Paint the Town Red


Location: H.O.M.E. – Pat Crowley House
Date: Sunday, March 24, 2013; 2:30-4:30 pm

The egg, before I began
If I have said it before, I will say it again.  This is one of my favorite projects with Chicago Cares and I arrived in the cozy dining room just as Wilson was transferring his stuff inside.  Noel arrived soon thereafter and we asked Wilson if we were decorating Easter Eggs.  He said we were not just doing any ordinary eggs, but were going to be making something similar to ‘Faberge Egg’.  My experience with those has always been through some heist movie where they get stolen after an elaborate plan by thieves.  Wilson showed us some examples on his computer screen, which looked way beyond any skills I may ever possess and then showed some examples that he had made using plastic eggs; and which still looked beyond my capabilities.  However, I had done enough of these projects to give this a shot and Wilson had brought with him loads of decorative materials, which would make this a fun activity.

The residents in attendance were Cynthia, Jane and Annabelle, and all of them choose to make decorative cards instead; as did Noel.  Cynthia was in fact making a big card to thank a school who had donated books for the residents.  Wilson mentioned that this school was one of the richest private schools in Chicagoland, though I am sure they would appreciate a hand-made thank you card.  I picked a white egg with pink hearts on it because, well…it’s me.  I had no idea of the concept I was going for, though there was a brilliant silver and golden sparkling tape that I wanted to use.  I started on the egg with trepidation, though with the tape and some shiny gems, it was looking a bit more festive.  Wilson said that I should take my time since Faberge usually spends one year per egg and has lots of skilled artisans help.  I said that those artisans may be skilled, but could not be as good a company as we had.

Cynthia's card
Speaking of good company, we were having great conversations as usual.  I asked Cynthia about the books she had received from the school and she said that she reads everything.  She talked about reading Kipling amongst other authors.  Annabelle had told us about her eye problems the last time we were here, and mentioned that she only does audio books because of that.  One of the best audio books that I have ever listened to is Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s ‘Shadow Of The Wind’.  Listening to it being read to you in a Spanish accent, and with original music in the background is an experience that I hope every book lover gets to have.  I mentioned to Annabelle that she should try and get this audio book from the library. 


Cynthia mentioned that she used to be a lawyers assistant.  I asked if she ever wanted to become a lawyer herself and she said no, because she lacked the “Fighting ability” that the lawyers require.  She only wants to do what’s right, but did not possess the ‘killer instinct’.  She said that even then she had a good run and in fact her boss had told her that she was the best assistant he ever had.  Cynthia said that she had very few regrets in life.  I said show me a person who says they have no regrets in life and I will show you a lair.  This led to another discussion amongst us, on whether we would live this life the same way again.  I said that since I have already lived this once, why not try living it a different way. 

And Noel's beautiful butterfly
All of this philosophical discussion was not stopping our progress on either the cards or my egg.  I was amazed at how it was turning out, for it really looked nice.  Noel had created a butterfly using some paint and it was just outstanding.  All of us thought that it was probably the best thing that we had seen that day.  In the meanwhile, the great conversations continued.  We talked about ‘Earth Day’ and I mentioned that I had followed the ‘Earth Hour’ the previous evening by turning off my lights for an hour.  I said that I had been careful to not even open my refrigerator door, so as to not turn the light on.  At this, Wilson said that he had switched off his refrigerator 3 years ago!  I should know by this time that nothing about Wilson is surprising, but he had managed to do it again. 

My egg, completed
At this stage, Andrew joined us with his sketchbook and I noticed that this time he had even more sketches of beautiful women.  Remembering our conversation from last time, I asked him if he had spoken to Dorothy recently and before he could respond, Cynthia said “Of course”.  This was wonderful, since it established the camaraderie that the residents had between them.  In fact, I have seen that  friendship amongst the folks here, much more than any other senior resident place that I have been to.  When I asked Andrew what he and Dorothy had talked about, he replied “She comforts me”. Well, there wasn't much to add to this.

Wilson mentioned to others that I do work with Make-A-Wish and One Brick.  He asked me about my work and how I find time to do all the volunteering with a full-time job.  I said that while I may not be doing my career any favors with my schedule, I had made a decision long time ago that I would choose ‘life’ over career.  Jane agreed with me saying that life is the most important thing and at the end, only regret is not spending enough time with friends. 

Alongside Wilson's other eggs
On this note we wrapped up our activity for the day and everyone, including me, had done a great job with their projects.  I was pleased with my egg and Wilson had even made a crown for it.  When I put it next to the samples he had brought with him, it looked like it belonged.  Noel’s cards were not dry yet and she decided to leave them behind, collecting them during the next session.  Wilson asked her to leave them on top of a cupboard, saying “I have some things hidden here”, whatever that meant!  I asked Wilson what our next project was and jokingly said it could be making a ship in a bottle or writing a letter on a grain of sand.  As Wilson actually contemplated this, Noel pleaded with me not to give him such incredible ideas.

We helped Wilson put all the stuff in his car and it was as full as usual.  Once again, it had been a memorable afternoon and my appreciation for this project continues to grow.  Both, Cynthia and Jane thanked us profusely for coming and Andrew once again said, “God bless you”.  I was once asked by someone if I ever felt scared, going to all the remote places in the city for a project.  Some of the neighborhoods I have been to are pretty rough. Even then, I have never, for a minute, worried about this aspect.  With all the good wishes and blessings that I continue to hear from people like Cynthia and Andrew, I firmly believe that I have my own Clarence looking down upon me.  

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment