More Organizing Fun At Night Ministry!

Location: Night Ministry
Date: Monday, June 17, 2013; 6:00-8:30 pm

This was my first One Brick project as an Event Coordinator.  I referred to my EC Checklist the previous day to ensure that I do everything that an EC is supposed to do prior to an event.  One of those duties was selecting a place to go to afterwards and communicating with the EM.  After some search via Google Maps, I identified a place nearby and let Kinga, the EM know.  I also set a reminder alarm for myself so as to carry my One Brick pad, name tags and also a printout of the sign-up sheet.  With all of these things in hand, I arrived at the location well before 5:30 pm, but most of the volunteers were already there.  Kinga had printed her own sign-up sheet and people had already started signing on it.  Some of the volunteers were first timers and as per the checklist that I had been given, I was supposed to get them to put down their phone numbers on the sheet.  When I requested that of them, one of the regulars, said that this was a sneaky way for me to get their phone numbers.  I said this was a One Brick requirement and was told that it wasn’t anymore.  Well, would have been nice if someone had told me earlier, but anyways.  This was only the beginning of the evening and plenty of time left for me to practice my EC skills.

Who knew these could be precious
This evening we would be sorting travel sized soaps, shampoos and all of those tiny toiletries that one finds in a hotel bathroom.  These are then either donated to the homeless, or to various residents on Night Ministry shelters. Our job was to sort these into the two categories and also throw away anything that was less than half full.  But before we could sort, the items had to be carried from the storage room, to the main sorting room where all of us were assembled.  Some of these containers were quite heavy and since another volunteer Matt and I were the only men there, Kinga was looking at us to do most of the lifting.  But to their credit, the women volunteers did their bit as well and soon all of the heavy boxes were outside and sorting could begin. 

The 'Sorting Crew'
In terms of the soaps, the large soaps were to be kept for Night Ministry shelters, while the smaller and medium sized ones were to be donated, along with feminine soaps.  Now, the size was a subjective call, as was what constitutes a feminine soap? Was it fragrance, packaging? We were told that it would “look nicer” with some fancy packaging.  Well, we started doing that and I started mingling about with the volunteers, taking pictures.  Once again, the volunteer who had reprimanded me for asking for numbers had a problem with that I should take “less pictures and do more work, since none of us here is an Executive”.  Well, looks like I should just throw away the EC checklist since nothing on it was making sense now.  Now, let me quote from the EM Checklist Section on 'Day of AND during the event', subsection 'Recruit for after-party and make sure everyone's having fun': "You're not a volunteer - you're coordinating".  It's in italics while the rest of the paragraph is not, meaning it's important.  So that’s what I was doing.  While I can understand that perhaps I should interpret these rules as per the situation and when there is lot of work to be done – as was the case this evening – I should be a more active participant.  However, my problem was in the way this was said to me, and by someone who is a member of One Brick leadership team themselves.  This is not something that needed to be said in front of other volunteers, least of all new ones.  This communicates a wrong message that One Brick EM and EC’s take advantage of volunteers and also portrays me as being lazy and participating in volunteer events without an active contribution.  To that point, I would love to someday compare notes with this volunteer on what our contributions have been in the community.

The boxes for pick-up
I jumped right back in and started sorting, just as I got a call from Wilson, who was downstairs and needed to come up.  As I let him in and we walked upstairs, I told him what had happened and he said not to worry and we should discuss later.  I rejoined my sorting crew and we were almost done with the soaps.  Next, we moved to sorting shampoos, conditioners and bath gels.  As we sorted through those, we found that there were a lot many conditioners than shampoos and that these bottles were greasy.  Our hands were sticky and I mentioned to Matt that I have never looked forward to washing my hands more than today!  After sorting through some other random hair products, Matt and I piled the boxes that were going to be distributed onto a cart and moved them downstairs.  There were two different destinations and we did our best to separate them evenly.  Then we moved the stuff that was staying back inside into the storage room and were then ready to leave.

Some of us went to a bar ‘O’Shaunessey’ afterwards to socialize.  I learned that Kinga and two other One Brick regulars were on their way to Oklahoma to participate in relief efforts.  Since they were driving, discussion turned to merits of technology such as GPS, something that Wilson favors a lot.  I suspect if it were up to him, he would have people use GPS within their apartment!  I remember the days of carrying big road atlases and maps and we found our way just OK.  Having said that, I am always for technology and so you wouldn't find me arguing too much.  I chatted with one of the new volunteers Coleen and she wanted to know more about other opportunities. I told her about what One Brick has to offer, and also brought up Chicago Cares, at which some eyebrows were raised.  Once again, I fail to understand this competitiveness when the overall mission is the same.  But, I had got into enough arguments this evening to start a new one. 

As Wilson dropped me home, we discussed the situation from earlier this evening.  He told me that I was not in the wrong and rather than dwell too much, take it up with the volunteer in question and discuss what could be done better.  However, the last thing I want is for us to lose track of what One Brick does and get into a baseless quarrel.  Tonight was about doing something important.  Irrespective of how we felt towards each other, we were here for a reason.  According to the description on One Brick website, “The Night Ministry was created out of diverse religious traditions to build relationships with vulnerable youth and adults on the nighttime streets.  Through these relationships and the provision of housing, health, outreach, spiritual, and social services, the organization seeks to empower people of all ages to meet their own needs.  Recognizing the uniqueness, dignity, and value of each person, the Night Ministry accepts individuals as they are, in an affirming and compassionate manner.  The Night Ministry is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, non-denominational organization serving youth and adults in need - regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or social status.  Those served include homeless youth and adults, uninsured/underinsured individuals seeking medical assistance, working poor adults, the chronically lonely, children who need a safe place to gather, and others in need”.  It puts everything else into perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment