McDonald’s 2014 Thanksgiving Day Parade

Location: State Street
Date: Thursday, November 28, 2013; 6:45-10:45 am

“In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines
Lived twelve little girls in two straight lines
In two straight lines they broke their bread
And brushed their teeth and went to bed.
They left the house at half past nine
In two straight lines in rain or shine-
The smallest one was Madeline.”
- Ludwig Bemelmans

I had no idea what Thanksgiving Day was…not for many years.  Then my first year in graduate school I was invited for a Thanksgiving party.  Many years have passed since that day, but Thanksgiving Day for me has become a special occasion.  I have so many good memories of spending Thanksgiving Day with friends, watching football and that sense of togetherness and family.  I have said before that there are a few days in a year that one should not be alone.  Birthdays are one and Thanksgiving Day is definitely on that list.  For that reason I usually prefer travelling to visit friends on Thanksgiving Day, but today was special.  I had an opportunity to do something that I had never imagined would be possible in my life.  I was going to carry a balloon in the 'McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade'.  I was to be part of an occasion that would be watched by many, either live or on TV.  If I had grandchildren, this is one of the things I would be telling them about with pride.

A few days prior to the parade I was told that I would be carrying ‘Balloon H’, whatever that turned out to be.  Looking at the weather forecast I knew that it was going to be cold and so bundled up with plenty of layers, including double socks and think gloves.  We had been asked to assemble in a place called ‘The Hosteling International Chicago’ at 6:45 am.  I took a cab to the venue and as I entered the building, I saw a huge crowd. There were volunteers everywhere and many were having breakfast before being dispatched for their duties.  I checked-in with a gentleman and he told me to head to a parking lot that was one block south.  I had some coffee and headed there just as we started getting some light outside. 

It was going to take all of that Helium!
I recognized the place owing to a balloon that was already being inflated and it was the only one that was edging it’s way upward.  I was told that I would be on “Madeline’, though I had no clue what that meant.  I picked up my shirt and headband and put it over the other layers that I already had, not that it was much comfort in the cold.  I looked around the parking lot and saw a huge truck carrying multiple long cylinders that contained Helium.  Spread out throughout the lot were several flat balloons and they were enormous, even while deflated.  I could recognize a few such as ‘Garfield’, ‘Curious George’ and even my old friend ‘Tweety’, who had been a handful when we had practiced at the school.  Now, at this stage I must point out that I was clueless when it came to knowing who or what ‘Madeline’ was, having never seen what she looked like, let alone read any books or seen any shows.  I did see a sign saying ‘Balloon H’ and so went there to wait with the group. 

How 'Madeline' looked when I found her
The inflation process was taking a long time and looking at it I just knew that we were in for a long wait in the cold.  And boy was it cold.  As I tried to walk about a bit to maintain some circulation in my limbs, the balloon company guys were hard at work going from one balloon to another to hook it up to the tanks.  They said that if we feeling cold, they had been out here since 3:45 am!  But looking at them you wouldn’t think that they were in any ways uncomfortable, since they were in great spirits and joking with everyone.  They came over to inflate 'Madeline' and I grabbed a cord, as had been instructed during our training.  At first there didn’t seem to be enough cords for everyone, but soon the guys tied some more and our team was now all around her.  My group had a big family with parents, grandparents, kids and even uncles and aunts.  In fact, there were families on many other balloons as well.  It seems to be a Thanksgiving tradition for these folks, to do this and then go for their dinner…and what a lovely tradition it is. 

‘Madeline’ was inflated and now we were waiting for our turn to leave.  The parade had already begun and from my spot I could see the long queue of floats and marching bands going past us down State Street.  It was a slow procession and considering we were the 8th balloon to depart, it was going to be a long time before we left, especially since they were letting balloons join the parade periodically and were spaced out.  By this time my hands and feet were numb and I wasn’t the only one who was suffering.  People were trying to find various ways to distract themselves and since I was holding ‘Madeline’s’ hand, one gentleman came and asked if he could give her a high-5.  I pulled on the string and lowered her hand so that he could do it and then it was back to waiting.

In the parade
Finally, at 9:40 am we were asked to proceed to the entrance of the lot since our turn was coming up soon.  As we walked towards the gate, it was evident that ‘Madeline’ needed more air.  The guys came and filled some more, but she still wasn’t flying.  We were supposed to join the parade after ‘Miss Chicago’ and I could see her pass by, meaning fly or not, ‘Madeline’ was joining the procession.  Our instructor was leading us but with he lack of air, it seemed more like we were carrying ‘Madeline’ on her back, though we were making all efforts to prop her up.  We walked down State Street dragging her in front of the spectators though unlike me, the thousands who had gathered actually knew of ‘Madeline’ and so were cheering us.  We were trying hard to get her upright and though she was putting up a fight, just before we got to the TV zone something miraculous happened – ‘Madeline’ flew!

My Thanksgiving Day companion
It was spectacular walking down State Street and we were waving to the cheering crowd, and despite the cold, I was having a tremendous time.  It reminded me why I had enjoyed doing the Pride Parade earlier this year and as we walked past the TV cameras, even though I was dressed like the ‘Tick’ and wouldn’t be recognized, I did not care.  We had waited an eternity but the actual walk seemed like it was over in an instant.  We turned on Randolph Street and waited till our instructor deflated ‘Madeline’, which took all of two minutes.  She had been temperamental, but it was wonderful having her as our companion this morning, never mind that I was frozen beyond belief.  The 3-hour wait had been worth the 15-minute walk.  I did not go back to the starting point to collect my goody bag, instead rushing into a coffee shop for some hot chocolate.  No one in my group had complained about the cold, let alone the people who were helping us.  I had never in my life thought that I would be a part of something special like this…never.  And though I had not heard of her before this morning, I knew that I would never forget ‘Madeline’ for the rest of my life.

Epilogue
I told all everyone who would listen that I had carried ‘Madeline’ in the parade.  My friend Christine from Pittsburgh had responded with a few quotes from the book and had claimed it to be an iconic read for girls as they grow up.  A few weeks later I received a Christmas present in the mail and as I opened it, there was the book, ‘Madeline' by Ludwig Bemelmans. Inside it was a note from Christine, her husband Jason and their daughter Meredith,

“Christmas 2013
To our friend Ritesh,
Who always finds the magic and poetry in the simplest of things.
Love,
Christine, Jason & Meredith”

I may have spent this Thanksgiving morning in the company of strangers, away from people who care about me.  But it had given me an opportunity like no other…something that I would cherish forever.  As I read my friend’s note for the umpteenth time, I knew she was right about one thing.  It had been an utterly magical experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment