Keep The Kids Running

Location: Girls On The Run
Date: Monday, August 19, 2013; 6:00-8:00 pm

I have elaborated before why I like going for this project and so had signed up to EC way in advance.  To my disappointment, a few days prior to us going there the organizers informed Wilson that they did not need us to come this evening.  But then a day later they changed their mind once again and the project was back on – not sure if Wilson had something to do with it!  Wilson picked me up at my office and we arrived at the site way in advance.  We chatted with the organizer regarding our responsibilities for the day and then it was just waiting for the volunteers, once again near the door with the broken bell.

We had the regulars this evening – Amanda, Franklin, Matt and Gary.  Plus we had Carey, who is a leader with Chicago Cares for the 3rd grade Arts & Crafts project at Henderson.  With our quorum achieved, we were ready to begin.  We moved to the basement, where we would be re-purposing unopened tote bags that had been returned from the previous races.  Inside were some coupons, which were to be recycled, bumper stickers, which were to be saved and energy bars, which were to be disposed because they had expired.  Things like this make me quite upset since there are a lot of hungry people in the world and all that was needed was to salvage these bars sooner, followed by donation to a food pantry or a shelter.  We split into two groups, with Amanda, Matt, Gary and Wilson in a truly depressing section of the basement; and Franklin, Carey and me in the other room.

Count those medals!
My job was to count various things, starting with the medals that were inside a bag.  There were several boxes containing many such bags and on my less inspired days I would have spent hours counting.  But, I just counted the medals in one bag, multiplied by the number of bags per box and then totaled the number of boxes to get a final number of the medals.  This done, I went over to the other group and teased them for being a bunch of slackers!  Wilson was pitching one of his cooking projects to the group saying that he required someone to bake.  I said that I was a trained chemist and thus could do it…though my synthetic chemistry left a lot to be desired and there are plenty of past colleagues who can attest to that!

We finished up in that room soon and everyone moved to the main basement area where Franklin and Carey were counting bags.  The bags were of two different types – one which had ‘Drake’ written on it besides the ‘Girls On The Run’.  As we looked through the bags, we found some additional goodies such as sunglasses, cologne spray and a headband.  All of these items needed to be separated for future events and the bags counted.  We separated the two types of bags and finished counting, thinking that we were done and thus much closer to going out for some ‘Tater Tots’. However, we then realized that we also had to count the bags in some of the boxes that were lined up against the wall.  Fortunately these bags were empty, but there were a lot of boxes. We bit our collective lips, got down to it and after what seemed like an eternity, we were done.  We had to move a lot of boxes, meaning that not only were we all covered with dust, but we were exhausted.  Who knew that a simple counting of the bags could be so tiring! 

The caption says it all
Before leaving, Wilson asked me to explain what the GOTR organization did. This was for the benefit of new comers like Carey and once I had explained, he said that I had done a terrible job. Irrespective of my spiel, we felt that we had truly done some real work today, though I did point out that all the bags that we had separated would need to be assembled soon enough for their next event.  Wilson, Amanda, Frank and I then went to our favorite haunt, ‘Silver Cloud’, and besides our usual ‘Tots’, ordered ‘Freshly baked chocolate chip cookie with ice cream’.  The cookie lasted for all of four minutes, though with all of the hard time that we had put in this evening, we had certainly earned it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment