Pour Beer At The Living Social Craft Beer Festival

Location: Lincoln Park Zoo
Date: Saturday, June 15, 2013; 6:00-11:00 pm

I took a cab from the Daley Plaza to Lincoln Park Zoo to participate in this One Brick event where we would be pouring beer.  There was a mandatory training session the previous Thursday where we were required to dial into a conference call with the organizers.  We learned what our roles and responsibilities were going to be and it really was just pouring beer up to the pour line and checking off the visitor’s card.  Once they had reached their limit of 13 pours, we were to refuse them additional pours.  It seemed straightforward enough.  I asked Wilson who we were benefiting through this event and he said it was the Lincoln Park Zoo.  According to The One Brick website, “A diversity of wildlife, scenic gardens and daily education programs draws millions of visitors annually to Lincoln Park Zoo. For more than a century, the zoo has remained open and free every day of the year. Located on 35 acres along Chicago's lakefront, Lincoln Park Zoo is more than a recreational resource, is an international leader in wildlife conservation and education.”  I could live with that.

I arrived at the zoo and met up with Wilson and Polly as well as some of the other that I knew like Heather and Rich.  There were a few newcomers and Polly said that I should practice my EC skills by giving them the One Brick spiel.  There were approximately 56 vendors participating and spread over 4 zones.  I was assigned Zone 4 and the ‘Blue Moon’ booth.  Now, let’s face it.  There were several unique micro-brewers here.  If the entry ticket allowed you only 13 samples, I would hate to use on something I can get at my local gas station.  Besides One Brick, there were other volunteers as well, including a couple who had been assigned to Zone 4.  Unfortunately for them, while she had been assigned to ‘Blue Moon’ booth with me, he was going to be with ‘Angry Orchard’.  They asked if he could exchange with me so that they could be together.  I did not mind either ways, and so exchanged my assignment with him. 

View from my booth
I was directed to my location, which was inside an enclosed area, with a view of a pond and a musical stage.  I met Frank, who was the representative of ‘Boston Brewing Company’, who owns the ‘Angry Orchard’ brand besides their most popular one, ‘Sam Adams’.  Next to us was another ‘Boston Brewing Company’ brand, ‘Tenacious Traveler’ and on point there was Lindsey.  I joked that we three were perhaps the only people in the park rooting for ‘Bruins’ that night against the ‘Blackhawks’.  I asked Frank how the evening would go and he said that unlike most of the vendors there, we did not have draught option.  We would be pouring straight from the bottle and for tonight, there were two options – ‘Apple Crisp’ and ‘Apple Ginger’.  Once the folks came with their glass, I was to ask which one they wanted and then pour up to the mark.  There were plenty of bottles in the cooler and several cases in the back.  However, since the organizers had told us that there were only 13 pours, I wasn’t sure if anyone would want to waste that on a cider.  I mean come-on.  It’s a cider.  Boy was I mistaken!

Angry Orchard options
The initial wave wasn’t that bad and I was glad to have Frank with me.  People would look at the two offerings and ask for a recommendation, which I was unable to provide since I have never tasted this cider and was not allowed to drink during my shift.  Frank told them that while the ‘Apple Crisp’ was the number 1 selling cider in the US, the ‘Apple Ginger’ one was their new offering which was gaining popularity.  That was indeed true, since many people were requesting that.  While Frank had me for company, Lindsey was by herself and so when the crowd started gathering at her station, I told Frank that I would move over to help her for a bit.  The ‘Tenacious Traveler’ had two offerings as well, ‘Lime Lemon’ and ‘Honey Ginger’.  It was the same routine as before, with people asking for recommendations and Lindsey helping them out.  Soon, the people were coming in droves and we were working non-stop.  It was open-pour-discard empty bottle-restock-repeat.  With there being no respite, I started appreciating the amount of work bartenders put in every day.  
We made a serious dent in the cooler
I saw some familiar faces such as Lisa, with whom I have done some Chicago Cares projects and my buddy Jason and his girlfriend Amy.  I also saw Sonia from Chicago Cares, whom I had met just a few hours earlier at ‘Serve-A-Thon’ after party.  She was so excited to see me that she wanted to take a picture together.  But it was not just the people that I knew who were chatting, there were others as well.  One guy kept coming back for the ginger cider and after his tenth visit – the organizers had asked us to stop marking off the pours - he kept saying that we had become like family!  Many said “Surprise Me”, when I asked for their choice and this was followed by some joke.  It was like this for the next few hours and I lost track of how many pours I had done.  Under normal circumstances it would have been exhausting work, but having been out since 7 am meant that every inch of my resolve was being tested.  Finally, at 10:30 pm the organizers called it quits and I was just about ready to fall down.  

Heather, who was in my Zone, and I started walking towards the entrance just as it started raining.  We waited for everyone to gather and Wilson asked us about our experience.  I said that it was the hardest I had worked and even though it had been tough, I could see myself coming back.  Polly, who was the EM, wasn’t very impressed with the organizers and complained that the volunteers had not been treated well - there being no water and no breaks.  She said that the organizers would hear from her about some of these issues and they better get some things changed in case we were to return back next year.  Even though it was late, a few of us went to get something to eat and then Wilson dropped me home.  It had been a long day, but a satisfying one.  It had been about leadership and camaraderie and also how there is no substitute for hard work.  And I had learned a lot; not least that cider is popular!  There are only a handful of days in a year which you look back upon as a highlight.  This was most certainly one of those.  There were several instances during the day and the evening which caused me to experience simultaneous feelings of nervousness and excitement.  But none like an email that I received towards the end of my shift at the Beer Festival.  I had been assigned my first Wish Child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment