Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, September 03, 2014; 5:45-8:30 pm

I was returning back after several months, but it was a familiar feeling when I entered the kitchen and saw the usual pre-meal rush.  Marianne recognized and greeted me by saying, “My contacts doctor is here”.  I couldn't see Keith anywhere and someone mentioned that he was out getting some last minute items for the dinner.  Galen, who has taken over the leadership of this project arrived soon thereafter and we reminisced how it had just been the previous year that she had come here as a volunteer – when I was leading I might add – and now she was leading herself.  Maybe I had done enough to inspire here!

Back again
There were several volunteers from the ‘Moody Bible Institute’, including a few newcomers.  In the kitchen a couple of volunteers were chopping vegetables for salad and I was directing a volunteer on how to be safe with a knife.  He was doing something which would probably have led to an accident and I told him how to fold his fingers so as to keep them away from the blade.  Hey, watching ‘Food Network’ can be helpful!  Another guy had been tasked with mixing two types of dressing together – creamy and a oil based vinaigrette.  I told him keep tasting so as to ensure there was a balance between the two.  Yeah, another tip I have picked up on the way.  Most of the volunteers were new and so told them – including folks at the fruit station – that we would eventually have to distribute in 21 bowls.  18, Marianne corrected. Wow, things had changed since I was last here.  She said that the clothing room had closed and so their attendance had dropped, leading to them eliminating 3 tables from the dining room. 

While the salads were being prepared, I went outside to distribute water jugs on the tables.  One lady stopped me to chat and asked where I was from.  After I had responded, she said that she was from Puerto Rico.  She wanted to know what the menu was for the evening and I said that I had seen chicken and that was the extent of all I knew.  I told her that the salads would be out soon and that she should enjoy the evening.  I saw that some of the salt shakers were empty and some were just missing.  I asked Keith, who had returned, and he said that this was all that we had.  So I just took some salt from some of the shakers and filled the empty ones.  Even then there were a few tables without any salt and pepper and I told the people sitting there that they would have to share with their neighbors. 

Keith had some people working on rice and had asked them to add 54 cups of water.  But when he came to examine, he saw that the rice was sticky and so said it didn’t have enough water.  The volunteers who had been helping him said that they had added exactly the same amount of water as he wanted them to.  Then we realized that they were not supposed to stir once it was simmering and that was the reason for the rice being the way it was.  I said that it could be like sushi rice, which is not the worst thing…well, with sushi at least.  There was no dessert this evening, meaning that we were almost done, allowing me some time to chat with Marianne as she told me about her upcoming trip to Scotland.

Next, it was time for Keith’s talk and he did his usual welcome for the new volunteers – with occasional playful banter with Marianne.  Then he told us the protocol on welcoming and treating guests, saying that over the last 2 months he has rethought this being a dinner for homeless. He said it was a dinner for the hungry, which could include homeless, substance abusers, people who are broke, or those who just need to decide between paying bills and getting dinner.  This made complete sense to me and was the right way of describing the program.  Marianne then did her bit and finally one of the ‘Moody Bible’ volunteers led us in prayer.  Now it was time for service.  We had bread today and Marianne asked us to arrange it in 18 bread baskets which we distributed on the tables along with salads and juice.  The musical program was on, including a lady giving a rousing performance of ‘Money’, which has been covered by ‘Beatles’ amongst others.  We plated the dinner, which was a Jambalaya type rice dish with chicken and sausages. 

Marianne asked me keep tally of the plates served, including seconds and volunteer meals and so I positioned myself next to the servers as the guests lined up for seconds.  There were no takeout containers and so I asked some volunteers to cut Aluminum foil for people to use for takeout.  One gentleman waited patiently even though it was his first meal, not having come in time for the first service.  One person missed dinner because he had been with the nurse. Marianne said that we must find a way to ensure this does not happen because nothing is more heartbreaking for someone to miss a meal, especially when it may be their only one of the day.  I said maybe we can have a token or something that can be placed on their chair so that we know that we must save a plate for them. 

The cleanup operation started and I went over to help with the chairs and the tables.  Some of the guests helped out as well, which was heartening to see.  One of the guests said that she had lost her cell phone and as much as we wanted to help, we couldn’t find it and there was nothing that we could do.  After clean-up Galen said that we should take a group photo and so we did and I left after that.  It had been a wonderful homecoming for me, for this feels just like that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment