McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade School

Location: The Museum Of Science And Industry
Date: Saturday, November 9, 2013; 7:45-11:00 am

I am a member of the ‘Chicago Fun Volunteers’ Meetup group and months ago an opportunity showed up to volunteer at the ‘McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade’ in Chicago.  Having heard of the iconic parade in New York City; a couple of years ago I got up early on Thanksgiving morning and went to catch a glimpse of the parade on State Street in Chicago.  Unfortunately I was stuck behind the crowd and couldn't see much other than the giant balloons in the air.  This time, there was an opportunity to not only be in the parade, but to also be one of the balloon handlers.  How cool was that!  There were many different roles, but once I saw the balloon handler one, there was no question what I would be requesting. I submitted my application and a few months went by till one day I received an email that I had been selected and indeed, I would be a balloon handler.  Yes, I had done a parade before, but this one was different.  It was a nationally televised event on one of the most celebrated holidays of the year.  Yeah, I had come a long way.

The first order of business was to attend a training session which they had termed as “balloon school”.  This was a mandatory requirement for all balloon handlers and I had been receiving an email from a guy called Tillman for days leading up to the school.  He also asked if I wanted to come help paint the street on Monday of the Thanksgiving week, something that I declined.  Besides attending the balloon school, we were required to volunteer at the school and so were called in at 7:45 am on a Saturday morning.  I arrived and was directed inside to the check-in area where I found Tillman and asked how I could be of assistance. Initially he thought of sending me out to help direct people, but there were more than enough volunteers who were already doing that and so I was sent to the auditorium to wait.  There were several people who were already there, including a lady who was calling herself “Elmo” and chatting with everyone, while occasionally bursting into a song.

'Tweety Bird!'
There was indeed a lot of waiting and finally at 8:30 am, a lady came and said that she was looking for some volunteers to help out with the balloon inflation.  I jumped at this opportunity and went outside to see a giant yellow thing that would eventually inflate into the ‘Tweety Bird’.  I saw a group of people holding ropes and as I approached the bird, I was told to choose a rope and hang on for dear life. A lot of cylinders were being employed for inflating the bird and one gentleman was in charge of regulating the flow.  It was extremely windy outside and it was proving to be a challenge to maintain a proper grip on the rope as the bird expanded.  There were several experienced balloon handlers as well as the man from the balloon company to guide novices like me.  As the balloon inflated, I was to loosen the rope and walk backwards.  Once the bird was completely inflated, we were to walk forward and stand directly beneath our anchor point, where the ropes were tied to the balloon.  It was taking a long time to inflate and it became more difficult to control the balloon with the wind, especially as the bird grew taller.  In fact, the balloon guy said that if the day of the parade dawned with heavy gusts, there would be no balloons in the parade.  Now that would definitely be a bummer.

He was finally up
Finally the bird had been fully inflated and most of the anchors had been tied to sandbags.  I went back to the auditorium to await further instructions. The program commenced with opening remarks from the organizers, followed by a police officer who went over the safety and emergency procedures on the day off the parade.  After some time, I and 90 others from “Balloon Group B” were asked to go back outside for training.  We were split into 3 groups of 30 each and I was assigned to Group 1.  I grabbed hold of a rope, untied it from the sandbag and grasped it tightly.  We had been told to not wrap the rope around our hands as that can lead to potential accidents.  Once all 30 people in my group had got hold of a rope, we did various exercise like walking, lowering, raising, turning etc.  The balloon guy from the company was like a drill sergeant leading us in a drill, but was a terrific tutor.  The wind was playing havoc and it was one the most difficult things that I have done while having the most fun at the same time.

And away
We handed the ropes to the next group of 30 and I watched them for a bit as they practiced.  Next to me was a gentleman who has functioned as a balloon handler before and he was telling me that it was important to get the right position on the balloon.  I thought that this was so as to get a good grip, but it was for the TV cameras.  During the parade the TV cameras are placed on the right side of the road and so everyone who is a handler on that side of the balloon has a good chance of ending up on TV.  I said that I would try to remember that so as to get my 15 seconds of fame.  The hands-on training part was done, but there was still orientation to be had and so once again, I went back into the auditorium as “Balloon Group A” left for their handling exercises.  One of the organizers got on stage and for the next 20 minutes told us about what to expect on the parade route.  He said that it was his 10th year with the parade and he had started off being a volunteer like us.  He said that in total there would be 12 balloons in the parade and some of them were brand new.  Other than the wind, the balloons would be in the parade, come rain or snow.  So we were to dress appropriately and be prepared to face the elements.  There were a few questions, most on rope handling and I learned that some of the experienced handlers usually got a homemade roller like contraption around which they rolled the rope, which makes it easier when slack is required. 

The orientation was at an end and we were free to leave.  However, we had also received museum passes for the day and this being one of my favorite visitor spots in Chicago, I decided to explore for a few hours.  There was a special ‘Walt Disney’ exhibit that was currently on and having grown up reading Disney comic books and with my love of the animated movies, I was delighted at this opportunity.  I even attended a drawing class where I and several others were taught how to draw a perfect “Mickey Mouse”.  As I read the history on how Disney had started his empire, one thing became clear. Despite the enormous financial success that he achieved; Disney’s main intention was to bring joy to millions – young and old alike.  There is a similar feeling that a giant balloon evokes amongst everyone.  I have never seen anything but a smile on people’s faces when they see a balloon in a parade or at any other venue.  And I was going to be able to carry one of those – in one of the year's premiere events for our city.  Never in my life had I imagined that a day like this would come.  But then I had always thought that my life would take a different direction.  That’s what makes every day so interesting, and Thanksgiving Day 2013 would be one such occasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment