Chicago Cares Goes Caroling

Location: DePaul Student Union & Multiple Locations
Date: Saturday, December 13, 2014; 9:30 am-12:00 pm

It was time once again to lend my singing talents to this project.  I had enjoyed doing this last year and so signed up way ahead of time when I saw this on the calendar.  While at Lakeview Nursing earlier in the week, I learned that it wasn’t on the list of places that we would be visiting and that was a shame.  Unlike last year, when I was running late and had gone straight to the 1st location, I went to the meeting place, which was DePaul Student Union.  After waiting inside for some time I realized that no one else was around and then saw that a group had assembled out on the sidewalk.  I had almost missed out again!  Our Volunteer Leader was chatting with the others and she said that she had just landed at the airport and come straight for this project.  Almost all of the volunteers were wearing holiday gear, including ‘Reindeer Hats’ and ‘Rudolph Nose’.  I had worn my ‘Santa’ hat from last year.  Today was also the “12 Days of Christmas Bar Crawl’ taking place in the neighborhood and so there were many other folks walking about with holiday gear.  The only difference was that they were on their way to get a drink!

Aah 'The 12 Days of Christmas', one of my all time favorites
The bus arrived and not everyone who had signed up was here.  Or maybe they did get here, but joined the other group thinking that the other activity would be more fun.  On our way to the 1st stop I asked our leader if would be getting books, because I surely hadn’t memorized any of the carols.  She said that they would be waiting for us at the senior center that we were headed towards.  As soon as we walked in and were checking-in at the lobby, we could smell bacon.  It seems like the regular Chicago Cares breakfast project was on.  We arranged ourselves in a group and asked for requests.  The residents were certainly enthusiastic and threw out a few options.  We started with ‘Jingle Bells’ and then ‘Silent Night’, which is always interesting, since it required some skill and none of us could have been mistaken for a professional.  We then did ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’, which is always fun, and then someone requested ’12 Days of Christmas’.  I said that it would take forever, but we did it with gusto.  We concluded with the ever difficult, ‘Feliz Navidad’ and then ‘White Christmas’, which always reminds me of Bing Crosby.  The other Chicago Cares volunteers who were serving breakfast cheered us on and we left after ‘We wish you a Merry Christmas’.  On my way out I passed their ‘Fitness Center’ and looked way better than the one in my current building.

Perhaps our leader wasn’t pleased with our performance, because she made us practice on route to our 2nd stop, which had another Chicago Cares breakfast project in progress.  Once again, there were several requests and we performed some of the same carols as before.  This time the residents joined in as well.  Just as we were done, someone mentioned that it was one of the resident’s birthday and so we performed ‘Happy Birthday’ before leaving.  Our final stop was on the Southside, near the ‘White Sox’ stadium.  This time we were digging deep into the book and practicing stuff that I had never heard before.  We arrived in a warm and cozy room where the residents were getting ready for Bingo.  They all looked like Asian immigrants and there were no requests when we solicited some.  Since we had a choice of what to perform, I told my colleagues that we should stick to upbeat carols to get the crowd excited, rather than do the slow songs. In any case, it was as fun as before.

After this set I told the leader that since I lived on the Southside, I would take the train rather than return on the bus with them.  I bid my team goodbye and left after another fun and successful year of caroling.  It may seem trivial to us, but I guarantee that it means a lot to the residents of these places; to have someone come and spread the holiday cheer.  I have said it before and I will say it again, music therapy should be a regular program on Chicago Cares calendar.  The evidence is clearly there for all to see and if we cannot act on it, then we are just making up the numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment