Make-A-Wish Children’s Hospital Festival Of Thanksgiving

Location: UIC Student Center
Date: Saturday, November 19, 2016; 10:30 am-2:00 pm

Another "Thanksgiving" at 'UIC'
After attending 3 years in a row, I had missed the event last year owing to my travels, but I was on the lookout for this and signed up as soon as it opened up.  I was looking forward to seeing everyone again, not least Olivia.  We got an email with the project description and the only thing that we were making was a “Thanksgiving Wreath”.  As usual it was cold – it always is when I’m going for this one – and as usual, I got lost after getting off the “Pink Line”.  I arrived at the hall and it was busy with people setting up for the event.  I found the MAW table and saw that another volunteer was already there, a young man named Jake.  He showed me the bag that MAW had dropped off and all it had was the “Giveaway’s” for the kids.  I said that there should be another bag with the activity supplies, as well as a tablecloth – there is always a tablecloth.  I asked one of the organizers and after looking around for a bit, we located the bag, just as 2 of our fellow volunteers – Kristin and Marissa – arrived.

What we were making
As we set up the table, I told Jake and Kristin about the project – Marissa had done it last year – and how I look forward to it every year.  Just as I was telling them that, Dr. Schmidt stopped by to say hello and I mentioned to her how I was hoping to see Olivia.  We were cutting out the leaves on the paper templates that had been provided, and some of them were quite complex.  It would take the kids a long time to trim; in fact it was taking me a long time as well, especially maple leaves.  Kids had started coming in and we got Brodie, who I had seen before and his brother.  Brodie is a nice kid who is very respectful, and he was coloring his leaves thoughtfully. He had blue color on his lips, as did his brother, and after some investigating I learnt that ‘Dunkin Donuts’ was here, inviting kids to decorate donuts and eat them.  It seems like all the kids were choosing blue coloring.

Finally I saw Olivia, who is now 5 years old.  She is in Kindergarten and has 2 of her front teeth missing.  I showed her a picture of herself from 4years ago and talked to her mom about how she has grown up.  I also saw several other kids that I know, including Evelyn and Stephen – the most well-dressed gentleman at this event each year.  Everyone was either coloring leaves for a wreath or coloring a Turkey, which was our other activity.  There was a dance troupe from “Joffrey” and they performed a routine, following which they asked all the parents and kids to join them on the floor.  Everyone did so – including Dr. Schmidt – and for the next several minutes there was a lot of fun as they were taught steps and eventually led into a dance. 

It was a party
The lunch was being served and so a huge line formed, also meaning that we were less busy.  It allowed us to chat, cut more leaves or in my case, walk around to see other groups.  I saw the usual suspects and most were doing similar activities as previous years.  We took turns to get lunch, since kids were still coming over.  One kid in particular bonded with Jake since the kid was wearing a “Batman” shirt and Jake was asking him questions on “Superheroes”.  We were trying to give away the gift packs, but there were a lot of them.  Finally, I told Jake to just take the box and leave it at the entrance for people to pick up on their way out.  We cleaned up quite fast and left at 2 pm, another successful year in the books.  I was already looking forward to next year and seeing Olivia again.

No comments:

Post a Comment