Just for Starters Imperial Bingo


Location: The Imperial Nursing Home
Date: Thursday, January 3, 2013; 6:30-7:45 pm

In all of my thirty…well let’s just say I have been on this planet for many years.  In all this time, I had never played Bingo.  There, I said it.  This meant that I had to take last minute Bingo lessons before the event.  My friends at work were amused when I asked questions.  Jen in Pittsburgh even sent me several links on Bingo, and armed with this knowledge, I arrived at The Imperial Nursing Home. 

The first thing I noticed about Imperial Nursing Home was its décor.  The lobby waiting area looked sophisticated and even the corridors were different.  They had a unique Parisian setting and it was confirmed that Paris was indeed the theme that they were going for.  This was quite unlike the Lakeview Nursing facility, which had a more traditional setting. 

I met with Sarah, our Volunteer Leader and mentioned that I had never played Bingo before.  She said it is the easiest thing in the world and then asked if I wanted to call out the numbers.  I said that due to my lack of experience, I should probably decline that, and which meant that I would be playing alongside the residents. The idea was to let them play and ensure that they do not miss a number, help them call out Bingo when they achieved it, and under no circumstances were we - the volunteers - to ever ‘win’.  At this stage I was also introduced to another enthusiastic volunteer, Wilson Chow.  Remember that name, Wilson; it is going to show up a lot in this blog.

The Parisian Setting
Sarah seemed to be an extremely friendly person.  This was emphasized by the banter she had with one of the residents, Gavin.  They were going at it non-stop, and it was evident that Sarah was much beloved at the Imperial Nursing Home.  We went inside to the community room where all the residents were ready to play.  Sarah assigned me a table with 2 women, Penny and Cathy.  I introduced myself to them and even complimented Cathy on her jewelry, particularly her rings.  We started playing and my job was to look at Penny and Cathy’s boards and see that they were paying attention and not missing out on any of the numbers.  I was also paying attention to my own board, though I might as well have given up since my luck was lousy that evening.  After a couple of games, we were joined by another resident.  I asked her name and she said it was Jackie. As we continued playing, nobody on our table was winning and Sarah was handing out all of the good prizes. Finally Penny won, not just once, but back-to-back.  Sarah came to offer her prizes and Penny selected a Body Lotion and Sugar-free candy.  The reason she did it was because Jackie asked her to and to my immense surprise and pleasure, Penny handed her candy to Jackie.  Soon Sarah was out of gifts and the game was over.

All the volunteers said goodbye and left, but I saw Wilson helping some residents in wheelchairs up to the elevators and to their floors.  I joined him and it was a challenge getting people inside and making sure the people on a certain floor are in the right spot on the elevator. With some adjustments we managed that, and once everyone was taken care of, I left.  I contemplated how the day had started with me having no idea was Bingo was, to this evening where I had a great time and was now a big fan.  This is what volunteering with Chicago Cares has been about for me.  People think that by helping people I am doing a great service for those in need.  What they do not realize is that Chicago Cares helps me a lot as well.  It makes me a better man.  Yes, I have said that before, but I am proud to repeat it again. 

There is a small story which I want to add here.  It is silly, but somehow it seems appropriate.  Prior to this, I had never considered myself a very helpful person in social situations.  As I was walking back that evening, I passed by the AMC cinema’s near my apartment.  I saw a young woman trying to open the door, but for whatever reason, she was unable to do so.  At that precise moment, our eyes met, I saw the helplessness and in a grand manner, I opened the door for her.  We both smiled and I waved her to her cab.  It was a small gesture, but the moment felt right and I am not sure I would have done it with so much enthusiasm 4 months ago.  Right then I knew it was going to be a great new year. 


*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment