Totally Trivia At The Imperial


Location: The Imperial Nursing Home
Date: Saturday, February 23, 2013; 2:30-3:30 pm

I had to get to uptown after being beyond the West loop in the morning and a little over an hour to do so.  This meant a quick stop at Starbucks rather than my usual Saturday lunch, which tends to be a bit relaxed.  I had been to Imperial Nursing twice before for Bingo, but never for this event.  The activities room was on a different floor and I arrived with another volunteer Theresa to find all the seniors gathered in their wheelchairs, forming a semi-circle and listening to Simon & Garfunkel.  But that’s all they were doing, sitting still. 

“Hello, darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again”

Listening to ‘Sound of Silence’, in that setting was so chillingly appropriate, that it was a mind numbing sensation.  There was no emotion on their faces, no response to particular note of music or lyric.  They seemed to be waiting, but for whom?  As much as I would like to say it was for us, I do not think it was for anyone.  

“I’m empty and aching and I don’t know why”

The Volunteer leader was none other than our pal Wilson, and in his usual style; he had dispatched a long email. Wilson has a knack of humanizing Chicago Cares programs, something that the short description on the website is unable to do.  I will get to that aspect at the end of this article.  He had gone on to describe the rules and the process of the game with such precision, that any Quiz Master would have been proud.  He told us to make sure that the residents answered the question and that we were required to support and encourage them with praise.  If things were to work out the way Wilson had described, this was going to be a lot of fun.  Irrespective of all of that, our main job was to help the residents through the isolation and loneliness for at least one afternoon.

"I've built walls 
A fortress deep and mighty 
That none may penetrate 
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain 
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain 
I am a rock, I am an island"

The prizes
Soon Brad arrived followed by Fran.  I had met them on multiple projects and we discussed how the afternoon was going to unfold.  Brad is also a volunteer leader for the project and started laying out the prizes on a cart.  The objective was to ensure that everyone left with at least one prize.  There were also some cookies and other treats.  Brad mentioned that we were going to quiz on three categories, ‘Academy Awards’, since tomorrow was Oscar’s night; ‘Black History’, since we were in that month and ‘Romance’, well since its February!  I don’t know about the other two, but having seen all of the ‘Best Picture’ Academy Award winning films, and most of the nominated ones, I liked my chances in that category.

“And I'm one step ahead of the shoe shine 
Two steps away from the county line 
Just trying to keep my customers satisfied 
Satisfied”

Wilson arrived soon after, having just wrapped up another project that morning.  We split the teams into four groups with Fran helping Team A, Theresa with Team B, and me floating from Team's C to D, depending on who had the question.  Brad was the Quiz Master and Wilson was keeping the score and the time.  We started with Academy Awards and to be quite honest, the question completely stumped me.  Fran’s team managed to get the answer though and we moved to Team B and they had Black History Month, which they managed to get as well.  During both of these questions, there was a lot of coaxing from the volunteer team leaders as well as the nursing home assistants, who had joined the game as well.  All of them were truly operating as a team, and it was a brilliant sight.

“Old friends, memory brushes the same years 
Silently sharing the same fears”

For Team C we got a question on “Which actress Winston Churchill proposed marriage too”.  I had no idea but a hint was given that she belonged to Hollywood royalty with multiple generations in films.  From this I guessed that it must have been one of the Barrymore’s and I said that her granddaughter was chased by 'E.T.'  My team got the ‘Barrymore’ part right and the question passed to Team D, which I was heading as well.  Only one of the residents from Team D was participating and even though she was very enthusiastic, her memory was failing her.  The question passed to Team A, and Fran had on her side an elderly lady who was one of the most enthusiastic participants that I have seen.  She kept standing up and giving answers even when it wasn't their turn and Fran and Brad had to keep telling her not to give away the answers.  Wilson did not care much, he was just enjoying himself.

“Slow down, you move too fast 
You got to make the morning last 
Just kicking down the cobble stones 
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.”

For Team D the question was “Who won the best Actress on her debut role in Funny Girl in 1968”. We all knew the answer to be Barbara Streisand and so tried to prompt Team D with various hints ranging from her being a singer, to her having a big nose, but it was to no avail.  Once again Team A swooped in, and in doing so, took a commanding lead.  In the next round Team A got a question on Spencer Tracy and Kate Hepburn’s last movie, which of course is ‘Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner’. The movie is well known for being Spencer Tracy’s last role and the scene between him and Hepburn where he talks about love is one where the lines between cinema and real life are completely erased, because everyone knew about their off-screen relationship.

"And so you see I have come to doubt
 All that I once held as true 
I stand alone without beliefs 
The only truth I know is you"

Since the movie also features Sidney Poitier, this question prompted the enthusiastic lady from that team to jump up and come towards us yelling the answer.  She was totally into it now and Fran was partly laughing and partly trying to control her.  The lady asked us if we knew why she knew the answer.  When we said no, she said that it was because she was once a travelling companion of Sidney Poitier.  Brad asked if she meant assistant and she said travelling companion, whatever that meant.  Hmm.

"Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine"

The quiz continued with questions such as “Best Picture of 2000”, which was ‘Gladiator’, at which I mentioned to Wilson how it was an injustice that ‘Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon’ did not win that year; a movie which I have called ‘subliminal’ at times.  “You do know a lot about movie”, Wilson said and I nodded.  Other questions were Team D getting a simple one on Romance, “Which city is known as city of love”; and despite many prompts from all of us, they could not get ‘Paris’.  A city of love indeed.

“And when you ran to me
Your Cheeks flushed with the night
We walked on frosted fields
Of juniper and lamplight I held your hand”

One funny incident was when a question was asked, “Which movie won Academy Award 20 years after it was made”, and once hint was given that it was Chaplin’s film, I knew the answer.  I hinted that it’s title could be split into two words, first a fruit and next something that was all around us.  Wilson understood immediately, but Fran and Brad were in splits when I told them it was ‘Limelight’.  I mentioned that it was the only film with Chaplin and Buster Keaton, two giants who built Hollywood and the likes of whom this world may never see again. 

“Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio 
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you”

Team D was doing really poorly and part of the problem was me.  Whereas Fran and Theresa were helping their team, I was not speaking up for Team D, even if I knew the answer.  The next question’s answer was ‘Woody Allen’ and I knew it.  I gave them several hints saying he’s from New York, writes, acts and directs etc. When there was no response, Wilson whispered that I should just do it and I gave the answer, which put our team on the board.  I looked at the lady on Team D who had been trying desperately and told her that we had finally scored some points.  The look on her face was something which had made this wait worthwhile.

“Hang on to your hopes, my friend 
That's an easy thing to say
But if your hope should pass away
It's simply pretend 
That you can build them again 
Look around, the grass is high
The fields are ripe, it's the springtime of my life”

The final score
The quiz continued for a total of five rounds and we had a great time, especially for a question where the answer was ‘Laurence Olivier’ winning for ‘Hamlet’, a performance which lived up to the first half of the title!  I said that his wife is also a two time winner for ‘Best Actress’ and nobody knew that he used to be married to Vivian Leigh.  We totaled the score and not surprisingly, Team A had won.  Brad went around offering the prizes to them, but no one was going back empty-handed.  Everyone got to pick, including Team D.  It was never about bragging rights. It was about showing that we care, something more than just a dollar store gift can say.

“Tonight I'll sing my songs again
I'll play the game and pretend
But all my words come back to me 
In shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness in harmony 
I need someone to comfort me”

Wilson and I discussed the Academy Awards coming up on Sunday, especially Ang Lee’s chances as ‘Best Director’, as I was hoping he would win.  We left together and the five of us had really been Chicago Cares ‘All Stars Team’, just due to the programs that we do.  Based on Wilson’s email from the previous day, perhaps it was appropriate that it was us this afternoon.  I will quote him verbatim,
“Totally Trivia is a new program at Chicago Cares, and we are designing a game model that can include and accommodate seniors with mobility and other sensory limitations, and fine tuning it to make it the most entertaining and fun project at Chicago Cares.  The game also helps the seniors exercise memory recall and encourage them to participate in social activities in their community.  It will ultimately help reduce the sense of isolation experienced by many seniors in their daily lives.  Nobody should feel alone in this world.  Your part will be joining the trivia teams in collaborating and answering questions with your seniors, or you can be the Quiz Master or Time and Score keeper.  You will get some amazing conversation with the residents from their life experiences. There are about 36 seniors participating and their average age is 70+. That’s over 2500 years of wisdom and life experiences you can tap into in one room!  Our goal of the trivia game is to help all residents of the nursing home participate regardless of any physical limitation they may have.  So you will see most players on wheel chairs, some have diminished vision, hearing, or speech. Some have limited hand and arm mobility.  But they ALL are capable of playing trivia; all they need is a little help and kindness from us.”  
And he was right.  The residents seem to have gotten used to their solitude for so long that they need people like Wilson… people like us to come in and make them realize that they are as much as part of this world as the rest of us.

“I’m on your side, when times get rough
And friends just can’t be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down”

I was tired at this point, which is typical after a multiple project day.  But what a day, and what great projects these had been.  The exhaustion was only related to the body, not to my spirits. Never have I ever regretted my decision to follow this schedule.

“Away, I'd rather sail away
Like a swan that's here and gone
A man get tied up to the ground
He gives the earth It's saddest sound
It's saddest sound.”

Paul Simon may have written the words to ‘I am a Rock’, but he also wrote something else.  Something that I saw today in a tiny old lady who could barely stand up, but was jumping up out of her chair and answering each question whether it was her turn or not, and whether it was even the right answer or not.  That’s what it is all about.  I prefer to think that the following words apply to the residents, rather than ones in ‘Sound of Silence’

“In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that layed him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame 
I am leaving, I am leaving

But the fighter still remains

No comments:

Post a Comment