Totally Trivia At The Imperial

Location: The Imperial Nursing Home
Date: Saturday, February 28, 2015; 2:30-3:30 pm

I often wonder why I do not come for this project more often.  Wilson mentioned that today we would be doing “Oscars” and I remembered a similar quiz from 2 years ago.  I arrived on the 5th floor and noticed that the residents had already assembled, and as usual had their wheelchairs arranged in a semicircle.  There were a few volunteers there as well and all of them were first timers.  I told them about the project as we waited for Wilson to arrive.  I took the whiteboard that we use for scoring and placed it in the middle of the room.  I made 3 columns for the 3 teams – the format that we have used in the past – when one lady spoke up and said that there should be just 2 teams and that I should change the board.  She was very firm in her response, telling me that she was in charge!  She also kept asking when Wilson would arrive and her guess was as good as mine.

"Oscars" time
Wilson did arrive soon and said that all of us should introduce ourselves, including the residents.  Some of the residents required coaxing to tell their names.  In fact one guy thought that I was asking him something extremely personal and seemed alarmed.  A few of the residents gave us the names of others who seemed incapable.  The lady who had scolded me earlier regarding the board was Jackie, and she was ready to go as were a couple of other ladies.  Wilson asked the volunteers to spread out amongst the 2 groups and mingle with the residents.  He would be the “Quiz Master” while I would keep the score.  We began questions with “Team A” and Ethel, one of the regulars at Bingo was in that team, while Jackie was in “Team B”.

Wilson started by asking when the “Oscars” began.  Ethel first said 1890s – which was before cinema as we know it even existed.  Some of the other answers were a bit later than the actual year, which was 1927.  The teams got 1 point for the right answer, either for the question posed to them, or if it was passed over from other team.  When “Team A” got a point and “Team B” missed on theirs, I wrote 1 under A and 0 under B.  Jackie immediately scolded me, saying that we should not write 0, but rather wait for the team to score.  Man, she was tough to please!

Wilson asked which was the first “Animated Film” to be nominated for ‘Best Picture’ and “Snow White” was a popular answer, as well as “Toy Story”.  I gave a hint that it was in 1991 and that there was a musical which would be playing in Chicago soon.  But alas, no one got the right answer, “Beauty and the Beast”.  Another question was the first movie to win the ‘Best Picture’ award.  I said that since there were 2 movies that won that year, we would take any of the answers.  Amazingly Ethel knew the answer, which was “Wings”.  The next question was, “Which was the first movie with sound to win the ‘Best Picture’ award?”  The answer of course was “Broadway Melody” and when Wilson presented the choices, someone said that the movie with “Melody” in it should have sound.  Well, the answer was right, but logic was wrong since it was dialogue not necessarily sound, which “Wings” also had.  I asked as a follow-up, which was the only other “silent movie” to win ‘Best Picture’, and they got the answer – “The Artist”

Wilson asked some highly technical questions such as the height and weight of the “Oscars” statue and for some reason expected the residents to know that information, which of course no one did.  Other questions were on multiple nominations and multiple winners.  “Team A” was way ahead of “Team B”, which I am sure was irritating Jackie, though in her defense, the other team had some enthusiastic volunteers who were answering for the seniors.  I posed to “Team B” a question saying that it was tough and if they get it, we could possibly give them more points - so that they catch up.  I said that only once has the last award of the evening not been given for ‘Best Picture’, and was rather given as a ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’.  Wilson asked if it was an American or British actor and I said British, the greatest of them all.  “Team B” did not get it, but “Team A” after some hints correctly answered Chaplin. 

During the game, one of the ladies started saying that she wanted another lady to “get away" from her.  The nurses came and put her away on the other side.  The lady she was referring to was sharp and at one stage she rolled her wheelchair towards me and said, “Watch how they will yell at me”.  Sure enough, the nurse came and took her away.  She looked at me as they did that.  Boy, these folks sure are feisty.  Our hour was up, though the residents were in a mood to continue for a long time.  “Team A” had won handily, but as is the custom here, volunteers distributed cookies and treats to everyone.  Wilson asked recommendations for next month’s theme.  I said that since Jackie likes music maybe we could do “Broadway Musicals”.  I will definitely try and come for that.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment