Get Into Character! Record Children's Book With Jumpstart!

Location: Jumpstart Offices
Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013; 6:00-8:00 pm

The previous time I had done this project, I had declared it my favorite One Brick event. And why not!  We had recorded Children’s Books, and had done so with much enthusiasm and also somewhat passable skills.  So when Laura mentioned that they had requested us to come back, I was excited as can be.  However, the original date that had been proposed did not work for me and I persuaded Laura to move it to this date.  All that it cost me was a “Spiked Milkshake”, which I promised to get Laura after the project, and I thought that it was an extremely small price to pay for an evening of fun.  Laura kept reminding me of this whenever we met at other projects, but I was looking forward to this one…not to mention one of those milkshakes for myself!  I arrived at the location and saw Laura at the door.  The look on her face told me that something was amiss and indeed, she said that instead of recording tonight we would be making kits that were going to be distributed at schools.  Well, what is it they say about the “Best laid schemes of mice and men…”

From the looks of it, I wasn’t the only one who was disappointed.  One of the other volunteers had come with her friend who was a voice-over artist and when she realized that we wouldn’t be recording, they decided to leave.  This upset Laura and any thoughts I had of protesting disappeared.  Well, even with this minor hiccup there were enough familiar faces for me to have an enjoyable time.  We went upstairs and met with the ladies in charge, Alana and Rachel.  Before we could begin, we were asked to sign a long two-sided liability form and it felt as if we were signing away our life.  I said as much and Alana replied that’s exactly what we were doing!  Our task for the evening was to insert into a plastic bag things like some pamphlets, two sets of Bingo cards, a set to make tambourines – which included two punched paper plates – colored tie wraps and mini cowbells.  It looked like it was time for another good old-fashioned assembly line.

The Bingo Card
While the rest of our folks lined up to start inserting the stuff, they needed a couple of people to cut the bingo squares.  Irina, who was in attendance, and I retired to another room and sat down with a stack of paper in front of us.  Printed on it were 3 rows of 6 squares each, and had pictures of a puppy, kitten, baby etc.  Wherever this game of Bingo was to be played, it promised to be a lot of fun.  One thing I have realized when cutting paper is the importance of finding the right scissors.  I am not referring to the sharpness, but rather the grip.  There was a box full of scissors in front of us and I tried a few before settling on the one I felt comfortable with.  Well, even with that there was a lot of paper to be cut and while Irina and I were having a good time chatting, soon my fingers started getting tired.  After an hour or so, two other volunteers came in to take over the cutting duties and I went outside to work on the assembly line. 

I positioned myself at the head of the line, meaning I had to take the plastic bag, insert the main page in it and pass it downstream.  For all those who think this is an easy task, I have news for you.  Putting a paper sheet inside a plastic bag that is hell-bent on sticking together can be a bit annoying, especially when people after you are staring when there is a delay.  The last thing anyone wants to be is a bottleneck and I was scrambling as fast as possible.  However, working in that group had its perks since there was a lot of chatter going on, especially as regards movies based on book series – something I could contribute towards.  We started with the ‘Harry Potter’ series and continued with ‘The Hunger Games’ and the upcoming ‘Divergent’, thankfully skipping over the totally unnecessary ‘Twilight’ saga.  The main discussion was if there should be the same Director for each of the movies, since a change might affect the overall interpretation of the story and characters, something that the fans dislike seeing.  I said that while it was a valid point, making a movie is a herculean task and with the pressure from the studios to release sequels in rapid succession, it is very difficult to do pre, production and post on different movies back-to-back – unless you are Peter Jackson with unlimited resources. 
 
The Kit
With all of this discussion, time was flying by, though we were all working non-stop. At one stage I got a paper cut and while it is a very trivial thing, the sting from a paper cut is one of the most irritating feelings.  One of the volunteers Molly said that I should put some chapstick on it, which was something I had not heard of before.  To my surprise – and relief – I found it to be an effective solution, though I did take advantage of this to take a break to check on how the cutting team was doing.  When I came back Molly, who had taken over the paper stuffing duties, readily handed my old job back to me, saying it was difficult to force a paper into a new plastic bag.  Now that’s what I’m talking about!

Our time was nearly up and we had managed to stuff 600 of the 825 kits that they required.  Rachel said that these kits were going to be sorted by college kids and then sent to the schools.  Before leaving there was more paperwork to fill out, this time it was a survey with questions regarding our volunteer experience, such as “Will this experience encourage you to volunteer again?”  I joked with Laura that I was having second thoughts, but I gave top grades to everything, and then it was time for milkshakes.  As promised I got one for Laura, even though it was not the activity I had hoped for.  Nevertheless we had once again enjoyed a nice evening and yes, even with a paper cut, this experience would most certainly encourage me to volunteer again…hopefully for recording the next time we come here.

No comments:

Post a Comment