Bingo Fun At Britton Budd

Location: Britton/Budd Apartments
Date: Monday, June 08, 2015; 6:15 -7:30 pm

I don’t come here as often as I should, but whenever I do, it feels like I shouldn't have waited for so long.  As soon as I entered the Bingo room, one of the residents greeted me and I said that I would join her as soon as I had finished signing up.  I checked in with Veronica and saw that there was a mother and a minor daughter duo who were volunteering this evening.  The daughter seemed excited to call the game and Veronica said that she could take over sometime during the session.  I went back to sit with the lady and she said that she wanted to win the dishwasher prize, since there was only one of those, followed by a pink water bottle.

Tonight's goodies
Another resident had joined us and we were straining our necks to see some of the other prizes that were out there.  I spotted something at the end of the table that I couldn't recognize and the resident went over to look at it.  She returned back and reported that it was a hair brush.  I also spotted a pink purse that I felt they should go after.  Also available was something that looked like the hooks that people use when they go climbing and I said that it would satisfy their adventure climbing needs!  We were waiting for others to join and I asked if they had been outside. The second resident said that she had, but was then soaked in the rain.  The first lady pointed out a picture of butterflies on the wall and said that it looked pretty.  She went on to say that she loved beauty in the world and I asked if she painted, which she did not. 
She said that she made an excellent ‘cheesecake’ and I asked if it was original or flavored.  She said original of course.  She said that she got fresh strawberries, extracted the juice and poured on top.  I asked if she made the crust and she said no, but people wouldn’t realize.  Not to be left behind, the other lady said that she made good ‘banana pudding’ and I asked if she used boxed vanilla crackers.  She said of course not and that she started from scratch.  All this talk of desserts was certainly making me hungry.

We started the game and a gentleman wearing a hat, whom I knew to be a character, won.  He promptly took the dishwasher thing, saying that he knew that others wanted it!  The lady at my table who wanted that glared at him, mumbling that he took her prize.  Later, when he won again and took the pink water bottle, she said that she was not going to say what she wanted since he was taking all of those things.  We weren't having luck, but after some time I won.  I asked the lady to choose and she picked some microwave safe containers that she said would be perfect for soup.  The others kept winning and I was wondering if the other resident on my table would have her chance.  Thankfully, I won again and asked her to choose and she picked toothpaste; which reminded me that I had to get some for myself.  One gentleman won and everyone says he was the "toilet paper man".  I was puzzled by this, but it became clear when he chose…well, toilet paper.

My buddy Elvina, who was here with her great granddaughter, was having a fantastic night, winning left and right!  At one stage she was asked to give away her prize and she chose the resident with me, who selected some bucket like things.  She said she had no idea what to use them for and I suggested that she should put things in there that she would otherwise misplace.  As I had thought, the hook like things was one of the last items to go.  Veronica said that we would have a final bonus round with 3 prizes going to the winner.  Those were, bathroom roll - in honor of the “toilet paper man” who had suggested this round, - candy and body wash.  Two people won and they split it with the lady taking the roll and the gentleman in the hat taking the other two.  As he left, the lady at my table was still glaring at him for taking her prizes.  I left after chatting with Elvina who said that perhaps I sitting with her in the past was bad since she was on a roll today.  Good to know that I can bring people luck by staying away! 
Chloe and Shane
On my way back, I stopped at Lakeview Nursing to chat with Pearl. She had sent me an email earlier, saying that the injections in her eyes meant that she could see again.  As I went in her room, she said that she had both, good and bad news.  Good news was that she could see, but she had also been denied admission to an assisted living facility due to the wound on her leg.  I said that she was a problem solver and that's what she should do.  I said that now that she could see, she should move to her next hurdle, which was fixing her leg.  She said that she had finally convinced one of her sons to talk to her and saw her grandchildren on‘Skype’. I said that then it had been a great week!  She got emotional saying that it had been a long time since she has had good days.  She showed me some of her earrings and I said that if I found someone that would love to accept these from me, I would buy them all.  I left soon and she said that as always, she had appreciated my visit.  As I passed the ground floor, I saw Fran chatting with Sam who was with Shane and Chloe.  I had not seen them for months since Sam and Jess' baby.  Shane looked old but Chloe was looking great as usual.  It had been a good evening, meeting old friends and making some new ones.
*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment