Lakeview Seniors Pet Therapy…And Bingo

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, September 2, 2013; 6:15-7:45 pm

It had been over a week since I had done a project and almost 3 months since I had done this one. I arrived at Lakeview Nursing on this ‘Labor Day’ to see that people had already started gathering for the Bingo.  I was welcomed by Mary who said that she had not seen me for a long time and asked how to pronounce my name.  There were some of the other usual suspects present and everyone was settling into their favorite spots.  I went outside into the small waiting room where the dogs and their owners usually assemble and there were a few there, looking excitable as usual.  Leading the pack was a white fluffy thing that was quite adept at sanding on his two hind legs.  It was a Maltese named Oscar, and he jumped up raising both of his front paws in greeting.  Well, looks like humans and pets alike were pleased to see me.

Oscar greeting me!
Our Volunteer Leader Maria had her dog Bailey, and there was also a little Yorkie called Ernie, who was busy playing with his stuffed toy.  The dogs went to socialize with the residents in the Bingo room and I chatted with Fran and Wilson.  Maria then pulled us all out into the hallway and we were ready to pair up.  I was going to be with Ernie and his owner Juliana, and I knew that I was going to get along with the little fellow.  In fact, Ernie looked like a friendly dog that would be quite popular with the residents.  We started on the 3rd floor and visited some of the residents who enjoyed his company.  As usual, whenever we went into a room the residents wanted to know everything about Ernie.  I learned that he is 2 year old Yorkie pure bred and Juliana has had him since he was a pup resembling a tiny fur ball.  He was wearing a tiny bow and Juliana said that he had plenty of others at home.  His real name is Ernest, but she calls him that only when he has done something wrong and she has to reprimand him!  She also had another 19 year old dog at home but Ernie, being younger was the more active one.  Juliana is a filmmaker, with Ernie having been in many of her films.  I was in presence of a star, one who also had his own Instagram account with over 400 followers!

Ernie
Next we went over to see Hannah and she is always enthusiastic to receive visitors.  As usual, she asked me to open her drawer and pull out the picture of her cat Johnny B.  Then she told us the story of his kidnapping again and said that he is waiting for her to get back home.  I asked her how long she had been at Lakeview Nursing and she said 4 years.  She mentioned that she was now thinking of going to one of those faith healers to see if that would make her better so that she could leave.  She wondered if that would be free and I said that I highly doubted that.  When Hannah heard that Ernie is in Juliana’s movies, she mentioned that she herself had been an ‘Extra’ in movies as well – following in the footsteps of her mother.  Wow, I had been visiting with Hannah through this project for some time, but this was the first instance when I was hearing of it.  She said that even an ‘Extra’ makes decent money and encouraged me and Juliana to register with some talent agency and while we were at it, get an agent for Ernie as well!  The thought of me recruiting a talent agent for a movie was both hilarious and scary at the same time. 

Speaking of talent, Ernie is training to do tricks and other than jumping around excitedly, was very well behaved.  Juliana told me that he doesn't eat real people food and so does not stare at anyone when eating.  We said goodbye to Hannah and went to see Jerry, who is probably the most popular with dogs and Ernie took an instant liking to him.  He enjoyed that visit and our next stop was with a resident who was under a blanket which had monkeys printed on it.  I told her that I wanted one of those for myself, as Ernie allowed himself to be petted.  By now he was getting tired and so after a visit with Loritta, Juliana thought that it would be best for him if they left.  I saw them off at the front entrance and since Bingo was still on, stopped to see what my buddy Emma was up to.  Wilson was sitting with her, but told me that he had a ‘Red Cross emergency and so had to leave to deal with a fire.  I was more than happy to take his place since it is always a pleasure to play with her.  We instantly won a round which meant that she got a precious dollar, which she clutched in her hands tightly for the remainder of the game.  I went to drop her off in her room and met Kenny of the ‘Hawaii Five-O’ fame in the elevator.  He told me that the show had now moved to Friday’s from Monday’s and so he could now take his time leaving the Bingo room.  I left after that and it had been a pleasant conclusion to my evening, seeing Emma win.  Plus I had spent it with a movie star. Not bad for a lazy Labor Day!

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment