CFE Mailing Party-A-Go-Go

Location: Chicago Foundation For Education
Date: Tuesday, September 3, 2013; 5:45-8:15 pm

I had signed up to volunteer for this One Brick project, but the scheduled EC Jake asked me if I could take over for him.  I agreed since the only things I would have to differently was arrive with a clipboard having the sign-in sheet and name tags, and pick a place for the after party.  With the place decided and the paperwork in my bag, I arrived at the CFE building, where the guard asked me good-naturedly if I was in trouble since I was headed in the wrong direction at this time of the evening.  I went upstairs to check-in with Dave, who was the EM, and Julie, the site rep.  Once most of the volunteers had assembled, she gave us a rundown on the Foundations mission and our task for the evening. We would be stuffing 4 pieces of program materials into an envelope along with a cover sheet.  Once that was done, we were to seal the envelopes and label them.  Sounded easy enough but as we learned soon...oh boy!

The Supplies
We had plenty of volunteers tonight and there was more than enough work for us to need that many.  What we were struggling with was finding enough room for everyone.  Besides the main conference room where we had worked the last time, we also took over two other offices as well as the cubicles outside.  I went over to one of the offices along with 2 other volunteers and no sooner had we started, when we were joined by the one and only Charles Paul!  Now, Charles Paul is one of the most entertaining volunteers that I have worked with and I told the others that they were in for a fun evening.  I asked Charles Paul how his training was progressing for the artic marathon and he said that it was going to be his first marathon and that too in bitter cold.  With this, Charles Paul had established a launching pad for a rollicking discussion and as much as I would have loved to stay there, another volunteer had arrived and the room was now getting crowded.  So I moved to another task, telling everyone that I will be back to listen to the entertainment.

The Machine
The envelopes were piling up and they needed someone to seal them.  Julie joked that it would be by licking and I said the glue would either make someone extremely happy by the end of the evening; or dead if George Costanza was the supplier!  Fortunately they had a machine to do the sealing, which rapidly took in a stack of envelopes, sealed them, and delivered on the other side.  Julie showed me how to use it and I started feeding it some envelopes.  I noticed that besides sealing, the envelopes were also emerging out with postage stamped and I mentioned that to Julie.  She said that it should not be that way and that the machine was in the wrong setting.  The mailing run that CFE uses is either free or subsidized, so by putting stamps on the envelopes, the machine was costing them money.  Fortunately we had caught it early before any damage was done, though I realized later that the machine would periodically reset to the stamping mode and so I had to be careful to note what the settings were before feeding in a fresh stack.  The last thing I wanted to do was end up making a non-profit spend money!

The machine while quite efficient, was also making a lot of noise, something that I had to endure for most of the next two hours.  For all of its speed, people were making the packets at a rapid rate and so it was relentless in terms of the amount of envelopes passing through the sealer.  I was going into the different rooms to collect the stacks and once sealed, dropping them off with Dave, who alongside Julie had started the labeling process.  The group in the main room had music going whereas the other group had Charles Paul holding court.  Once when I walked in to collect their stack for sealing, I heard him asking them the most interesting place that they had visited.  Next time it was chatting about everyone’s favorite Michelle Pfeiffer movie.  On my next visit I heard them talk about “Zen” and then it was about him learning French.  I asked him if there was an equation for doing tonight's task in a more efficient way and of course he said that there was. Whether people were being enthralled or tolerating him, there was no mistaking that he was the life of the room. 

The Stacks
A first time volunteer was working in one of the cubicles and thus isolated from the groups in the different rooms.  I told her that it wasn’t always like this and she should definitely consider coming back!  Since I was busy carrying stacks upon stacks of sealed envelopes for labeling – which were now piling up on cabinets – another volunteer Tony, had joined me in the sealing room to help out.  He was also a newcomer and a chef specializing in French cuisine. Stuffing and sealing envelopes seemed like a waste of his talents and I told him to look at some of the cooking projects that One Brick has. Dave and Julie were making a valiant attempt at labeling everything, but there was no way we were going to finish it this evening.  All the envelopes had been stuffed and sealed, and I asked Julie what she would do if she realized after all of this that one of the key documents had been left out of each of the envelopes! Dave said that for her sanity and my personal safety, I should withdraw this question and looking at the big stacks, he was right.  We left for the night after she had profusely thanked us for our help, saying that it would have taken their staff hours to do it without our help. I was proud of our volunteers who had worked really hard.  Well, at least they had Charles Paul for company. As for me, I think that  noise of the machine sealing the envelopes is going to be permanently etched on my brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment