Bingo Fun At Britton Budd

Location: Britton/Budd Apartments
Date: Monday, December 14, 2015; 6:15 -7:30 pm

The place was decorated for the holidays
I always love coming here and today was no exception.  I arrived to see that the entire place had been decked out in Christmas decorations and the lobby which is already quite good to begin with, was looking even better.  I saw my buddy Elvina and she was carrying some mail and packages.  She looked tired and for the first time since I have known her, she looked…old.  I went inside and after signing up with Veronica, I sat down with Elvina and another lady Leslie, who made sure that she got my name right.  She also remembered that I had called the game last time and mentioned that I had been lucky for her.  I said, well then let’s do it again.  I asked for her favorite number and she said that it was 7, whereas Elvina’s was 8, which I knew.  Leslie said that she had read somewhere that 7 signified end of things and 8 was a new beginning.  I had not heard of such a thing, but it did sound fascinating.

Today’s prizes had a distinct holiday theme and one resident lady had even donated a box of festive cookies with a bow on top.  I saw Elvina eyeing those and said that we would win those for her.  Speaking of cookies, Veronica had baked a batch of “Chocolate Chip” cookies for the residents and everyone made a beeline for them.  I told Elvina that I would get one for her and she said that she could go and get it herself!  Leslie kept saying that the cookies were good and Elvina said, “You always see the best in everything”.  Now this could either be the sweetest thing or maybe those cookies were just plain bad!

I asked Elvina how her holiday shopping was going and she said that her daughter had gotten Elvina’s dog Magic a bigger bed.  It seems that Magic had liked the bed when visiting Elvina’s daughter and thus the new present.  I asked what she had gotten for her kids and she said that she had bought the same thing for her 4 daughters and 1 son – fluffy socks.  Leslie said she gotten some “Fleece” pants and underwear for herself.  Okay then.  The game started and a couple of people won, with Elvina watching closely if they would take the cookies; looking pleased when they didn't.  Then I won at the same time as another resident and I told Elvina to go get it.  She rushed forward to grab the cookies so fast that it would put younger people to shame. Yeah, that thing about her seeming old was premature.

I was on a roll and won the next round in record time, with the first 5 numbers on my board.  I asked Leslie to pick and she got a “Bodywash”.  Elvina won again and picked something that looked like “Cookie cans”.  There were 2 of them and she said that she would give them to each of her great grandkids.  I told her not to forget to insert some candies in them.  Veronica asked if anyone else wanted to call and I said that since Leslie had called me lucky for her, I would do so.  I called the next couple of rounds and poor Leslie did not win, though Elvina did again and picked up a small pouch like thing, which she then returned for something else.

After a few rounds, I was replaced by another volunteer and then sat next to the lady who always translates each number in Spanish for others.  She’s a nice lady and smiled whenever I pointed out that she had missed a number.  She had picked a nice Christmas themed towel and I complimented her on that.  I asked if she would use it as a towel and she said no and neither should her husband, since she wanted it for decorations.  There were a few others who had not won even once and Veronica ensured that they all got something before the end.  The last game was a jackpot round with 4 prizes and the first winner would take all, which made it high stakes.  One gentleman won them and then it was time to go.  Veronica asked if I wanted to be a leader for this and I declined, saying that I usually go to “Pet Therapy” on Monday’s.  I bid Elvina happy holidays and left after a fun evening. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment