Valentine’s Day Special III: Just For Starters Sweetheart Bingo At The Imperial


Location: The Imperial Nursing Home
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013; 6:30-7:45 pm

It was Valentine's Day for sure!
I had a short window to get from Chicago House to Imperial Nursing, but in the end arrived with a few minutes to spare.  I had been to Imperial Bingo once before, but owing to Valentine’s Day, this one had been titled ‘Sweetheart Bingo’ and that theme was prevalent in the decorations around us.  I met our Volunteer leader Amber, with whom I had worked previously on another project and who was leading for the first time.  She could not have picked a better occasion since the activities room had been transformed into something wonderful.  There were red table cloths and even artificial rose petals at the center of each table.  We were sure to give the residents a great evening.

The prize's for the evening
Amber had a very good selection of prizes and would also be calling the game.  I went and sat with two ladies, Cindy and Wanda.  Cindy is unable to see, which means she would definitely need help.  Usually an attendant sits with her, but he was busy getting some of the other residents down to the activities room.  She moved her hands around the table to ensure that there were Bingo cards and coins in front of her and asked if anyone was there.  I replied in the affirmative, pleased that despite the setback, she was eager to participate.  Wanda was a laidback individual who would require some help as well.  At this moment another resident was bought into the room and she occupied the table next to me.  Instantly, the energy of the area around us changed for she looked like someone who was full of life and had plenty of stories.  She said her name was Susan and liked the number ‘7’, insisting that the volunteer at her table go and find cards which had that. 

Susan's Ring!
Susan and I quickly started a conversation which turned into a friendly banter.  She said that she grew up on a farm in Wisconsin with pigs, cows and chickens.  She pronounced chickens as “chikons”, and corrected me when I did it the right way.  I asked about all the cheese in Wisconsin and she pointed at herself and said, “That’s why I am like this”, hinting at her weight.  I pointed at a picture of a cow in the room and she said, “Oh, I thought you were referring to me”.  Man, I was liking her by the minute.  She was wearing a flamboyant heart shaped pink ring with ‘I <3 you’ on it.  I complimented her on it and said that she was one of the few people who could wear such a thing and get away with it.  She asked if I wanted it and said “Susan, the ladies outside would be chasing me down the street if I wore something like this”.  At this, everyone laughed, including the volunteer at her table. 

Amy's prize
There was still a game to be played and Amber started calling the numbers.  I joined Cindy and Wanda and started helping them, though Cindy very quickly had an incident and started yelling.  This prompted Tony, the attendant who usually sat with her to take her back to the room.  He told me not to worry and continue helping Wanda.  Every time Amber called a number with seven in it, I would look at Susan and point.  She would acknowledge that shrug indicating that she was still ways off from winning. 

In the meanwhile another lady had joined our table, taking over Cindy’s spot and cards.  She said her name was Amy and needed some help listening to numbers.  I was happy to comply and together we won a game.  Amber came with the gift’s cart and Amy chose a small statue of a bird.  She said that she liked birds and her daughter had even sent her two mockingbirds at one time.  After a while she won again and this time took a loofa with a handle. 

Who needs coins when there are petals
While everyone around me was winning, poor Susan was having no such luck.  Her heart was set on a stuffed toy that Amber had and I was determined to win for her.  Never had I concentrated so hard on my Bingo card as I did this evening.  Even though I came close several times, soon we were down to the last prize – bath salts.  Since the nursing home does not have any baths, the residents had avoided picking this one and Amber seemed a bit embarrassed to have it on the cart, though she couldn't have known.  Very soon somebody took that as well and the game was over.  Amy had done well and I said so.  She replied saying she wanted to win more and asked if it was wrong to be so greedy.  "Human nature”, I replied and she nodded. 

I asked Susan if she needed help getting to her room and she said she wouldn’t mind.  Failure to win had not dampened her spirits and she was constantly chattering as I took her down the hallway.  She pointed at the fish tank and said she wanted the little sharks.  I said what made her think that there were sharks in there and she said they are fish and all fish are sharks.  It had been a wonderful evening chatting with her and I bid her goodnight at the elevators and returned to find Amber had almost finished wrapping things up.  To thank the volunteers for coming out on Valentine’s evening, she had made cookies and gave me my bag of a pair of brilliantly decorated heart shaped cookies.

As I walked back to the train station, I saw several folks walking with bouquets of flowers rushing to get to their dates.  I have heard countless arguments by people who claim that Valentine’s Day is just another holiday invented by card companies to sell more gifts.  “If you love someone why would you only demonstrate it on a single day”, they ask.  Now it’s perfectly alright for everyone to have an opinion, but I am never going to subscribe to their line of thinking.  I think it is fantastic to have day of celebration… any day, any occasion.  Just because parents, families and friends celebrate somebody’s birthday on a single day does not mean they love them less for the rest of year.  Celebrations are reminders of what’s important in life and how we should cherish the time given to us.  So there are certain day’s like Birthday, Thanksgiving, New Year’s Eve that I feel are extremely important to spend with your loved ones and Valentine’s Day is definitely at the top of the list. 

My Valentine's Day gift
I stopped for a pizza and managed to find a place amidst all the couples out celebrating the evening.  I looked inside my bag and found the souvenir that I had picked up at ‘Uncle Fun’s’, earlier that day.  It was a deck of cards with writings on them and I read through the entire collection.  Then I looked at Amber’s cookies.  I had wanted to tell her how much they had meant to me because it was the only gift I had received that day.  But this wouldn't have been accurate, because I had received a lot more.  I had met Carrie and seen what they do at Lakeview Pantry; also having an opportunity to work with Wilson.  I had been a part of the most wonderfully joyous game of football at Chicago House, not because of its competitiveness or the skill of the players, but rather the lack of it.  But the thing which I will always remember and which gets me every time I think about it is what Amy said at the end of Bingo at Imperial.  She had asked if I worked for the nursing home and I said no and that I was just a volunteer.  She paused what she was doing and looked me straight in the eye and said, “Just a volunteer.  No you are not just a volunteer”

At that moment, almost ten hours after I had left my apartment to go to my first appointment, I knew it had all been worth it. I had made a difference.

Valentine’s Day; noun: A Day for the exchange of tokens of affection

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment