Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, October 05, 2016; 5:45-8:15 pm

I arrived and saw that the printed menu had a “Jack-o-lantern” picture, it being October and all, though nothing on the menu looked “Fall related”.  Marianne was back from her vacation in France and in similar good spirits as last month.  After I had washed up, she assigned me to opening cans of corn.  While some of them needed the big industrial can opener, many had a tab that you could just pull open.  Marianne was helping me drain the corn and took this opportunity to tell me about some of her meals while in France and also threw in a joke – “Why did a snail have a ‘S’ pained on the side of his car – Because he wanted people to see a (e)’s’cargo(t)”.  Ugh

Marianne's "present"
As I finished opening the cans, Chef Dan came and asked me to separate the corn that we had collected into 3 pans and then insert in  the steamer for 10 minutes.  As the corn was steaming, Chef told me to sauté some onions, tomatoes and peppers, till translucent, and then add them to a pot having "creamed corn".  Once the corn was steamed, I put it in 2 “4 inch pans” and added ladles of the "creamed corn" on them.  Chef Dan then came and added his spices and after I had mixed them in, he asked me to have a taste.  “Needs a bit of salt”, I said and he agreed.  We added some more, I mixed and then put them in the warmers outside.  Chef called all the volunteers together and presented Marianne with a chocolate block that was shaped like a man wearing swimming trunks.  Hold on.  What have I missed over the last month?

I saw the guest who I knew and went and chatted with him for a bit, discussing the menu for the evening.  Tonight’s we were serving salad with “French dressing”, “Sloppy Joe’s” – a large amount of meat was being cooked on the grill – with Corn, Roasted potatoes and topped off by pickle slices.  Also, I had seen bacon being cooked, as well as apples being caramelized, and learned that for dessert, there was vanilla ice cream topped with apples and bacon.  What!  I helped another volunteer scoop out the ice cream from the big tubs into individual cups and then we put them inside the freezer.  As we went in, I mentioned to her that we wouldn’t last too long if the door to the freezer were to lock behind us.  She said that she would!  We had 4 new people today and so Marianne gave her speech.  She talked about the past 14 years and how sometimes people would leave for a few years and come back.  She said it was pleasing to see them return to the “family”.  I am not too sure about that.  Wouldn’t we want them to leave and hope that their circumstances had improved enough for them to stay away? 

I took the assignment of plating, though many were interested in that and Marianne over allocated that task.  She also requested that I refill the juice as the servers brought back empty jugs.  We had a few bottles of grape juice and a bottle of cranberry concentrate.  We lined up and because there were a lot of people plating, I wasn’t required to do much besides just top off the plate with 2 pickle slices, besides the juice refilling.  We had a big crowd in today and were busy. Once the firsts were done, I took over the tallying duty for the seconds as well as the volunteer meals.  We had lot of demand for seconds and eventually ran out of food, having to turn away a few.  At one stage a woman wanted to add salad to her takeout container and I was too quick to put it in, causing her to glare at me since I had mixed the salad with the “sloppy joe”.  Totally my fault!  I helped stack all the chairs and wheel them inside, being pretty tired at the end.  I said goodbye to Marianne and mentioned that I would try and stop by for the "volunteer breakfast" this Saturday where they thank us for our service.

No comments:

Post a Comment