Serve-A-Thon Leadership Training

Location: Lincoln Perry Apartments
Date: Monday, June 15, 2015; 6:00-7:30 pm

Once again, it was time for ‘Serve-A-Thon’.  I had filled out a survey months ago and requested a Senior Site, upon which I was granted ‘Lincoln Perry Apartments’ with 2 leaders.  Alisa was one of them - for the 3rd straight year - and other was a volunteer named Rita.  After some planning for a date for the on-site training, we were requested to come over to the site on the 15th and Paul from Chicago Cares would be our liaison.  A few days before, Alisa dropped off owing to work and now it was just Rita and I.  On the day of training, the weather turned bad and a flood warning had been issued.  I asked Paul if we were still on and he said yes.  In fact, he offered to pick me up at the train station.

I took the train to ‘Bronzeville’ and as promised, Paul met me there.  We arrived at Lincoln Perry and our site rep was gone for the day.  Paul went and got another gentleman named Mr. Tidwell, who would be helping us on the day off.  He showed us the cabinet with the cooking and bingo supplies, the kitchen, and the room where Chicago Cares would put the food the week of the event.  The other volunteer leader Rita arrived and she seemed to know the residents.  I learned that she is a regular leader at this site, leading ‘Arts and Eats’ on Saturdays, which would make this an easier time for me.

We would be making something like this
The three of us went through the schedule for the day and I was asking several questions as usual.  The main problem was that according to the agenda breakfast was to be served at noon, when the residents are used to eating at 10 am during the usual program.  Besides Breakfast & Bingo, there was another activity, making fleece blankets. I had no idea what that meant, though it sounded like New Life For Old Bags’. I told Paul that while we may not need another leader - since Rita was experienced in this location - we could definitely do with our full complement of volunteers.  We talked about Bingo and I asked Rita about the nature of these people, i.e. if they were competitive.  I also asked about the types of prizes that would they like, because it would make so much sense for Chicago Cares to get those things.  She said that the residents liked the “coverall” game and some big prizes like a giant detergent box would be appreciated as a final prize.  I said that we better get 2, since a coverall game can lead to multiple winners on the same number.  She also said that we should get gift cards from ‘Walmart’ and Paul said that may not be feasible. 

I asked if “Social Media” was going to be big component this year and he said yes.  Plus, we may even get media visit for this site, for which some guidelines would be provided to us.  I brought up some of the issues from previous years, especially with bus not being available at the right time. I said to Paul that my plan was to start the decorations and cooking, while the residents made the fleece blankets.  Later on, after the meal we would play Bingo.  The main difference this year was that there would be no box lunch provided and all of the volunteers would be eating with the residents.  It would be the same breakfast that we were cooking and Paul said that there would be plenty of food to cover that.  Rita said that one of her friends wanted to volunteer at this site - they were opening this up to general volunteers besides just the corporate ones this year - and Paul said that we could make it happen.  While this is great that everyone gets a chance to volunteer, personally I like the corporate volunteers since they are always enthusiastic to participate.  We left with Paul dropping me off at the station and saying that he would see me at the afterparty on the day of the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment