Valentine’s Day Special: Lakeview Pantry West

Location: Lakeview Pantry West
Date: Friday, February 14, 2014; 10:30 am-12:30 pm

It was ‘Valentine’s Day’ again and while it was not going to be a multiple project run like last year, I had taken a day off and was looking to do at least one project.  The problem was that Chicago Cares does not have any projects on Friday and neither did One Brick or Make-A-Wish or any other organization on ‘Volunteer Match’.  So I approached someone with whom I had started my day last year, ‘Lakeview Pantry’. I wrote to Carrie and she got me in touch with the person who schedules volunteers and after a few tries, we managed to get me appointed for a morning shift.  Wilson was going to be in attendance as well – of course – and so he picked me up in the morning, and we arrived to find that there were a lot of people there; including a group of special needs kids.  They were volunteering with their teachers and it wasn’t their first time there, this being a regular program to help with their social skills.  It was going to be great sharing this day with them.

If only the flowers were this pretty
Under the watchful eyes of their caregivers, the kids were helping with sorting fruit, stocking shelves and getting food out from the refrigerator.  It was crowded in there and Carrie asked if I could help organize the counter space.  There were several bags there that needed to be consolidated and other cardboard boxes that needed to be cleaned out.  I asked if she wanted me to break-down these boxes, but she said that it was one of the tasks that the kids enjoyed doing and so I should leave it for them.  In fact they all looked happy doing their tasks and had huge smiles on their faces.  The teachers were doing a great job of ensuring that all of the kids got a chance to work and while doing so, were following instructions.  Next, Carrie asked me to throw out some roses that had been donated, but now looked like they were drying out.  I found a bunch that still looked good and gave it to Carrie’s assistant Caitlin.  Hey, after all it was a day to do these kinds of things!

I went over to help out a kid who was sorting Oranges and he was very good at picking out the bad ones and throwing them away.  After that we did the same for limes and lemons, consolidating crates to ensure that all of them were full and efficiently packed.  One kid kept coming up to me and speaking in Spanish and as much as I would have loved to have had a conversation with him, I do not understand a single word of the language and so was just smiling.  The kids were waiting for the ‘GCFD’ truck to arrive so that they could help with the sorting, but it was running late and they had to leave at 11 am.  As they left, Wilson was encouraging everyone to pick up a banana from the crate by the door.  One kid took a couple of bananas, an orange and some potatoes, and his teacher gave him a talking to regarding not taking something that didn't belong to, or was offered to him.  To his credit he listened closely, apologized and then returned everything back.

Everyone left and then it was just Carrie, Wilson and me waiting for the truck to arrive; which it did in due course.  There was approximately 3000 lbs of food that needed to be transferred and so we got to work.  Typically it’s just the driver who helps Carrie and it isn't even his job to do so.  I told Wilson that he needed to get on Meetup and recruit people to help her out.  I started by transferring a lot of eggs, which was followed by huge boxes of milk, which were extremely heavy.  I stored them in the refrigerator and then it was frozen meat that went into the freezer.  Finally there were canned goods – a staple of this place.  It was definitely faster with the 4 of us and I could only imagine how difficult it must be for Carrie without anyone else.  The driver left and then Wilson and I started storing the canned goods in the shelves behind the counters.  This was taking time and allowed us to chat with Carrie, who is a delightful company to converse with on any topic.  Today it was various accents and she mentioned how everyone’s accents are usually set by the time they turn 11 years old.  The front was looking quite stocked and so we moved to the pantry in the back to shelve the remaining cans.  At my last visit here it had been overflowing and today it looked very bare.  I asked Carrie about it and she said that it was because the holidays were over and so the food drives that people usually have during then no longer existed.  It’s funny that people think that holidays are the only time to do such activities, since hunger knows no season or no special occasion.  I commend people who help out during that time of the year, but it’s also important to remember that showing compassion is a year-long duty. 

We finished storing and came outside to see if Carrie had any other task for which she required our help.  She said that she was all set and I asked if there were any flyers that she had, for distribution to people who needed help. She said that someone had in fact printed some cards with a map to this place so that people could come and get food.  I left with Wilson after another special day.  This truly is a great program with a great leader in Carrie.  Plus, working with those kids had been amazing.  It had been another successful ‘Valentine’s Day’ for sure.

Epilogue
The 'Candygram' bags
I was asked by someone if volunteering is my idea of how ‘Valentine’s Day’ should be celebrated, considering that it was my 2nd year in a row doing this.  Now, my views on this day have been documented and I for one have always strongly believed in its significance.  I also believe that the most important thing for this day is to show someone that you care.  That someone could be one person, or many, or even a community.  It could be a loved one or strangers.  It’s the act that matters.  I have mentioned about my Company’s ‘Culture Crew’ in another post.  One of the initiatives that we did for 'Valentine's Day' was ‘Candygrams’, where people could buy a candy for a colleague whom they appreciated and we would put a sticker with a nice message and deliver the candy to their desk. We were even going to donate the proceeds to 'American Heart Association' - get it, heart for love! There was an overwhelming response to this and our orders came thick and fast.  I had requested constant update on this though, because like one of the other appreciation initiatives, I wanted us to ensure that every employee got at least one candy…every single one of them.  I will say it again, if you are going to do an initiative like this on a company-wide scale, it has to be all inclusive.  Else in my eyes it is a failure.  Fortunately there was another person who thought the same way and while I sent candy to only those who had been left out, at the last minute he sent one to every single person in the office.  Hat’s off to you Sir.  The night before we stayed back and made individual bags of candies, and then went to every one’s desk and left their bag for them to find as soon as they came in on ‘Valentine’s Day’ morning.  As I crisscrossed the office doing this, I felt the same satisfaction, pride and happiness as I would at the pantry. 

As I said in my very first post, it’s really not the thing that you fling…it’s the fling itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment