Arts and Eats

Location: Flannery Apartments
Date: Wednesday, December 19, 2012; 6:15-7:30 pm

The day before, I had received an email from Chicago Cares saying that our usual leader Alice was under the weather, and asking if I could lead instead. Since I had a commitment till right before the event, I said that I may be unable to purchase the various supplies that were needed for the evening, though I was more than happy to lead once at the facility.  Fortunately, another volunteer offered to take over the responsibility and all I had to do was show up.

The City from Flannery Apartments
I arrived there and found that our usual meeting room was locked.  I was directed towards the 16th floor and the community room over there.  Two of the ladies whom I had met during my first visit, Anna and Sandra, were already waiting for us.  Ian, who had taken over the leadership duties for the evening was running late.  I chatted with the ladies and learned that Sandra had two doctor’s appointments the next day and was hoping that her husband would be able to drive her there, especially since he was prone to frustrations while driving, bordering on road rage.  We were laughing about it and I noticed that the room that we were in had giant windows overlooking the city.  In fact, there was a terrace and I went outside to see the city like never before.  I told the ladies that if I lived there, I would spend all my time in that room or outside looking at the city. 

This is what I started with
Ian arrived and apologized for his tardiness.  He worked in the suburbs and had to stop to buy supplies.  I suddenly felt slightly ashamed at having declined to lead because of my work, whereas here was someone who had probably struggled through traffic to get here on time and stop for buying the materials we would be using.  That evening we would be decorating jewelry boxes, something that the ladies had done recently, but enjoyed a lot.  Ian had purchased wooden boxes, plenty of colors, glue and some buttons and sparkles.  Sandra went back to her apartment and bought some of her own private stock.  One of the other residents Sally, arrived and started on her box.  Then something possessed me like never before and I attacked my box with a maniacal zeal. 

And this is what I made
I started with a blue wash on the top and drew brown stripes on the front and sides.  This was followed by green edges and another coat of blue for insides of the drawer.  I used brushes of different thickness and whatever container I could find to hold the colors.  I had hoped to do two boxes and give one each to two of my friends, but could only finish one in allocated time.  So I choose one and wrote their initials inside the drawer.  Then I stuck some stickers on the top and wrapped the box in some paper since the paint was not fully dry yet.  Others had done a fantastic job with their boxes and I especially liked Sandra's who had just used a clear coat to give her box a very polished look.  During our paint session we had also learned a something about our companions.  Ian had innocently asked the ladies if they had any kids and both, Anna and Sandra, had lost their babies long time ago.  While it was extremely sad, what amazed me was the matter-of-fact way in which they said it, as if they were immune to it.  I wondered if that was what had led them to this place.  Sandra said that doing Arts and Crafts activities such as these was a therapy session.  No matter how they said it, the pain was still there.

Just before leaving the ladies joked that there was no ‘Eats’ component to our gathering that night.  Ian apologized sheepishly, but they had enjoyed our session nevertheless.  I helped Ian clean-up and then left for home.  The next day I gave the box to my friend, who greatly appreciated it.  I was surprised at the transformation that I had undergone.  From my first session where I did not want to participate, to last night where I couldn't get enough of painting jewelry boxes, it has been a remarkable journey.  I doubt if any of my colleagues had spent the previous evening with such interesting women and doing such an activity.  They have no idea what they are missing.


*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment