Historical artifacts station and my job was to request people to leave their drinks outside the room, since many of the artifacts were over 100 years old.  During a period of slow traffic I went and chatted with Lauren, who was facilitating this program.  She showed me various artifacts, including texts from Galileo’s era.  There was also a spirit lamp, a time piece, a news article and some pictures from mid-19th Century ‘Sun’, which showed that there was life on Moon  - claiming that if God was omnipotent, why wouldn't there be left everywhere.  There was a box which was first displayed in the ‘World’s Fair’, held in Chicago, which claimed to receive light from a star 40 light years away and used it to generate electricity.  I told Lauren that having spent years trying to make photovoltaic devices, this was impossible – unless they were using materials that are now extinct!

My final stop for the evening was in ‘Space Visualization Laboratory’ and I went in to see Dave over at the ‘Microsoft NUIverse’ table, while an 'Astrophysicist' delivered a lecture in the background on 3-D simulations.  People are always fascinated by this table and today was no exception.  As I came in, Dave was telling a group how all of the satellites of ‘Uranus’ are named after a ‘Shakespearean’ character.  As the discussion got interesting, at one stage the lecturer got upset that we were making noise.  Dave left at 9 pm and I took over the guest engagement role.  A couple of guys came over and one of them was actually a telescope volunteer over here and was visiting with his brother.  I told them about the satellites of ‘Uranus’ and hearing ‘Shakespeare’s’ name, two other girls headed over to see what we were doing.  I told everyone that while other planets and satellites were good, I preferred our home planet’s view.  Three girls came and they were from different parts of the country and world and so we zoomed in on the image to find their home location. 

The record on my wall
It was nearing the end, but not before a couple stopped by, and perhaps it was to impress his date, but the guy started asking questions on the curvature of space around the sun.  Alright then, definitely time for me to leave!  The girl who had written the poem on the record visited 'SVL' and as we chatted, I learned that her name was Sam, and she was from Pittsburgh, meaning we could definitely talk for hours.  She asked me directions to the nearest train station and I said that I would walk with her.  I collected the poem that Sam had written and we chatted about Pittsburgh on our way to the station.  It had been an excellent evening, not least because of the wonderful gift that Sam gave me and which occupies a proud spot on my office wall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment