Lakeview Seniors Pet Therapy

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, November 16, 2015; 6:15-7:45 pm

The fluffy Mickey
I had cancelled the last couple of times that I had signed-up due to work, but was determined to show up this evening.  I walked in and saw that Charta was there along with her owner Elaine, as well as an excitable fluffy ‘Maltese’ named Mickey.  I went inside the Bingo room and saw that Jim was there along with some other regulars, though there was no sign of Emma, Jack and Larry.  Jim mentioned that both Jack and Larry were not doing too well, especially Larry.  He said that our old friend Gwyn had come last week to celebrate Lee's birthday.  It seems like yesterday that we were doing the same and it had been one year.  I mentioned to Jim that I missed that project.  It was my first one with Chicago Cares and would always have a special place in my heart. 

Emma came in and she seemed half asleep, though she said that she was fine when I asked her.  I went back to the other room and it was getting full.  Besides our Volunteer leader Robyn with Bruce and June, there were other 2 other ‘Maltese’s’, all males and with Mickey, the 3 dogs looked like brothers!  I took charge of June and we went over to get treats from Joe.  Bruce found his way there as well - talk about his smell - and both of them had their fill of the treats.  I went outside to wait with Bruce and June and noticed that they had posted all residents birthdays for the month of November. I noticed that Emma's was tomorrow and I pointed it out to others, wondering how old she was. 

As usual, I was going to be with June, Robyn and Bruce.  We started on the 1st floor and stopped over to see a lady who looked at us skeptically.  But Robyn was doing a great job of engaging her and we learned that it was just her second day here and so had no clue on what was happening. I saw a small glass ornament which had been colored and we learned that it was from her 3 year old daughter.  She opened up a bit with us and we chatted for some time before moving on.  That was it for this floor and we moved on upstairs and met with Loritta.  I asked how she was doing and she pointed to her bed and shrugged.  I told her that I was going to Atlanta, the land of her son.  She asked me why and I responded that unlike him, it wasn’t for a woman!  Robyn and I noticed a kitten valentine card on top of her bed and since it had no name, I said that Loritta had a secret admirer.  “Then why isn’t he in the bed with me”, she asked.  I couldn’t stop laughing and was doing so as we left.

We stopped to see Polly and rather than her usual exuberant self, she seemed tired and was incoherent.  Her roommate Dena looked aged and tired as well.  Polly seems to have aged quite a bit over the last few weeks and it was noticeable in the way she spoke, though she was still as sharp as ever.  She asked when I would come back and I said not for a couple of weeks.  She said she would send the dogs to find me and I said fair enough.  We stopped at another place on the 2nd floor and met with a new lady.  She asked my name and made sure that she pronounced it right…and made sure we pronounced hers right as well.  She loves dogs and will be a permanent fixture on our visits.  Next, we went to see if David was still here and finally after saying that he would for all these years, he really has left – which was bittersweet for us.

We went to the 3rd floor to see Jerry and Charta was already there, planted on his bed.  We waited for her to leave before putting June and Bruce on his bed, where they got some treats and then stared at the rest of them while we chatted.  Poor things were getting tired and also drinking a lot of water.  But we couldn’t leave without seeing Hannah.  We asked about her book and she showed us a rejection letter from one of the publishers.  But she also promised to keep fighting.  She said she was a ‘Gemini’ and so always tried to convince others that she was right.  I said that I was a ‘Gemini’ too, and so empathized with her.  When Robyn said that Hannah’s hair looked nice and better than hers, Hannah said that Robyn looked great no matter what.  When Robyn said no, I said don’t argue since Hannah was after all a ‘Gemini’ and would win the argument.  Hannah said that her old roommate Linda had gone somewhere and she didn’t know where.  We said that it must be for a procedure since her name was still on her room…at least I hoped so.  It was time for the pups to leave and I bid them farewell.  I saw that Emma was still looking sleepy and before I could wish her for birthday, Fran took her upstairs.  Until next time then.  And I better come soon; else Polly would set the dogs on me! 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment